MIC CHECK! -- MIC CHECK!
Occupy San Diego still standing firm despite ridiculous rules by SDPD
- Grassy area along 3rd by Civic Center is OK for sleeping, bedrolls ok.
- OK to sit on pads but you can't leave any personal belongings unattended.
- Robust attendance at the GA meeting plus many committees are very active on other areas.
Personal Items Seized by Police at OSD
Some local news outlets have reported that the police have impounded any "items of value" and will hold them for 90 days.
To claim call the "Property Room" at 619-531-2866 (7 am-4 pm, Mon.-Fri.).
Recorded message says that property will be released to the public from 11 am-4 pm (Mon.-Fri.).
- 11 AM -- Attempt to get personal belongings back from SDPD (see above)
- 11:30 AM -- Teach-in by City Clerk on City Procedures regarding non-agenda public comment.
- Will be held on steps at Civic Center Plaza.
- NOTE: Unlike most other jurisdictions, San Diego City Council has the unique practice of censoring public comments based on content, only one speaker per "subject". We are allowed one speaker for "Occupy San Diego" or if we are lucky split up the topic into a number of sub topics, if they go along. In contrast, the City of Irvine allowed 72 speakers on the same nonagenda subject in a marathon 5.5 hour session.
- 5 PM -- Occupy San Diego Monster March
- March from Balboa Park to the Gaslamp to highlight frightening facts about corruption in America’s financial and political systems
- Occupy San Diego will lead a Halloween march through downtown San Diego to promote social justice, honesty, and generosity.
- With costumes, street theatre, and candy, Occupy San Diego will rally at 5:00pm at the Haunted Trail Entrance in Balboa Park (6th & Juniper, just south of the Laurel Street Bridge).
- March starts at 5:30pm from the Haunted Trail Entrance and will walk to the Civic Center, to Children’s Park, the Haunted Hotel, and ending in the Gaslamp Quarter.
- 10 AM -- San Diego City Council Meeting
- We must continue to demand that the city of San Diego endorse the OCCUPY SAN DIEGO protest the same why the cities of Los Angeles, Orange, San Francisco, and Irvine have done.
- PLEASE ARRIVE EARLY (say 9AM) TO "OCCUPY" A SEAT. We have asked them to place this on the agenda, and they have not. (We were given ONE three minute time period to talk about OCCUPY SD during public comment. In Irvine, they allowed 72 speakers and 5.5 hours to hear the concerns of the pubic, and they finally agreed to formally endorse the protest actions. SAN DIEGO MUST DO THE SAME.)
Note: It is my hope that San Diego City Council will schedule some sort of workshop so we can all have our say without disturbing the rules they already have for their city council meeting, where public comment is drastically and artificially constrained. At such a meeting, we can make the case very clearly that it is in the best interests of the City to help us pursue change. Therefore, please stay tuned and we'll let you know if there are any changes of this nature.
- NOON: BANK WITHDRAWAL PROTEST -- IN SOLIDARITY WITH OAKLAND GENERAL STRIKE
- Meet at Civic Center Plaza. Will march down 2nd Street to "Bank Street" to shut the street down to perform "financial repairs". Encourage all customers of the big banks (Bof A, Wells Fargo, Union Bank, Chase, etc.) to withdraw all your funds and move them to a Credit Union.
- 5 pm -- Teach in -- History of General Strikes, Civic Center Plaza Steps.
- 6 pm -- March to Chase Bank
LINKS AND REFERENCES
SEND THIS LINK AND TELL OTHERS TO SUBSCRIBE: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
If you have:
- lists of emails that should be subscribed
- events or notices that should be included
- needs or wants to request from our supporters
- specific requests for volunteers
SEND TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Media Committee Member)
and we'll work to get that information included in this daily update.
DISCLAIMER! Although we will do our best to make sure this list of events is accurate, changes may
occur frequently! Please check your email daily to make sure and also the various web sites.
THANK YOU FOR BEING INVOLVED.