Get this update in your email box on a daily basis. Subscribe below: |
%--'VARCACHE:save:This page was newly rebuilt at 29 Nov 2023 - 12:11 GMT. Rebuild the page anyway.
Click to open the web-version of the report.: http://copswiki.org/Occupy/OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2012Apr16?cover=print
2012-04-16 -- HIGHLIGHTS:
16 Apr 2012 - Mon
Read more below...
Shut Down San Onofre
Action for Raul Carranza
Next OccuParty benefit at the Kensiington Club on April 25th
Remember Chernobyl and Three Mile Island Rally at San Onofre -- 2012-04-29 Info/RSVP
Full Size JPG -- Printable Flyer
Legal Hearings, etc.
- Project landing web site: http://ShutDownSanOnofre.org
- 30-sec TV Spot Catch it on MSNBC. Thank you Friends of the Earth!
- On Wednesday, Southern California Edison (SEC) admitted that Unit 2 had the same unusual wear as Unit 3 (the one the blew a tube) meaning it will be very difficult to turn on Unit 3 before understanding the problem, as had been suggested as one option by NRC Secretary Gregory Jaczko at the press conference.
- Regarding the press conference -- 20/20 hindsight says our action would have been better not at the San Onofre plant, but in the street outside the Doubletree Hotel where Chairman Jaczko already had all the media, and people could easily see, park, etc.
- Next anti-nuke rally slated for April 29 (Sun) A 29 San Onofre Protest and Rally to commemorate Chernobyl disaster of 1986-04-26. Can you help us make this event even larger than the ]]M11SanOnofreProtestAndRally\][last one]]?
- New Facebook page: http://www.Facebook.com/ShutSongs <-- Please like it!
- Cities of Irvine and Solana Beach voted to shut down San Onofre. This needs to be on the agenda of all local cities.
- Zenyatta's (aka Parsley Zen Tart's) trial in dept 2 of San Diego Superior Court. Jury selection likely ends sometime Tuesday Apr 17, then spectators are allowed into the courtroom.
- Jury sentencing for Brother Fish scheduled for April 24th.
- Bobby Uribe's trial starts 4/19. Need witnesses to Bobby Uribe's arrest at port protest
- Benjamin Gasper's trial: New Trial date has been set for May 29th.
2012 Apr 16
- Occupy Grand Rapids holds first rally of 2012, sets date to 're-occupy' downtown Though we may not have seen the Occupy Grand Rapids group downtown recently, members say they are still meeting and will be out in full force this summer. On Saturday, the group gathered at Monument Park in the city for their first rally of 2012. An open mic session allowed visitors a chance to speak out. Members say the next few months will be spent planning to ‘re-occupy’ downtown, beginning on July 4.
- SINGLE MOTHER FALSELY ACCUSED OF ENDANGERING HER CHILDREN AT OCCUPY OAKLAND The authorities apparently stop at nothing to intimidate and scare people from participating in a movement that they fear. Stayaway orders, bogus arrests, heavy charges for minor offenses, sham “lynching” laws, and, most recently, deploying the Child Protective Services to attack a single mother for participating in Occupy Oakland.
- Can we have hierarchy without oppression? Confucian philosopher Steve Angle recently authored a paper about why some forms of deference and hierarchy do not have to be oppressive, especially if the hierarchy is always changing and evolving. One person aptly defers to another on the basis of a fit between the latter's role, experiences, learning, or skills, and the particular circumstance in which the two find themselves.
- Occupy Papua New Guinea Takes On Government, Wins In another example of the power of popular resistance, Papua New Guineans this week appear to have successfully stopped the government from delaying elections and implementing a controversial Judicial Conduct Law that would allow the legislature to remove judges. In front of a massive crowd organized by labor unions, churches, social media groups, and civil society organizations, PNG Prime Minister Peter O'Neill promised to hold elections on time.
The protests were organized in part by student activists and bloggers affiliated with Occupy Waigani, a group that formed last month to occupy Parliament in protest of the Judicial Conduct Law. Among other efforts, Occupiers in PNG are also working to address the exploitation of local resources by corporate interests and unequal development in the country. #OccupyWallStreet stands in solidarity with Occupiers and dissidents everywhere. (See below for a timeline of events in PNG!)
- Federal Court Recognizes Chalking Freedom in Orlando Prior to the decision Friday, Orlando officials indicated that they would be appealing an “adverse ruling”. The city would find it difficult to play a purer than thou antichalk attitude in this case. Orlando mayor Buddy Dyer encouraged downtown businesses to chalk their sidewalks in support of the home team Magic when they were in the NBA playoffs in 2009. The city also permits a yearly chalk art festival held by the local Rotary Club. David Baker told Orlando bureaucrats, “The city may not selectively interpret and enforce the ordinance based on its own desire to further the causes of particular favored speakers.”
