Coalition to Decommission San Onofre
Direct link to this page: http://copswiki.org/Common/CoalitionToDecommissionSanOnofre
This group is a party to the investigation by the California Public Utilities Commission.
Parent topic is: Shut San Onofre
SDGE's public web page for similar purposes: http://www.sdge.com/regulatory-filing/4011/songs-investigation
Help to Fund our continuing activities!
-- Click here: Donate To Citizens Oversight
Make a Donation
and we'll send you some bumper stickers so you can make the "WE SHUTDOWN SAN ONOFRE" bumper sign you see here! (Don't worry, these bumper stickers have easy-removal adhesive that will not hurt your car's paint!) Just cut the W and E out of one and stick it above the other. If you already have a sticker on your car, please add "WE" and enjoy the pleasure of WINNING A BIG ONE!
The CPUC investigation has been divided into a four phases. These are somewhat arbitrary, and in our view, are designed to defer the really spicy "who's responsible" to far in the future when it may never happen at all. For reference, the phases are as follows:
See the scoping ruling for details
- Nature and effects of the steam generator failures in order to assess the reasonableness of SCE’s consequential actions and expenditures (e.g., was it reasonable to remove fuel from unit #3).
- Whether 2012 SONGS-related expenses recorded in the SONGSMA are reasonable and necessary, including,
- 100% of O&M, including segregated safety-related costs;
- 100% of cost-savings from personnel reductions and other avoided costs;
- 100% of maintenance and refueling outage expenses; and
- 100% of capital expenditures.
- A review of the reasonableness and effectiveness of SCE’s actions and expenditures for community outreach and emergency preparedness related to the SONGS outages.
- Other issues as necessary to determine whether SCE should refund any rates preliminarily authorized in the 2012 GRC, in light of the changed facts and circumstances of the unit outages; and if so, when the refunds should occur.
During the Phase 1 proceedings, ALJ Darling defined a Phase 1A which deals only with replacement power costs.
- Review of Phase 1 A -- A review of the documents and issues related to Phase 1A in preparation for creating a brief on the matter.
whether any reductions to SCE’s rate base and SCE’s 2012 revenue requirement are warranted or required due to the extended SONGS outages;
- Review of Phase 2 -- A review of the documents and issues related to Phase 2 in preparation for reply briefs and evidentiary hearing.
causes of the SG damage and allocation of responsibility, whether claimed SGRP expenses are reasonable, including review of utility-proposed repair and/or replacement cost proposals using cost-effectiveness analysis and other factors; and
if needed, whether SCE’s 2013 revenue requirement should be adjusted to reflect lower-than-forecast O&M, Capex, replacement power costs, and other SONGS expenses.
Nuclear Decommissioning Cost Triennial Review Proceeding
We DID it! Southern California Edison's surprise announcement June 7, 2013 that San Onofre Nuclear Plant will permanently shut down was most welcome news.
Thank You very much for your support in our epic struggle! This David over Goliath victory definitely deserves celebration; and our grassroots success to Keep San Onofre Shut will have an extended one, even as:
We move forward with the major work that still remains:
To support our grassroots Intervener Team’s dynamic work at the CPUC, CEC and NRC, please go to our Donation Page: http://www.copswiki.org/Common/DonateToCitizensOversight
We are looking to our network of supporters for financial help to continue our fight on behalf of the ratepayers, residents, businesses and local government services who bear the burden of this defective nuclear power plant.
The Coalition to Decommission San Onofre (CDSO) is a grassroots project of Citizens Oversight, Inc., a 501(c)(3) public benefit corporation which encourages increased engagement by the public in the operation of their local, state and federal government to reduce waste, fraud and abuse by public officials. Our Coalition member organizations also include the Peace Resource Center of San Diego, San Clemente Green, San Diego Earthkeepers, San Onofre Safety.org and Women Occupy San Diego.
Our CDSO Intervener Team is led by 20-year CPUC veteran Martha Sullivan and Ray Lutz, the National Coordinator for Citizens Oversight and an engineer who has intervened at the U.S. NRC on San Onofre operating license specifications.
- At the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) and other state agencies, WE WILL continue advocating for ratepayers vs. Southern California Edison’s (SCE) and San Diego Gas & Electric’s (SDG&E) corporate interests; and
- At the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) as plans for SAFE decommissioning of the San Onofre plant are formalized; including the safety of continuing on-site storage of 1632 metric tons of high-level nuclear waste.
