Get this update in your email box on a daily basis. Subscribe below:
MIC CHECK! -- MIC CHECK!
NOTICE TO MEDIA / DISCLAIMER |
Occupy San Diego is comprised of many people
with diverse opinions. This email does not provide
the official position of Occupy San Diego, but is
compiled for the use of supporters and occupiers
by a number of volunteers.
News Media that may subscribe to this email blast
should confirm all information from other sources.
- MORE ARRESTS!
- After a reduced police presence all weekend, the SDPD regrouped and once again raided Freedom Plaza in the early morning hours of Monday
- Nine Occupiers Arrested
- Claudia Acevedo -- arrested early Monday morning supposedly for illegal lodging. She is being held in ICE because of her immigration status
- To help Claudia contact the following: email@example.com ; BorderAngels@googlegroups.com ; https://www.facebook.com/tracey.odman
- March to the Federal Building on Friday in support of Claudia
- Final Decision for Randy Wolling, AKA "Sage"
- Sage was sitting on the sidewalk after the second raid. He is charged with impeding an officer, and illegal assembly.
- Announced at Freedom Plaza:, Sage pleaded no contest to one count. The rest of charges were dropped and he was sentenced to 1 year probation.
- Hunger Strike -- John Kenney continues his hunger strike, on day 30 as of Dec 7.
- We received this related press release late on Wednesday: Dec 7th 9:30 to 9:45 Press Conference at San Diego Civic Center Plaza by Occupy San Diego Committee Members Given the near contemptuous reaction of San Diego's Mayor (has never even looked at us, let alone speak to us), San Diego (made us wait til 7:15 and an empty City Council to allow our 3 minute by-law mandatory Non-Agenda item chance, after 6 weeks of respectfully trying) Cheif Landsdown & the San Diego Police Department (Targeting Occupy member, brutality, 140+ arrests, pepper spraying peaceful protesters and continuing harassment), the local Federal Courts (Waited 15 days on a TRO which by law should have been heard & ruled on in 24 to 72 hours, then dismissed it on the grounds of an injunction is a "drastic" matter, though Occupyers continue to endure targeted, arbitrary application of the law, and suppression of their Constitutional Rights) Occupy San Diego's intention to protest the City Council, the Mayor and the SDPD and to re-occupy the civic center.
- Hunger Strike -- Julie begins her hunger strike
- "My name is Julie and I am an occupier at Occupy San Diego. There have been a slew of human rights violations at Occupy San Diego, and we have videotape evidence. In response to the continued harassment, brutality and abuses of power the SDPD has subjected us to, I am currently on hunger strike pending a public apology from Chief Landsdowne....I started a blog to document the reasons I am on hunger strike: http://occupyfast.wordpress.com/. Here you can see links to video evidence. I will add more videos each day, as we have PLENTY to share ... Please contact me if you can help in any way. Thank you so much."
- Get the word out
- We have several events that we need you to attend as well as help in promoting, including the Candlelight Vigil & Silent March for the Unemployed on December 8, March to the Federal Building on December 9, the the West Coast Port Shutdown on December 12, and the Occupy SD benefit concert at The Ruby Room on December 14.
- Tell your friends either in person, through tweeting a link on Twitter (remember to include #osd, #occupysandiego, and/or #occupysd), confirm you are attending on a Facebook event, reblog on Tumblr, or just print out some flyers and pass them out to your friends, loved-ones, acquaintances, as well as those who will soon fall into one of those categories once you give them a flyer.
- See http://sdoccupypress.org/2011/12/07/occupy-the-weekend-occupy-san-diego-declares-a-4-day-weekend/ for details of this weekend's events.
Despite what you might hear on the corporate-owned news:
- The occupation continues, around the clock.
- PLEASE COME DOWN when you can and help with numbers. This is your true vote. Stay at home = vote against 99%.
- Tents and almost everything is now being restricted by the police.
- Food is needed -- we no longer have a food table, so you'll have to play it by ear.
- We will not be denied our constitutional right to assemble and speak!
- Many Teach-ins on Sunday!
To update your mailing list preferences, including unsubscribing, go to this address: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
http://copswiki.org/Occupy/OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2011Dec08 <== click here to see the rest of the report.