This report is generated from an extraction filter which may pick up irrelevant articles sometimes.
- There are two OSD groups. A larger group has General Assembly (GA) meetings at Children's Park and every other Saturday at Redwood Circle in Balboa Park. (check Calendar for times). The other group meets weekly at 2 PM Saturdays at Civic Center Plaza.
- Finance Committee meets at 6 PM at Children's Park on the same days that GAs meet there. Also one hour before GA at Balboa Park every other Saturday..
- Committee/Working-Group members: Please update any changes or additions as desired to osd-feedback (at) citizensoversight (dot) org.
- Occupy San Diego maintains a website with a calendar, also committee and events forums, and more at http://sandiegooccupy.org/.
- See Event list (below) and Occupy San Diego Calendar for all upcoming events.
. But mark your calendars now for these!
NEXT 7 DAYS
- (This list is automatically generated from the topic Occupy.Occupy San Diego Events). Scroll down the topic almost to the bottom or look at the Calendar for more events, not within the next 7 days.
16 Apr 2012 - Mon
17 Apr 2012 - Tue
- (10a) San Diego City Council Meeting (includes Public Comment) at 202 "C" St (12th floor), San Diego, CA 92101
- (10a) San Diego City Council Meeting (includes Public Comment) at 202 "C" St (12th floor), San Diego, CA 92101
- (4p) Lecture "Tsunamis: Are we underestimating the risk?" by Eddie Bernard, former director of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Pacific Tsunami Warning Center at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography (Free, open to the public).
- (4p-6p) "Tax the 1%" action Tuesday 4/17 at Congressman Bilbray's office! Say No to Tax Dodgers and Tax Cheats!! at 380 Stevens Ave, Solana Beach, CA 92075 For more information: Contact Ryan Mims at email@example.com or 202-341-0470
- (5p) #UnitedGA at Childrens Park
- (5p) NOT AN OSD EVENT "Tax the 1%" rally and protest outside the NW end (near Childrens Park) of the San Diego Convention Center, More details here. This is a MoveOn.org event. All progressive groups are welcome, Occupy, Veteran's for Peace, ACCE, union members, immigrants, teachers, are all invited to speak. EVERYONE please come and bring your signs, banners and voices!
- (5:30p-7:30p) Occupy South Bay General Assembly and planning meeting at D Volanda Coffee & Smoothies, 320 3rd Ave, Chula Vista. FB Event
- (6p) The National City WalMart has applied for a (hard) liquor license at its 1200 Highland Ave. location. As there are already 8 licenses in the census tract and the ABC will only allow 4, they are taking the request to city council instead as a "Public Convenience and Necessity". WE NEED SPEAKERS AND SUPPORT FROM OCCUPY!! Council meets at City Hall, 1243 National City Blvd, National City, 91950
18 Apr 2012 - Wed
- (6a) Wal-Mart action! Destruction of the old Farmer's Market on Imperial between 21st and 22nd began without notice and continued until Tuesday afternoon. OCCUPYERS NEEDED at 6am (but come by anytime to ensure construction is STOPPED), Rally/Vigil to Support Sherman Heights stand against dismantling the historic "Farmers Market". If you can't make it, call Mayor Jerry Sanders at (619) 236-6330 and City Council Member David Alvarez at (619) 236-6688, to DEMAND THAT A STOP WORK ORDER BE PUT IN PLACE!! An injunction for the stop work order is being called for by a lawyer in the community. Be prepared for the call to PACK THE COURTS and stand in solidarity with the people of Sherman/Logan Heights. Will happen sometime on Wednesday or Thursday. Watch OSD Facebook/Twitter for updates.
- (12p) National OYC Action Against Bank Of America Day, Meet at Freedom Plaza, bring signs!
- (2p) Occupy San Diego City College meets Wednesdays at Gorton Quad
19 Apr 2012 - Thu
21 Apr 2012 - Sat
22 Apr 2012 - Sun
23 Apr 2012 - Mon
- (9a) Hearing on demolition of the Sherman Heights Farmer's Market by Wal-Mart at the Hall of Justice at 330 West Broadway, dept. 66. The construction crew will be allowed to work on site but by court order suspend any more demolition until after the results of this hearing.
