Get this update in your email box on a daily basis. Subscribe below: |
%--'VARCACHE:save:This page was newly rebuilt at 25 Mar 2023 - 13:09 GMT. Rebuild the page anyway.
Occupy Update! -- 2012-01-20 -- HIGHLIGHTS:
- D.A. Refuses to prosecute felony conspiracy charges for "Mic-Check 4," returned to City Attorney.
- -- No arraignments occurred today on those charges.
- Anonymous hits FBI, Dept of Justice, Universal Music Group, RIAA, Motion Picture Association of America and Warner Music Group in response to federal raid on Megaupload.
- -- SOPA / PIPA Dem supporters threatened by Anon,
- Rubber Bullets Fired at protestors at UC-Riverside.
- Occupy the Courts today Friday, Jan 20. -- 8am March -- Noon to 1pm Rally.
- Liquid Blue Benefit Concert, tonight, Friday, Jan 20, 7:30pm at World Beat Center
Read more below...
Click to open the web-version of the report.
- Please help with monetary donations. Need a tax deduction for the tax year? Most donations are tax deductible!
SOPA/PIPA PROTEST, CONT.
- Rubber Bullets fired at Protestors at UC Riverside See wounds
- This definitely got the message out...
- PIPA and SOPA Co-Sponsors Abandon Bills -- "PIPA co-sponsor Florida Sen. Marco Rubio pulled his name from the bill Wednesday and SOPA co-sponsor Arizona Rep. Ben Quayle pulled his name Tuesday."
- 10 reasons to fight SOPA - in case you need to learn about this.
- This is a lesson in a protest that apparently has worked for now. Make a note of this.
- Anonymous message about Megaupload as it hits FBI, Dept of Justice, Universal Music Group, RIAA, Motion Picture Association of America and Warner Music Group.
Unless noted, all events are at Freedom Plaza
(AKA Civic Center Plaza
, 1200 3rd Ave. San Diego, Intersection of 3rd Ave. and B St.)
Unless otherwise noted, we meet daily as follows:
- 4 pm -- Finance Committee Meeting, Downtown Johnny Brown's, Mon. thru Friday
- Each committee should send a representative to this meeting! Budget is currently being defined.
- 5:30 pm -- Committee meetings -- Each will schedule the days of their meetings.
- 7pm -- General Assembly (Civic Center Plaza)
. But mark your calendars now for these!
Concert fundraiser at World Beat Center featuring Liquid Blue on Jan 20.
- You know how great the last fundraiser concert was... this will be even better. $5 cover charge. See flier. All proceeds go to Occupy San Diego.
- Join us this Friday, January 20th 2012
- 8am -- March from Freedom Plaza in support of MovetoAmend.org to Federal Building. Then (12P - 1p), a rally with special guest speakers. [Note: we confirmed these times with the organizers]
- MARJORIE COHN explains the Citizens United vs. Federal Election Commission ruling and its implications including how corporations got "personhood" rights.
- LORI SALDANA discusses in general terms how she perceives the issue for those running for office and, if she chooses, her personal experience.
- MIKE AGUIRRE talks about what we each can do to get from where we are to a constitutional amendment.
- Other speakers include: Pam Page, Anne Hoiberg, Tahra Ludwig, and OCCUPELLAS
- More Info: National Link; Flier; Women Occupy San Diego Site
- 24 Jan 2012 -- Important Citizens' Review Board of Police Practices at Pt. Loma Library. Very important meeting for us. Lots of time for public comment and to submit our complaints for them to process.
- 26 Jan (7p) -- Voices of a Peoples History event at SanDiegoCityCollege - Saville Theater. This is the 100th anniversary of the San Diego Free Speech Fight, when city council prohibited soapbox oration centered at Fifth and E streets in the Stingaree District (Gaslamp). Prosecutors charged those arrested on felony charges of conspiracy, and police brutality was common. The Free Speech League sought to bring the cases up to jury trials to clog the system. There were an estimated 5,000 involved in one protest, with 41 arrested. The views of the Free Speech movement were similar to Occupy, on the wealth divide, worker’s rights and later on, First Amendment rights. The circumstances of the movement are echoed today. Vigilantes would take Wobblies trying to go south to San Diego off the trains.
- Feb 4 -- Occupy San Diego County Strategy Meeting -- details TBD, OSD GA approved on 2012-01-07.
- Feb 10,11,12 -- "Occupy" the Democratic State Convention in San Diego -- NO ACTION HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE OSD GA YET.
- There are "tentative plans" for Occupy So Cal to be here on 2/11 or 12 as well, and it has shown up on in the GA minutes as well (info from John Kenney).
- May 1 -- General Strike. INFO FROM OCCUPY SO CAL. NO APPROVAL OF OSD GA.
NEXT 7 DAYS
- (This list is automatically generated from the topic Occupy.Occupy San Diego Events).Sroll down the topic almost to the bottom or look at the calendar for more events, not within the next 7 days.