- Unlike our SCE and SDG&E counterparts, we don't have ratepayer or shareholder funding for OUR advocacy and we operate very frugally.
Our CDSO Intervener Team WILL NOT be kept on a leash!
THANKS to everyone’s initial contributions, the CDSO Team travelled to S.F. for a week last month, and participated in the first round of Evidentiary Hearings in the CPUC's formal Investigation into the San Onofre Outage. Here’s what we accomplished:
- Don Bauder of the San Diego Reader recently wrote about the uphill climb faced by truth-tellers at the CPUC: "An organization participating in a commission decision 'lives or dies by intervener compensation,' says Bill Powers of San Diego’s Powers Engineering. Therefore, the commission 'has you on a leash.' Interveners become resigned to 'fighting at the margins, not challenging the basic premise — and [the commission’s] basic premise is to make sure that the revenue of utilities is ever increasing.'” (from http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2013/apr/24/citylights1-electric-rates/ )
A Busy Summer for the CDSO Intervener Team!
- Starting off in a BIG way, we persuaded the two Administrative Law Judges (ALJs) presiding over the hearings to reverse their previous ruling and Webcast the rest of the week's hearings.
- There is no video of Day 1 (Monday, May 13, 2013), but our oral argument was made following CDSO's Ray Lutz challenging the ruling banning video cameras or live-streaming in the hearing room by unobtrusively setting up and running a video camera at the rear of the hearing room before the official start of the hearing. A CHP officer was summoned to enforce the ALJs' ruling; but Ray had already taken down the camera and re-joined the audience to participate in the proceedings. See the CPUC trying to bully RayLutz to remove his camera "I would have continued the confrontation but we wanted to also have a seat and the table and not ruin our chances for positive rulings, so I relented after making my point. See the page on this issue to also see the complaint letter we sent to the CPUC to allow us to follow up with a lawsuit.
- Throughout the week of Evidentiary Hearings at the CPUC in May, CDSO’s team of Martha Sullivan and Ray Lutz cross-examined several SCE witnesses and SCE’s decision-making in 2012, which resulted in hundreds of millions of dollars spent above and beyond CPUC-authorized levels due to the defective steam generators. We highlighted SCE’s jingoistic communications with the community about the outage and emergency preparedness:
CDSO will also continue to monitor the NRC actions and decisions related to San Onofre, especially as the NRC initiates its formal Decommissioning Structure in the coming weeks. It is ESSENTIAL that we continue to play an active Citizen Watchdog role, which proved to be so instrumental in achieving SCE’s decision to permanently shut down San Onofre.
Whatever you can contribute financially enables our grassroots campaigners to continue our very effective advocacy and watch-dogging!
Thank You once more for your partnership in this epic grassroots campaign,
Ray, Carol, Gary, Laurie, Grace, Donna, and Martha --
- June 19th in Sacramento: Martha and Ray will attend the CA Energy Commission’s Workshop on California Nuclear Power Plant Issues (the CEC Chairman is CA’s official liaison to the NRC) – Travel Costs = $900
- June 28th: Briefs due in Phase I of the CPUC’s San Onofre Investigation – basically our arguments for SCE and SDG&E shareholders bearing the burden of the 2012 costs associated with the San Onofre Outage.
- July 9th: Reply Briefs, to push back on SCE and SDG&E’s inevitable arguments to put as much of these costs on ratepayers as possible.
- July 10th & 24th: Testimony and Reply Testimony due on Replacement Power Costs, another component of San Onofre Outage costs to be decided by the CPUC.
- August 5-6th: 2nd Round of Evidentiary Hearings at the CPUC in S.F. on Replacement Power Costs.
- August 29th & September 12th: Briefs and Reply Briefs due on Replacement Power Costs.