- (6p-8p) Ocupemos el Barrio - Occupy the 'Hood meets Mondays at Sherman Heights Community Center
- 29 Apr 2012 - OSD ENDORSED - "Three Mile Island! Chernobyl! Fukushima! San Onofre?" - Anti-Nuke Rally and Protest at San Onofre to commemorate the 26th anniversary of the continuing Chernobyl meltdown which started on 1986-04-26, the 33-year anniversary of the Three-Mile Island accident, and the continuing disaster at Fukushima (that experts say is perhaps 20x worse than Chernobyl.) Details -- FB Event Page -- BUS TICKETS ARE RUNNING OUT, PLEASE SIGN UP NOW!
- 01 May 2012 - MAY DAY SAN DIEGO - A Day Without the 99% - International Workers Day by Occupy Labor Solidarity - also check Occupy Labor Solidarity's event page or FB Event page. Some of the events will run concurrently.
- 01 May 2012 - (11a) City College Rally just east of Park Blvd. and A Street, then march to Civic Center Plaza.
- 01 May 2012 - (12p) Rally at Civic Center Plaza - speakers to include workers from various occupations (small 'o'), then a march will start at Civic Center, go through downtown and end at the proposed Wal-Mart site in Sherman Heights between 21st and 22nd on Imperial Ave sometime after 2 PM.
- 01 May 2012 - (2p-4p) Occupy San Diego Events at Civic Center Plaza. Also actions are planned in the financial district just a couple of blocks to the east at the various banks (B of A, Wells Fargo on B Street and at Citibank near Horton Plaza).
- 01 May 2012 - (3:30p-6p) SDEA Rally at Roosevelt Middle School and March to Board Meeting - NOT AN OLS EVENT, This event for SDEA runs concurrently with the other events listed here. SDEA: The event begins at 3:30 at Roosevelt Middle School. Work at a late-start school? If you can’t make it to Roosevelt before the march takes off at 4:15, join the march at the Education Center on Normal Street from 4:45 – 5:15 before it loops back to Roosevelt.
- 01 May 2012 - (4p-6p) OSD Labor Solidarity Rally at Civic Center and March to Chicano Park around 6 PM to join the event in progress at Chicano Park. There will be many speakers at Civic Center, representing organized and non-organized groups, including hotel workers, in-home care providers, representatives from student groups, LGBT activists on achieving equality in the workplace, and more.
- 01 May 2012 - (5:30p) Chicano Park Festival
- 01 May 2012 - (6p) March to and direct action at the Westin Hotel near Horton Plaza protesting management's lack of willingness to negotiate a new contract with the hotel workers there.
- 01 May 2012 - (7p) GA at Freedom Plaza
- Bobby Uribe's court date has been postponed until June11th.
http://copswiki.org/Occupy/OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2012Apr16 <== click here to see the rest of the report.
To update your mailing list preferences, including unsubscribing, go to this address: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
Occupy Walk has adopted a more practical walking schedule based on walking an average of 15 miles per day, 5 days per week. The additional 2 days off dedicated to outreach activities.
FROM: Needles, CA
|| Est Time
|| Est. Arrival
| San Diego, CA
|| 18 Feb 2012
| 29 Palms
|| 19 Mar 2012
Janson Brock at 29 Palms
| Needles, CA
|| 20 Mar 2012
| Crossed into AZ
|| 22 Mar 2012
| Lake Havasu
|| 25 Mar 2012
| Oatman, AZ
|| 27 Mar 2012
|| Oatman to Golden Valley
| Kingman, AZ
|| 30 Mar 2012 - 01 Apr 2012
Video: Occupy Walk in Kingman, AZ
| Seligman, AZ
|| 09 Apr 2012
Photos to the tune of Kid Rock "Born Free"
| Flagstaff, AZ
|| 12 Apr 2012 - 15 Apr 2012
DJ, who joined the walk in L.A., playing in the snow
| Albuquerque, NM
|| 331 mi
|| 4.5 wks
|| May 16, 2012
| Amarillo, TX
|| 314 mi
|| 4 weeks
|| June 13, 2012
| Wichita, KS
|| 346 mi
|| 5 weeks
|| July 18, 2012
| Kansas city MO
|| 215 mi
|| 3 weeks
|| Aug 8, 2012
| Fairfield, IA
|| 237 mi
|| 3 weeks
|| Aug 29, 2012
| Chicago, IL
|| 260 mi
|| 3.5 wks
|| Sept 23, 2012
| Gary, IA
|| 28 mi
|| 2 days
|| Sept 25, 2012
| Toledo, OH
|| 204 mi
|| 3 weeks
|| Oct 16, 2012
| Akron, Ohio
|| 121 mi
|| 2 weeks
|| Oct 30, 2012
| Youngstown, OH
|| 46 mi
|| 3 days
|| Nov 3, 2012
| Allentown, PA
|| 317 mi
|| 4.5 wks
|| Dec 6, 2012
| Newark, NJ
|| 76 mi
|| 1 week
|| Dec 14, 2012
| Zuccotti Park, NY
|| 9 mi
|| 1 day
|| Dec 15, 2012
Things YOU can do right now to help.
