Get this update in your email box on a daily basis. Subscribe below:
MIC CHECK! -- MIC CHECK!
O C C U P Y C H R I S T M A S E D I T I O N
Occupy Xmas -- singing Occupy Carols (what a great picture!) Full Size Photo: Benjamin Cossel
Photo: Benjamin Cossel
"Cisco" made a statement that I could not stop thinking about. He said "We just want all those people who are worried about their next meal, who are worried where they will sleep, to know this: they are not forgotten. We are here for you. We are here to change the world." -- Very inspiring. (He has been living on the street for 44 years.)
NOTICE TO MEDIA / DISCLAIMER |
Occupy San Diego is comprised of many people
with diverse opinions. This email does not provide
the official position of Occupy San Diego, but is
compiled for the use of supporters and occupiers
by a number of volunteers.
News Media that may subscribe to this email blast
should confirm all information from other sources.
- Occupy Christmas - Dec 23 - Occupy San Diego Strikes Back http://youtu.be/J-0uxKi6xsU -- The day after 4 arrests, a choking, a stomping and intimidation of peaceful protesters by the San Diego Police Department, Occupy San Diego strikes back with Occupy Christmas!
- CHRISTMAS FOOD UPDATE
- Thanks to Hollyhawk Cambia for organizing this.
- POTLUCK BRUNCH - 11am - 12pm - thanks to John Kenney & friends. Please use Facebook Private Message (FPM) if you want to help!
- XMAS DINNER - 5pm - 7pm - thanks to Tracey Reardon Odman & friends. Please FPM if you want to help serve or cook! Meal will include ham & potatoes.
- THANKS TO YOU ALL! Much love to OSD, our houseless brothers, sisters and non-binary identified family
- Some notes from the GA today.
- John Kenney served as facilitator
- Demands Committee -- will put out a document for further discussion soon. Anita Simon is the editor of this draft.
- There was some discussion about changing the name of this to "Solutions" or "Goals" rather than "Demands". The latter implies that others will do it, when in reality, it is probably up to us.
- Education Committee -- has and will continue to conduct debates and discussions on "demands" -- is on the schedule. Will be highlighting one issue each week. (However, tomorrow and next week will be on holiday schedule -- i.e. no teach-ins).
- Police Interaction:
- Police are afraid of internal affairs investigations. We need to report MORE. Citizens Review Board has the power to conduct investigations and punish "bad" officers.
- Need a list of police officers with faces so we can identify police so complaints can be produced. Must gather this information when police are not in attack mode because it is hard to gather then.
- In one case recounted at the GA, a homeless man had his belonging taken from him and filed a suit, and obtained $150,000 award from the court. We probably need to be more proactive in filing such suits.
- Education Cte will have Mobile Book Mobile at Freedom Plaza every weekend.
- Medical Cte will have personnel at the Plaza every Saturday from 10am to Noon, or later if needed.
- No GA Planned for Xmas Day
- Jeff Bates will serve as next GA facilitator
- Police step up enforcement of 54.0110 "No objects on City Property" law at Freedom Plaza
- MC § 54.0110 Unauthorized Enchroachments Prohibited
It is unlawful for any person to erect, place, allow to remain, construct, establish, plant, or maintain any vegetation or object on any public street, alley, sidewalk, highway, or other public property or public right-of-way, except as otherwise provided by this Code.
- For example, some comments from FB:
- Jason Snyder: Well I went down there with my livestreaming equipment, set it down next to me and put my arm on it. Sargent B. Cara claims that the moment I took my hand off of the box to rest my arm on it counted as 'abandonment' under MC 54.0110, which is total B.S.
- Jason Snyder: Actually s.g. B. Cara was citing people for merely loosening their backpack while sitting without actually taking it off calling it abandonment and then telling us that if we ever came back to the Civic Center (FP) that we would be arrested. What Gustapo tactics. I thought this was supposed to be the 'land of the free'. What a lie.