20 Jan 2012 - Fri
21 Jan 2012 - Sat
- (12p-2p) OccupYRCorner in Clairemont - Stand w/Signs and handout info at Balboa & Genessee FB Event
- (10a-12p) Sick Call by Wellness Group at Freedom Plaza followed by Committee Meeting
- (2p) GA Meeting at Freedom Plaza.
- (after GA) Media working group
- (1p-4p) Occupy Encinitas - 1 PM rally at the corner of Encinitas Blvd. and Coast Highway 101 followed by general assembly at 2:30 PM at Cottonwood Creek Park, corner of Encinitas Blvd. and Vulcan Ave. (GA meets at Leucadia Pizzeria if raining) More info: Facebook or Website
22 Jan 2012 - Sun
- (1p - 3p) - Roe v Wade Anniversary Reproductive Rights Rally, March, & Speakout at Freedom Plaza. For more info: FB Event
23 Jan 2012 - Mon
24 Jan 2012 - Tue
- (6:30p - 8p) -- Citizens’ Review Board on Police Practices at Valencia Park / Malcom X Library at 5148 Market St., San Diego, CA 92114-2209 (Just east of Euclid on Market St.) OSD must be at this meeting in force to object to police practices at Freedom Plaza. PLEASE NOTE CHANGE OF VENUE
- (5p) Occupy Chula Vista General Assembly at Panera Bread in Chula Vista Mall
- (2p) Wellness holds “Tranquil Tuesdays" FB Event at Freedom Plaza.
- (5:30p) Demands Committee
25 Jan 2012 - Wed
- (5p-7p) – OccupYrCorner at 5th and University in Hillcrest. Bring signs, banners or flags. Event info at Occupy yr Corner HillCrest
- (5:30p) Wellness Committee
- (6p) Resources Committee
26 Jan 2012 - Thu
http://copswiki.org/Occupy/OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2012Jan20 <== click here to see the rest of the report.
- (7p) - Voices of a Peoples History event at SanDiegoCityCollege - Saville Theater. This is the 100th anniversary of the San Diego Free Speech Fight, when city coucil prohibited soapbox oration centered at Fifth and E streets in the Stingaree Distrcit (Gaslamp). Prosecutors charged those arrested on felony charges of conspiracy, and police brutality was common. The Free Speech League sought to bring the cases up to jury trials to clog the system. There were an estimate of 5,000 involved in one protest, with 41 arrested. The views of the Free Speech movement were similar to Occupy, both on the wealth divide, and later on, First Amendment rights. The circumstances of the movement are echoed today. Vigilantes would take Wobblies trying to go south to San Diego off the trains.
To update your mailing list preferences, including unsubscribing, go to this address: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
Things YOU can do right now to help.
Have comments you want sent out? Send it to email@example.com
Consented to by GA yesterday: New process for counting 9/10s consensus. After third failed attempt at consensus, a 9/10s vote will be held in which the vote will be counted as in favor of vs opposed to a proposal. In this case opposed to is not as weighty as a block, you can vote no if you just don't like something. Abstentions will not be counted but will be part of the quorum. If there is a percentage of a vote that is not a whole number it will be rounded to the next closest whole number. Thank you all for helping to shape this proposal, it went through GA super smoothly so I feel that it's a good one.
At Strategic Planning Meeting Committee on Wednesday, 1/18/2012 at 5:30 we discussed and or consensused to the following:
We've decided on the Centro for 2/4 and that the main times should be from 12-6pm on that day, but allow some other efforts to go before and after, if there is that much response, including maybe some music later into the night.
See this google doc for setting up teach-ins, etc.:CLICK HERE
Set Weekly Meeting times
Wed. @ 5:30pm;
Sat. @ 11:30am, &;
Sun. @ 12:00pm; and as necessary, especially as the two (2) respective dates near
The Official 2nd Occupy So Cal Inter-Occupy Meet-up will be on Feb. 11th, tentatively scheduled to be at San Diego City College, at the Free Speech Zone there.
The following proposals were offered and accepted as potential themes for
teach-ins/ debates/ panel discussions/ committee meetings/ work-shops, etc., in the order they were consensused to:
Foreclosures and Direct Actions, Labor History, Pilage & Plunder, Domestic Violence, Roe v Wage- History & Consequences, Anti NDAA & Patriot Act Discussion & Actions, U.N. Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and a potential "panel discussion" to be opened up to the crowd, on- GA, necessary or not, Reform or not, around the various Occupies, &/or GA 2.0, or not? The later especially is to discussed further, though all have been approved in general.
We are asking for as much help and input as possible on:
Hope to see you all on Saturday &/or Sunday.
- Out Reach to other SD County & So Cal Occupys, students, organizations, etc.;
- Finding a few rousing & Occupy Movement acceptable Speakers;
- Resources, etc.
2012 Jan 20
- Wisconsin, We Did It! Wisconsinites collected over 1,000,000 signatures to recall Governor Scott Walker! The signatures were delivered to the Government Accountability Board on January 17, 2012, and the people showed up to celebrate.