* (Temporary Restraining Order
Federal court hearing of the TRO (Temporary Restraining Order) regarding Municipal Code 54.0110. Judge Hayes heard the oral arguments at 2:30pm on Tuesday, Nov 22.
- Decision was reached on Dec 1. Judge DENIED TRO
- Court Documents -- Full Ruling
- Attorney Bryan Pease could not attend in person because he just completed Lasik eye surgery. He attended by telephone but did not participate in the hearing.
- Attorney Todd Cardiff presented the arguments in favor of the restraining order.
- The primary argument is that the law is vague and overly broad, and therefore subject to abuse. It outlaws anything on public property, even a coffee cup, and even if it is for free speech.
- We are talking about the civic center plaza here, which is specifically set aside for free speech.
- Quoted ACLU vs. City of Las Vegas
- Asst City Attorney Kristin Black presented the defense for the City.
- Said TRO is not required, because there is no imminent harm. She said the protests have been continuing with out disruption since Oct 7 and there is no infringement of freedom of speech. If this was a big concern, then this case should have been brought sooner.
- She said that the law was only used when the plaza was cleared, because they did not want the protestors setting up their tents and gear while the square was being cleared. Of course we know this statement was far from being accurate.
- She said they have not "precluded anyone from putting anything down." Maybe, but I know once it is put down, the police will threaten arrest if you don't pick it up.
- Judge said he would consider all the arguments and release a written decision. Normally, these don't take very long.
- If this Temporary Restraining Order is approved, we will return!
- Attorney Todd Cardiff said he will be preparing an additional declaration regarding the impossibility of siting a voter registration table in the public portion of the plaza.
- We STILL need video documentation of police hassling people about setting stuff down. If you have such a video, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so I can get it to the right people.
- Lutz suing Civic Center Plaza building owners and operators
- Lutz arrested while engaging in the peaceful political activity of voter registration at Civic Center Plaza.
- Owner/Operators of Civic Center Office Building include Goldman Sachs, hedge funds and Wall St. Banks -- a who's who of the criminal banking industry 0.1%
- RayLutz has filed a lawsuit against the owners and operators of the Civic Center Plaza building, that invoked the citizens arrest.
- Press conference held Nov 30 at 5pm to announce the lawsuit.
- Attorney Michael Aguirre will handle the case on contingency basis, but we still will need to fund-raise for court costs and fees, for war chest and defense fund.
- Fundraising will be set up shortly separate from OSD funds.
- I daresay they will be very sorry they stepped over this line.
- Read the text of the complaint by Lutz against CBRE
- The ACLU is considering taking up a case to test Pruneyard for the case like what we have in San Diego: The public square where part of it is owned by a private party, and the fact that voters who were registering were not allowed to complete their registrations.
- To check if someone is in jail check this website: http://apps.sdsheriff.net/wij/wij.aspx
- It usually takes about 6 hours for someone who has been arrested to pop up here. This site will tell you their charges, bail, etc. Jail's number is (619) 615-2700. The jail won't tell you much if anything that is not on the website. Please check this website before saying someone is in or out of jail to avoid confusion. Not being a jerk, just trying to help because this is a very simple solution.
San Diego Sheriff Who's In Jail
* Legal Resources
- 1st Circuit Rules Public Has Right to Videotape Police
- What to say to cops if you're busted. *What you say and do can hurt you in court This is what I advise my clients to say when confronted by a law enforcement officer:
"Officer, please understand I refuse to talk with you until I consult with my attorney. I also refuse to consent to any search of these premises or any other premises under my control, or in which I have a possessory, proprietary, or privacy interest, including my car, my body, or effects. I hereby demand to immediately be allowed the reasonable opportunity to obtain the advice of my attorney by telephone. from: http://layon.net/busted.php
Things YOU can do right now to help.
Have you submitted a letter to the UT or another publication? Send it to email@example.com
and we'll publish it here! They may not print it, but we will.
2011 Dec 08
- 1st Circuit Rules Public Has Right to Videotape Police In a resounding affirmation of the First Amendment, the 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has ruled that members of the public have a constitutionally protected right to videotape police carrying out their duties in public.