- When this happens, we should make immediate complaints. Download complaint form. These forms should be ON HAND at Civic Center Plaza and have the Sargent/officers help you fill it out. Of course, it would be fantastic if we had a complaint table for this sort of thing, but that sounds difficult if we can't have a table. Compliant forms are also in city hall available for pick up.
- A COMPLAINT SHOULD GO IN FOR EVERY INAPPROPRIATE ARREST. We also need to follow up on these complaints. Can someone find out when the Police Oversight group meets?
- In my conversations with some homeless men on Dec 24, I learned that the police have made the area around the Civic Center Plaza (five blocks on each side) a no-sleeping zone for the homeless. They are telling the homeless the reason they are being inconvenienced is because of Occupy San Diego. This has been going on for the past three nights. John said "pumpkinheads" (ambassadors) wake up the homeless in that area and have them move at least five blocks away. This despicable act by the police is apparently to set the homeless against OSD.
- Occupy San Diego still reels from inappropriate arrests on Dec. 22.
- Video of Raid and Arrests at Freedom Plaza. Three were arrested in this video. Andrew Fischer (AKA "Fish") was arrested at about 6am. One of them was choked and another was stomped on. http://youtu.be/Fu3oVBxMbFc
- See more info here: Occupy San Diego Dec 22 Arrests, including a frame-by-frame analysis of out-of-control SDPD officers as they nearly rip Chris's head off. You have to see this to believe it.
http://copswiki.org/Occupy/OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2011Dec25 <== click here to see the rest of the report.
- 17 Jan 2012 - Million tent protest in Washington D.C.
- Occupy Greyhound Update: OSD to Occupy Greyhound to OD.C. to be part of the 1 million tent protest. We are leaving on the 13th and returning in SD on the 25th, We have 12 people going and we were able to purchase 8 tickets from donations. We will still be collecting donations for the use of going to some tourist attractions while we are in DC as a group, in matching Occupy San Diego clothing hopefully. We are also working on getting ahold of all the local media stations so when we stop there should be coverage of our trip (hopefully). We are going to get with education committee to see if there can be some classes to make sure everyone is up to speed on all the important issues currently infesting our world. I am very thankful for all the support we have recieved from the community of people that could not go but wanted to see this trip become a reality. If you would like to know who is going PM me and I will ask everyone if they want me to inform the public on their intent to go to DC. (A few think the cops will target them to make it so they can not go). Again here is the Web page if you can donate more before the trip that would be great. https://www.wepay.com/group/view/90142 BIG HUGS AND HUGE THANKS
Despite what you might hear on the corporate-owned news:
- The occupation continues, around the clock.
- PLEASE COME DOWN when you can and help with numbers. This is your true vote. Stay at home = vote against 99%.
- Tents and almost everything is now being restricted by the police.
- Food is needed -- we no longer have a food table, so you'll have to play it by ear.
- We will not be denied our constitutional right to assemble and speak!
- Many Teach-ins on Sunday!
To update your mailing list preferences, including unsubscribing, go to this address: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
Lutz suing Civic Center Plaza building owners and operators Project Details
- Temporary Restraining Order
- Read all details here: Background, Court Documents and Ruling
- Decision was reached on Dec 1. Judge DENIED TRO
- Judge said the law was "narrowly drawn" which is nothing but unbelievable.
- We STILL need video documentation of police hassling people about setting stuff down. If you have such a video, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so I can get it to the right people.
- More on this project... Including collected media, documents, photos, videos, etc.
- This is a VERY IMPORTANT project because we will directly engage wall street firms who own and operate the CivicCenterPlaza office building.
Things YOU can do right now to help.
Have you submitted a letter to the UT or another publication? Send it to email@example.com
and we'll publish it here! They may not print it, but we will.
Warning: Can't find named section OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2011Dec25 in topic Occupy.AllOccupySanDiegoMedia
See All Occupy San Diego Announcements
to read all previous announcements about
- Where we meet, how to recover confiscated property from the San Diego Police Department, information for people were arrested, etc.