- Charlottesville, Va., City Council Passes Resolution Opposing War on Iran | War Is A Crime The City Council of Charlottesville, Virginia, home of Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe, and the University of Virginia, passed on Tuesday evening, January 17, 2012, a resolution believed to be a first in the country, opposing the launching of a war on Iran.
- Occupy Congress video: Police arrest OWS protesters On Tuesday the Occupy Wall Street movement took their protest to Congress. This marks the movement's four month anniversary and hundreds gathered outside the Capitol where protesters held signs and chanted slogans. A handful of people were arrested and the last confirmed number was six arrests. The Occupy movement also paid a visit to the White House and the Supreme Court.
- Occupy Congress - OFFICIAL VIDEO These are the chronological events that took place on January 17th, 2012 by the Occupy Movement.Starting at the Capital building, then proceeding to the Rayburn House Office Building. Marching up Constitution Ave to the Supreme Court Building then back down ending at the White House. This was filmed with a Canon 5d Markii and a Cannon 7d. Song by: Band Of Horses - The Funeral.
This section is being deprecated. See Occupy San Diego Events
for full details.
See All Occupy San Diego Announcements
to read all previous announcements about
- Where we meet, how to recover confiscated property from the San Diego Police Department, information for people were arrested, etc.
- Anyone with information about arrests... Please, we need to continue to compile a complete list.
- IF YOU HAVE BEEN ARRESTED, DETAINED, OR CITED... Please complete the form here: Occupy Legal Info Request and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you can help compile the database from incoming emails, please let me know. It just takes a person who can carefully enter the data in to a web-based form.
- Arrests At Balboa Theater 2012 Jan 11 -- This topic created to track arrests and progress fighting felony arrests at Balboa Theater
- Two items relevant to OSD mission were placed on the agenda of the City of San Diego Rules Committee. This committee is yet another example of a "do-nothing" committee because they hardly even treated the proposals as serious.
- TELL POLICE HOW THEY ARE DOING: Police host monthly meetings in the community to get feedback from community members.
Lutz suing Civic Center Plaza building owners and operators Project Details
- Legal is asking: If you were at the South gate on the day of The Port Shut Down 12/12 and witnessed any of the arrests and are willing to testify...please contact HiAndrea on FB or email@example.com -- Tammy.
- More on this project... Including collected media, documents, photos, videos, etc.
- This is a VERY IMPORTANT project because we will directly engage wall street firms who own and operate the Civic Center Plaza office building.
- New Legal Web being designed on copswiki.org
- New web (area of the site) will allow us to catalog all arrests, detentions, court actions, police ids, complaints, etc.
- Once this is set up, will need the best lists we have and people who can help enter data.
- It isn't much yet, but here it is: Legal Web
- The National Lawyers Guild resources to protesters who have been arrested 619-500-4486 firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1st Circuit Rules Public Has Right to Videotape Police
- What to say to cops if you're busted. What you say and do can hurt you in court -- This is what I advise my clients to say when confronted by a law enforcement officer: "Officer, please understand I refuse to talk with you until I consult with my attorney. I also refuse to consent to any search of these premises or any other premises under my control, or in which I have a possessory, proprietary, or privacy interest, including my car, my body, or effects. I hereby demand to immediately be allowed the reasonable opportunity to obtain the advice of my attorney by telephone. from: http://layon.net/busted.php
- To check if someone is in jail check this website: http://apps.sdsheriff.net/wij/wij.aspx
- It usually takes about 6 hours for someone who has been arrested to pop up here. This site will tell you their charges, bail, etc. Jail's number is (619) 615-2700. The jail won't tell you much if anything that is not on the website. Please check this website before saying someone is in or out of jail to avoid confusion.
LINKS AND REFERENCES
Links to sites/pages below that are no longer actively updated:
SEND THIS LINK AND TELL OTHERS TO SUBSCRIBE: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
If you have:
- lists of emails that should be subscribed
- events or notices that should be included
- needs or wants to request from our supporters
- specific requests for volunteers
SEND TO: email@example.com
and we'll work to get that information included in this daily update.
NOTICE TO MEDIA / DISCLAIMER |
Occupy San Diego is comprised of many people
with diverse opinions. This email does not provide
the official position of Occupy San Diego, but is
compiled for the use of supporters and occupiers
by a number of volunteers.
News Media that may subscribe to this email blast
should confirm all information from other sources.
THANK YOU FOR BEING INVOLVED.
Edited by Email Blast Team:
Note from Ray: I'm still sick with some sort of strange congestion in my lungs. Not the normal sore throat "cold" but gurgling and intense coughing in a mucus war. Went to the doctor today and got a course of antibiotics. Hopefully tonight will be easier.
- Ray Lutz (Editor)
- Josephine P. (Media / Facebook)
- Jason Packman (Education Events)
- Chris West (Events)
- Benjamin Cossel (Photographs)
- Occupy San Diego project page in "Common" web: Occupy San Diego
- New Occupy Project (new web): Occupy Web -- we will be migrating to this new web.