- The Media's Blackout Of The National Defense Authorization Act Is Shameful The broadcast media's ignorance and unwillingness to cover the National Defense Authorization Act, a radical piece of legislation which outrageously redefines the US homeland as a "battlefield" and makes US citizens subject to military apprehension and detainment for life without access to a trial or attorney, is unacceptable.
- FEMA CONCENTRATION CAMPS: Locations and Executive Orders There over 800 prison camps in the United States, all fully operational and ready to receive prisoners. They are all staffed and even surrounded by full-time guards, but they mostly empty. These camps are to be operated by FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) should Martial Law need to be implemented in the United States and all it would take is a presidential signature on a proclamation and the attorney general’s signature on a warrant to which a list of names is attached.
- San Francisco Police Unexpectedly Raid Occupy San Francisco In an unexpected move last night, the San Francisco Police Department raided the Occupy San Francisco encampment at around 2 a.m. The police dismantled over 100 tents. One protester said police only gave them five minutes notice to clear out of the plaza they had been encamped in. “That left no time to get personal objects,” he said. At this time it is unclear how many people have been arrested, if any,
See All Occupy San Diego Announcements
to read all previous announcements about
- Where we meet, how to recover confiscated property from the San Diego Police Department, information for people were arrested, etc.
Unless noted, all events are at "Freedom Square" (the San Diego CivicCenterPlaza
, 1200 3rd Ave. San Diego, Intersection of 3rd Ave. and B St.)
Unless otherwise noted, we meet daily as follows:
- 4 pm -- Finance Committee Meeting, Downtown Johnny Brown's, Mon. thru Friday
- Each committee should send a representative to this meeting! Budget is currently being defined.
- 5:30 pm -- Committee meetings -- many meet at the "big circle" (the part of the plaza where there's map of San Diego in a big circle) with very few exceptions.
- 7pm -- General Assembly (Civic Center Plaza)
- * From December 17, Saturday GA will be at 2pm.
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
Warning: Can't find named section OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2011Dec08 in topic Occupy.OccupySanDiegoEvents
- Occupy Together
- Interoccupy Group Consensus Proposal -- proposes a mechanism for accepting proposals for processing so as to reach global consensus.
- National Occupy Conference Calls: There are weekly conference calls between Occupy sites. We need reps from appropriate committees to join in the conference call. Unfortunately, it is Monday at 7pm, our GA time.
Occupy San Diego & Imperial County (Visit each site and "Like" it)
- Occupy Encinitas
- Occupy Oceanside
- Occupy Escondido
- Organizing & they are talking about occupying soon. They meet twice a week for now, but the days and times change.
- They want more input on the next meeting on their FB page
- Occupy Mira Mesa
- Occupy Mission Bay
- Occupy Imperial County
- Women Occupy San Diego
- Occupy Chula Vista
- Occupy San Diego SDSU
- Occupy Mesa College
- People's Assembly at UCSD (in solidarity with Occupy Wall St.)
- Occupy Cal State San Marcos (CSUSM)
LINKS AND REFERENCES
Links to sites/pages below that are no longer actively updated:
Since we get new subscribers every day much of the email blast will be the same as the last one. BUT, you can view JUST THE DIFFERENCES if you want to, so you can read it faster.
- Go to the web version of the email blast.
- Scroll to the bottom. Click "More Topic Actions"
- Go to the sections "Compare Revisions"
- Compare the current topic ("3" in this one) to 1 (which is the prior day's)
- Click COMPARE.
- This does not show some changes, like images, so you should scan the original email too.
- At the bottom of the original topic, you can view any older version (click the numbers) or comparisons ("<") by clicking on the list. (Doesn't work for our case of comparing one day to the next because there are usually several revisions before the final one, so you have to use the "Compare Revisions" function.
SEND THIS LINK AND TELL OTHERS TO SUBSCRIBE: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
If you have:
- lists of emails that should be subscribed
- events or notices that should be included
- needs or wants to request from our supporters
- specific requests for volunteers
SEND TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
and we'll work to get that information included in this daily update.
THANK YOU FOR BEING INVOLVED.
Edited by Email Blast Team:
- Ray Lutz
- Josephine P.
- Jason Packman
- Jay Jayakumar
- Benjamin Knob (GA reports)
- Occupy San Diego project page in "Common" web: Occupy San Diego
- New Occupy Project (new web): Occupy Web -- we will be migrating to this new web.