- To check if someone is in jail check this website: http://apps.sdsheriff.net/wij/wij.aspx
- It usually takes about 6 hours for someone who has been arrested to pop up here. This site will tell you their charges, bail, etc. Jail's number is (619) 615-2700. The jail won't tell you much if anything that is not on the website. Please check this website before saying someone is in or out of jail to avoid confusion.
- The National Lawyers Guild resources to protesters who have been arrested (619) 417-4813 firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1st Circuit Rules Public Has Right to Videotape Police
- What to say to cops if you're busted. *What you say and do can hurt you in court This is what I advise my clients to say when confronted by a law enforcement officer:
"Officer, please understand I refuse to talk with you until I consult with my attorney. I also refuse to consent to any search of these premises or any other premises under my control, or in which I have a possessory, proprietary, or privacy interest, including my car, my body, or effects. I hereby demand to immediately be allowed the reasonable opportunity to obtain the advice of my attorney by telephone. from: http://layon.net/busted.php
Unless noted, all events are at "Freedom Square" (the San Diego CivicCenterPlaza
, 1200 3rd Ave. San Diego, Intersection of 3rd Ave. and B St.)
Unless otherwise noted, we meet daily as follows:
- 4 pm -- Finance Committee Meeting, Downtown Johnny Brown's, Mon. thru Friday
- Each committee should send a representative to this meeting! Budget is currently being defined.
- 5:30 pm -- Committee meetings -- many meet at the "big circle" (the part of the plaza where there's map of San Diego in a big circle) with very few exceptions.
- 7pm -- General Assembly (Civic Center Plaza)
- * From December 17, Saturday GA will be at 2pm.
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
Warning: Can't find named section OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2011Dec25 in topic Occupy.OccupySanDiegoEvents
- Occupy Together
- Interoccupy Group Consensus Proposal -- proposes a mechanism for accepting proposals for processing so as to reach global consensus.
- National Occupy Conference Calls: There are weekly conference calls between Occupy sites. We need reps from appropriate committees to join in the conference call. Unfortunately, it is Monday at 7pm, our GA time.
Occupy San Diego & Imperial County (Visit each site and "Like" it)
- Occupy Encinitas
- Occupy Oceanside
- Occupy Escondido
- Organizing & they are talking about occupying soon. They meet twice a week for now, but the days and times change.
- They want more input on the next meeting on their FB page
- Occupy Mira Mesa
- Occupy Mission Bay
- Occupy Imperial County
- Women Occupy San Diego
- Occupy Chula Vista
- Occupy San Diego SDSU
- Occupy Mesa College
- People's Assembly at UCSD (in solidarity with Occupy Wall St.)
- Occupy Cal State San Marcos (CSUSM)
LINKS AND REFERENCES
Links to sites/pages below that are no longer actively updated:
Since we get new subscribers every day much of the email blast will be the same as the last one. BUT, you can view JUST THE DIFFERENCES if you want to, so you can read it faster.
- Go to the web version of the email blast.
- Scroll to the bottom. Click "More Topic Actions"
- Go to the sections "Compare Revisions"
- Compare the current topic ("3" in this one) to 1 (which is the prior day's)
- Click COMPARE.
- This does not show some changes, like images, so you should scan the original email too.
- At the bottom of the original topic, you can view any older version (click the numbers) or comparisons ("<") by clicking on the list. (Doesn't work for our case of comparing one day to the next because there are usually several revisions before the final one, so you have to use the "Compare Revisions" function.
SEND THIS LINK AND TELL OTHERS TO SUBSCRIBE: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
If you have:
- lists of emails that should be subscribed
- events or notices that should be included
- needs or wants to request from our supporters
- specific requests for volunteers
SEND TO: email@example.com
and we'll work to get that information included in this daily update.
THANK YOU FOR BEING INVOLVED.
Edited by Email Blast Team:
- Ray Lutz
- Josephine P.
- Jason Packman
- Jay Jayakumar
- Benjamin Knob (GA reports)
- Occupy San Diego project page in "Common" web: Occupy San Diego
- New Occupy Project (new web): Occupy Web -- we will be migrating to this new web.