Representatives of the Coalition to Decommission San Onofre:
Citizens Oversight, Peace Resource Center of San Diego, San Clemente Green, San Diego Earthkeepers, SanOnofreSafety.org and Women Occupy San Diego
Private planning notes within our group (secured)
CDSO / COPS documents filed to the CPUC
| I10-12-013-CDSO-501 Objection to Motion to Adopt Settlement< M 1421
| I10-12-013-CDSO-502 Requests for Clarification re Settlement Process
| I10-12-013-CDSO-503 Settlement Opening Comment
|| Filed and Served
| I10-12-013-CDSO-504 Joins Henricks Objection and Motion to Strike M 1431
|| Filed and Served
| I10-12-013-CDSO-506 Motion to Strike
|| Not Submitted
| I10-12-013-CDSO-507 Settlement Reply Comment
|| Filed and Served
| I10-12-013-CDSO-508 Exparte-Communication-Regarding-Settlement
|| Filed and Served, Rejected
| I10-12-013-CDSO-509 Motion to Reopen Record on SONGS OII to allow Dr. Budnitz to complete his investigation M 1470
|| Filed and served by Aguirre Severson LLP
| I10-12-013-CDSO-510 Comment on Ruling of 2014-09-05
|| Filed and Served, Filing Rejected
| I10-12-013-CDSO-511 Objection To Official Notice Of 2014-09-11
|| Filed and Served, Filing Rejected
| I10-12-013-CDSO-512 Comment on Telephonic Conference of 2014-09-23 (Exparte)
|| Filed and Served
Summary of articles submitted (Add | All):
Number of topics: 64
- (M1888) 2019-05-25 Earth Summit San Diego 2019 -- Ray Lutz, Citizens Oversight,
- (CitizensOversightStatusUpdate2018) 2019-02-09 Citizens Oversight Status Update 2018 -- Ray Lutz, Citizens Oversight,
- (M1820) 2018-01-30 CITIZENS OVERSIGHT SIGNS $873 MILLION SAN ONOFRE SHUTDOWN SETTLEMENT WITH SCE, SDG&E AND OTHER PARTIES -- Ray Lutz, Citizens Oversight,
- (SanOnofreClosureSettlement2018) 2018-01-30 San Onofre Closure Settlement 2018 -- , Citizens Oversight, Settlement and related docs
- (M1811) 2018-01-12 San Onofre Shutdown Settlement FAQS -- Ray Lutz, Citizens Oversight,
- (CitizensOversightStatusUpdate2017) 2017-12-20 Citizens Oversight Status Update 2017 -- Ray Lutz, Citizens Oversight,
- (M1634) 2016-01-27 San Onofre Power Plant closure sparks lawsuit -- Dan Plante, KUSI,
- (M1632) 2016-01-25 Judge calls for review of CPUC emails Ruling -- Utilities commission won't get last word on withholding San Onofre emails -- Jeff Mc Donald, Union Tribune,
- (M1630) 2016-01-06 Calif. Judge Retires Amid Controversy Over SoCal Edison Case -- Carmen Germaine, Law 360,
- (M1628) 2015-11-23 Anatomy of a Failure -- San Onofre Nuclear Plant presentation by Ray Lutz to IEEE -- Ray Lutz, Citizens Oversight,
- (NukeWasteLawsuit) 2015-11-03 Lawsuit to stop nuclear waste dump at San Onofre -- Aguirre Severson LLP, Citizens Oversight,
- (M1622) 2015-09-23 Appeal Opening Brief -- Citizens Oversight, Inc. vs. CPUC re Settlement -- Aguirre Severson LLP, Citizens Oversight Aguirre Severson LLP, Gist: Fed. Court must decide if fair hearing conducted
- (M1611) 2015-08-10 Ratepayer Group Citizens' Oversight Sends Open Letter to San Onofre Settlement Endorsers -- "It's time to pull your support" -- Ray Lutz, Citizens Oversight,
- (M1607) 2015-06-24 TURN Joins Petition for Modification of Settlement -- Freedman Matthew, The Utility Reform Network,
- (M1554) 2015-03-03 REGULATOR, EDISON HAD ‘REGULAR’ CHATS -- Emails reveal calls with PUC member Florio, whose contacts with PG&E prompted recusal -- Jeff Mc Donald, Union Tribune,
- (M1553) 2015-02-26 Review of San Onofre Original Steam Generator Wear -- Ray Lutz, Citizens Oversight, Decisions by Southern California Edison to 'uprate' the core and decrease T(cold) may have shortened OSG life.
