MIC CHECK! -- MIC CHECK!
Web Version of this email: http://copswiki.org/Occupy/OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2011Nov01
[NOTE CHANGE OF ACLU TEACH IN TO WEDNESDAY]
- Many committee meetings on Monday.
- Ad-Hoc brainstorming on City Council Comments.
- Met with Council President Dir. Communications Jill Esterbrooks about a separate meeting to allow full participation by the public.
Occupy San Diego still standing firm despite ridiculous rules by SDPD
- Civic Center Plaza now has barricades at all entrances with police inspectors checking on stuff brought in.
- Grassy area along 3rd by Civic Center is OK for sleeping, bedrolls ok.
- OK to sit on pads but you can't leave any personal belongings unattended.
- GA meeting still on track plus many committees are very active on other areas.
New CELLY text blaster now available, see in LINKS section below. Send one text and everyone on the list gets it. Similar to Twitter but more like a listserv.
Unless otherwise noted, we meet daily as follows:
Personal Items Seized by Police at OSD
- 6 pm -- Committee Meetings (Various Locations)
- 7pm -- General Assembly (Civic Center Plaza)
Some local news outlets have reported that the police have impounded any "items of value" and will hold them for 90 days.
To claim call the "Property Room" at 619-531-2866 (7 am-4 pm, Mon.-Fri.).
Recorded message says that property will be released to the public from 11 am-4 pm (Mon.-Fri.).
- 10 AM -- San Diego City Council Meeting
- We must continue to demand that the city of San Diego endorse the OCCUPY SAN DIEGO protest the same why the cities of Los Angeles, Orange, San Francisco, and Irvine have done.
- PLEASE ARRIVE EARLY (say 9AM) TO "OCCUPY" A SEAT. We have asked them to place this on the agenda, and they have not. (We were given ONE three minute time period to talk about OCCUPY SD during public comment. In Irvine, they allowed 72 speakers and 5.5 hours to hear the concerns of the pubic, and they finally agreed to formally endorse the protest actions. SAN DIEGO MUST DO THE SAME.)
Note: It is my hope that San Diego City Council will schedule some sort of workshop so we can all have our say without disturbing the rules they already have for their city council meeting, where public comment is drastically and artificially constrained. At such a meeting, we can make the case very clearly that it is in the best interests of the City to help us pursue change. Therefore, please stay tuned and we'll let you know if there are any changes of this nature.
- SIGN PETITION TO CITY COUNCIL HERE: http://www.copswiki.org/Occupy/OccupySanDiego
- CALL AND EMAIL CITY COUNCIL, Urge them to adopt the resolution to support Occupy San Diego!
- EMAIL LIST - email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- PHONE LIST -
- Dist. 1 -- Sherri Lightner - (619) 236-6611
- Dist. 2 -- Kevin Faulconer - (619) 236-6622
- Dist. 3 -- Todd Gloria - (619) 236-6633
- Dist. 4 -- Tony Young - (619) 236-6644
- Dist. 5 -- Carl DeMaio - (619) 236-6655
- Dist. 6 -- Lorie Zapf - (619) 236-6616
- Dist. 7 -- Marti Emerald - (619) 236-6677
- Dist. 8 -- David Alvarez - (619) 236-6688
- 10:30 AM: Teach in by IBEW 569, "Connecting democracy at work and democracy in society" Discussion on the big picture of what a union is and why they matter. Water and sub sandwiches will be provided courtesy of IBEW 569 Outline of discussion This teach-in is okay to record [This from education committee web site but it is in conflict with City Council Meeting]
- NOON: BANK WITHDRAWAL PROTEST -- IN SOLIDARITY WITH OAKLAND GENERAL STRIKE
- Meet at Civic Center Plaza. Will march down 2nd Street to "Bank Street" to shut the street down to perform "financial repairs". Encourage all customers of the big banks (B of A, Wells Fargo, Union Bank, Chase, etc.) to withdraw all your funds and move them to a Credit Union.
- 3:00 PM: Teach-In by Kevin Keenan, Executive Director of the ACLU of San Diego and Imperial Counties, "Free Speech and the Occupy Movement"
- If we can get a huge crowd out for the ACLU teach-in it would warrant using the front steps and the center of the Civic Center plaza instead of the little table around the side. With the addition of a tent or two and a few chairs, it ought to result in something that ACLU Executive Director Kevin Keenan, who will be giving the teach-in, could use to get an injunction the same way that Nashville did. http://www.bradblog.com/?p=8884
- A huge crowd in the middle of the plaza, along with a couple of tents and a bunch of chairs for an ACLU teach-in about our rights ought to be sufficient to give the ACLU a clear 1st Amendment case for an injunction if the cops clear them away. Of course it would also have to be filmed & live-streamed. I may be day-dreaming, but I'd really like to see it happen.
- 5 pm -- Teach in -- History of General Strikes, Civic Center Plaza Steps.
- 3:00 PM: Teach-In by Mark E. Smith: "Electoral Systems: Voices and Votes" This presentation is okay to film.
- 3:30 PM: Teach in by IBEW 569 ; "Connecting democracy at work and democracy in society" Food will be provided This teach-in is okay to record
- National "Bank Withdrawal Day" -- If you still have an account with any for-profit bank (Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Union Bank, Chase Bank, etc.) withdraw all your funds and move them to a credit union.
- 2 pm -- Legislative Committee Meeting -- Will read over proposed legislation for publicly financed elections. (This one is from memory, I need some better contact about this).
- 1 PM (changed from 11:00 AM) : Teach in by Eva David, "The FDA's role in brain damage, obesity, and pacification of the masses"
LINKS AND REFERENCES
SEND THIS LINK AND TELL OTHERS TO SUBSCRIBE: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
If you have:
- lists of emails that should be subscribed
- events or notices that should be included
- needs or wants to request from our supporters
- specific requests for volunteers
SEND TO: email@example.com
and we'll work to get that information included in this daily update.
DISCLAIMER! Although we will do our best to make sure this list of events is accurate, changes may
occur frequently! Please check your email daily to make sure and also the various web sites.
THANK YOU FOR BEING INVOLVED.