RECENT GA MINUTES
See All Occupy San Diego Announcements
to read all previous announcements about
- Where we meet, how to recover confiscated property from the San Diego Police Department, information for people were arrested, etc.
- Social Network Moderator Guidelines - OSD guidelines for moderating social network discussions
- OSD speaks at the Citizens Review Board of Police Practices on 1/24
Have you been mistreated by the Police? Have your First Amendment rights been violated? Have you been arrested for nothing, only to have the charges "unfiled" but held over your head for up to a year?
- First read this document: http://www.2momslaw.com/police_misconduct.pdf
- Make a Complaint: How to Make a Police Complaint
- Use this form: Complaint Form
- Forms also available in the lobby of City Hall.
- Citizen's Review Board member says we do NOT need names & badge numbers. File the complaint & it's up to SDPD to determine who the officer was (But it is better if we have them, of course).
- ALSO: By telephone or in writing to
- SDPD Internal Affairs Unit, 1401 Broadway, MS 709, San Diego CA 92101, (619) 531-2801
- Complaints made to the Citizens Review Board do not necessarily make it into the officers' personnel files
- Read this: Making Police Compliants That Stick
- Also, consider making a CLAIM against the city for your BOND money if charges were never filed. They have 45 days to reject the claim, then you file a lawsuit. It costs $400 to file unless you can claim low income.
Lutz suing Civic Center Plaza building owners and operators Project Details
- TELL POLICE HOW THEY ARE DOING: Police host monthly meetings in the community to get feedback from community members.
- More on this project... Including collected media, documents, photos, videos, etc.
- This is a VERY IMPORTANT project because we will directly engage wall street firms who own and operate the Civic Center Plaza office building.
- The National Lawyers Guild resources to protesters who have been arrested 619-500-4486 firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1st Circuit Rules Public Has Right to Videotape Police
- What to say to cops if you're busted. What you say and do can hurt you in court -- This is what I advise my clients to say when confronted by a law enforcement officer: "Officer, please understand I refuse to talk with you until I consult with my attorney. I also refuse to consent to any search of these premises or any other premises under my control, or in which I have a possessory, proprietary, or privacy interest, including my car, my body, or effects. I hereby demand to immediately be allowed the reasonable opportunity to obtain the advice of my attorney by telephone. from: http://layon.net/busted.php
- To check if someone is in jail check this website: http://apps.sdsheriff.net/wij/wij.aspx
- It usually takes about 6 hours for someone who has been arrested to pop up here. This site will tell you their charges, bail, etc. Jail's number is (619) 615-2700. The jail won't tell you much if anything that is not on the website. Please check this website before saying someone is in or out of jail to avoid confusion.
- FYI -- Penal Code 849.5. In any case in which a person is arrested and released and no accusatory pleading is filed charging him with an offense, any record of arrest of the person shall include a record of release. Thereafter, the arrest shall not be deemed an arrest, but a detention only.
- http://www.constitution.org/uslaw/defunlaw.htm -- Your rights when you are being arrested falsely.
LINKS AND REFERENCES
Links to sites/pages below that are no longer actively updated:
SEND THIS LINK AND TELL OTHERS TO SUBSCRIBE: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
If you have:
- lists of emails that should be subscribed
- events or notices that should be included
- needs or wants to request from our supporters
- specific requests for volunteers
SEND TO: email@example.com
and we'll work to get that information included in this daily update.
NOTICE TO MEDIA / DISCLAIMER |
Occupy San Diego is comprised of many people
with diverse opinions. This email does not provide
the official position of Occupy San Diego, but is
compiled for the use of supporters and occupiers
by a number of volunteers.
News Media that may subscribe to this email blast
should confirm all information from other sources.
THANK YOU FOR BEING INVOLVED.
Edited by Email Blast Team:
- Chris West (Editor/Events)
- Josephine P. (Media / Facebook)
- Ray Lutz (Mentor/Editor/Infrastructure)
- Occupy San Diego project page in "Common" web: Occupy San Diego
- New Occupy Project (new web): Occupy Web -- we will be migrating to this new web.