- (M1546) 2015-02-22 Peevey Network -- Ray Lutz, Citizens Oversight,
- (M1547) 2015-02-22 Anatomy of the San Onofre Secret Settlement -- Ray Lutz, Citizens Oversight, Interactive timeline of major events of San Onofre Nuclear Plant
- (M1551) 2015-02-12 Crooks Honoring Crooks -- Attendee Intercept at Peevey Gala -- Steve Zeltzer, Labor Video Project, Related to: Peevey Party Protest
- (M1543) 2015-02-11 Peevey Toasters Face Public Scrutiny -- Ray Lutz, Citizens Oversight, Related to: Peevey Party Protest
- (M1539) 2015-02-10 Meeting links CPUC probe to San Onofre -- Edison discloses it met at luxury hotel in Poland with former regulator -- Jeff Mc Donald, Union Tribune, Related to: Peevey Party Protest
- (M1540) 2015-02-10 SCE reports private contact in 2013 with PUC head Peevey -- Marc Lifsher, Los Angeles Times, Related to: Peevey Party Protest
- (M1538) 2015-02-09 SCE Admits Secret Meeting with CPUC Pres. Peevey in 2013 to Concoct Settlement -- , Southern California Edison, This secret meeting will likely kill the settlement deal. Related to Peevey Party Protest.
- (M1542) 2015-02-09 Shut up! Shut up! -- Edison admits secret huddle with Michael Peevey on San Onofre -- Don Bauder, San Diego Reader, Related to: Peevey Party Protest
- (M1541) 2015-02-02 INDUSTRY TO TOAST EX-PUC CHIEF PEEVEY -- Celebration for former utilities chief comes amid state corruption investigation -- Jeff Mc Donald, Union Tribune, Related to: Peevey Party Protest
- (M1517) 2014-10-31 San Onofre Outage CPUC Investigation -- Oral Arguments, Oct 31, 2014 -- Ray Lutz, Citizens Oversight,
- (M1512) 2014-10-24 CPRA Response in San Bruno Explosion Case -- CPUC and PG&E -- , California Public Utilities Commission, Thousands of emails provided in CPRA response from CPUC illustrates a culture of corruption -- San Bruno Explosion Peevey Party Protest
- (M1515) 2014-10-24 Utility scandal may impact nuke settlement -- Morgan Lee, Union Tribune, Related to: Peevey Party Protest
- (M1511) 2014-10-23 Coalition Moves to Stay San Onofre Settlement to “clean house” of corruption at the CPUC -- Ray Lutz, Citizens Oversight Coalition To Decommission San Onofre,
- (M1470) 2014-08-04 CDSO-509 Motion to Reopen Record on SONGS OII to allow Dr. Budnitz to complete his investigation -- Ray Lutz Aguirre Severson LLP, Citizens Oversight Aguirre Severson LLP Coalition To Decommission San Onofre,
- (M1441) 2014-05-14 Excerpts of Settlement Evidentiary Hearing of 2014-05-14 -- Ray Lutz, Citizens Oversight, Features Michael Aguirre
- (M1444) 2014-05-14 Key Clips from Evidentiary Hearing of 2014-05-14 on San Onofre Settlement -- Ray Lutz, Citizens Oversight, Gist of Mike Aguirre's cross examination of SCE President Ron Litzinger results in the admission that there is nothing in the record to allow the Commission to properly evaluate the settlement. Related to: Peevey Party Protest
- (M1439) 2014-05-13 Ratepayer rep’s role questioned -- Jeff Mc Donald, Union Tribune,
- (M1431) 2014-05-08 I.12-10-013 CDSO-504 CDSO Joins HENRICKS Objection, Motion to Strike -- Ray Lutz, Ruth Henricks, Coalition To Decommission San Onofre Citizens Oversight,
- (M1433) 2014-05-08 Labor, Customer Groups and Community-Based Organizations File Comments Supporting State Regulatory Settlement Regarding San Onofre Nuclear Plant -- Maureen Brown, Southern California Edison,
- (M1432) 2014-05-07 Electricity refund? Not in California -- California utility regulators want to screw you, boost company profits. -- Don Bauder, San Diego Reader, Mentions Michael Aguirre
- (M1429) 2014-05-05 PUC’s Kabuki dance extends to San Onofre, San Bruno: Thomas Elias -- Thomas Elias, LADaily News,
- (M1421) 2014-04-11 CDSO-501 CDSO Objection to Motion to Adopt San Onofre Settlement -- , Coalition To Decommission San Onofre Citizens Oversight,
- (M1412) 2014-01-27 Protest of SCE AL-2968-E requesting decommissioning funds -- Martha Sullivan, Raymond Lutz, Coalition To Decommission San Onofre,
- (M1398) 2013-12-25 NRC: SAN ONOFRE OPERATOR VIOLATED RULES -- No penalties for Edison; financial recovery efforts could be complicated -- Morgan Lee, Union Tribune,
- (M1406) 2013-12-23 NRC notice of violation on SONGS steam generator design -- , Nuclear Regulatory Commission,
- (M1396) 2013-12-16 CDSO Opening Brief on the Nuclear Decommissioning Cost Triennial Proceeding, A.12-12-012/013 -- Ray Lutz, Martha Sullivan, Citizens Oversight,
- (M1410) 2013-12-09 CDSO Protest of SCE Advice Letter 2968E -- Ray Lutz, Coalition To Decommission San Onofre,
- (M1390) 2013-11-22 CDSO Opening Brief for Phase 2 of San Onofre OII (I.12-10-013) -- Raymond Lutz, Coalition To Decommission San Onofre, Martha Sullivan assisted with review of this submission.
- (M1411) 2013-11-18 SCE Advice Letter 2968E -- SONGS 2 & 3 Decommissioning -- Corporate Document, Southern California Edison,
- (M1402) 2013-10-21 CPUC Nuclear Decommissioning Cost Triennial Proceeding 2012 -- Ray Lutz, Citizens Overisight, CPUC:A.12-12-012/013
- (M1389) 2013-10-15 Community Symposium on Decommissioning San Onofre and On-Going Dangers of Nuclear Waste -- , Citizens Oversight,
- (M1401) 2013-10-07 CPUC Evidentiary Hearing on San Onofre (Phase 2) -- Ray Lutz, Citizens Oversight,
- (M1388) 2013-10-01 CPUC Public Participation meeting in San Diego, 2013-10-01 -- Ray Lutz, Citizens Oversight,
- (M1386) 2013-09-20 CDSO Reply Testimony for CPUC Nuclear Decommissioning Cost Triennial Review A.12-12-013 -- Raymond Lutz, Main.Martha Sullivan, Coalition To Decommission San Onofre,
- (M1384) 2013-09-16 CPUC A12-12-013 CDSO Motion for Party Status, Decom Fund Triennial Review -- Main.Martha Sullivan, Citizens Oversight, Includes amended motion and responses by ALJ Darling
- (M1383) 2013-09-10 CDSO Testimony for Phase 2 of CPUC OII on San Onofre -- Martha Sullivan, Raymond Lutz, Citizens Oversight,
- (M1370) 2013-07-12 CPUC Bullies Cameraman -- Ray Lutz, Citizens Oversight,
- (M1365) 2013-06-28 Phase 1 Opening Brief by the Coalition to Decommission San Onofre to the CPUC -- Martha Sullivan, Coalition To Decommission San Onofre,
- (M1521) 2013-06-25 Reducing the hazards of high-‐level radioactive waste in Southern California: Storage of nuclear waste from spent fuel at San Onofre -- Robert Alvarez, Friends Of The Earth,
- (M1358) 2013-05-13 CPUC Kicks Lutz's camera out of the room -- Ray Lutz, Citizens Oversight, Mentions Ecological Options Network
- (M1360) 2013-05-13 CPUC Evidentiary Hearing on San Onofre (Phase 1) -- Ray Lutz, Citizens Oversight, Week long session 2013-05-13 to 2013-05-17, 18+ Videos
- (M1357) 2013-05-10 CPUC RESTRICTS PUBLIC ACCESS TO SAN ONOFRE HEARINGS -- Ray Lutz, Citizens Oversight,
- (M1347) 2013-02-21 CPUC Public Participation Hearing on San Onofre (Costa Mesa) -- Ray Lutz, Citizens Oversight, Transcripts Included.
- (M1351) 2013-01-28 Scoping Ruling filed by CMMR/FLORIO/CPUC on 01/28/2013 Conf# 61886 -- Michel Peter Florio and Melanie M. Darling, California Public Utilities Commission,
- (M1377) 2013-01-08 Judge Darling loses control after San Onofre pre-hearing conference. -- United Public Workers For Action, laborvideo,
- (M1352) 2012-12-17 SCE's Testimony Regarding Proposed Rate Adjustments for SONGS Units 2 & 3 -- , Southern California Edison,
- (M1355) 2012-04-02 Root Cause Evaluation of San Onofre Steam Generator Failures -- , Southern California Edison,
- (M1353) Public Utilities Code Section 455.5 -- , State Of California,