Get this update in your email box on a daily basis. Subscribe below:
MIC CHECK! -- MIC CHECK!
Note: smaller format of the Email Blast, More off-loaded to web site, New Calendar, Event List, Archived Media, Announcement Archive, etc!
Occupy San Diego protestors erect a "tent"
in clear violation of Muni Code 54.0110
November 17 was a solid day of activities.
- Reinvestment Task Force -- Had about 15 people from Occupy San Diego, and an entire classroom of Seniors from High Tech High who found out about the meeting from this email blast. Tony Young chaired this meeting, and around the table were representatives of the banking industry and some members from the public too. Comments from the public included: Why are there no credit unions or community banks represented at the meeting? Why are the agendas and minutes not available on the web site? Can money be redirected from the wall-street banks to local credit unions and community banks? Video will be available soon.
- Nov 17 March -- I didn't get to attend this march because of the RTF meeting at the same time, but I have heard it was very well attended and went through the downtown area and gaslamp district. If anyone has video or photos, please send them to me or circulate separately.
- Clairemont Dr. Bridge Occupied -- about 350 people occupied the Clairemont Dr. bridge from 4pm to about 5pm. This event was great! Tons of people in rush hour traffic saw us on the bridge. Great rally on the bridge.
- Occupy Mission Bay -- held an informal meeting about the viability of the location. More news will be forthcoming on this. The group agreed to join the fray at the Federal building and Civic Center.
- Occupiers Set up Tents at Federal Building -- Those tents were quickly removed and a short GA at that location agreed to hold the GA at the Civic Center Plaza.
- Occupy the Media -- panel session in the upper level of the Golden Hall building was held, including panelists from the press and reps from OSD.
- Panelists: Samuel Hodgson, Voice of San Diego photojournalist; Carlos R. Davalos, The (Chula Vista) Star-News executive editor; Frank Gormlie, occupier and editor of the OB Rag; Lorena Gonzalez, occupier and secretary-treasurer of the San Diego-Imperial Counties Labor Council; Mike Garcia; occupier who is serving as the movement’s city liaison; Moderator: Matthew T. Hall, San Diego Union-Tribune reporter
Check out the "Veterans Connection" video under the media heading, and also the number of OCCUPY Local sites being started - come on out and join the one closest to you!
Jeanna and I were at the Federal Building occupy today, and Rob was there, Rick Trujillo gave a great speech - and he also gave a great speech at the Clairemont Bridge Occupy. All the events were widely attended and attracted media attention.
Finally, on a bit of a sad note, Jeanna and I stopped by the Civic Center tonight, and around 1015pm walking back to our car, we saw two police going around the outside of the civic center clearing out ALL the sleeping homeless. This is in complete violation of the court order and Central Division procedures. None were being interviewed, none were being offered housing options, the Homeless Outreach Team was not called. We went back to the Civic Center and I complained to the Police Sgt on duty that he needs to follow Central Division court-agreed procedures. Please call the SDPD internal affairs and complain about this if you can....as the homeless are the most marginalized of our society, and have a hard enough time speaking for their rights.
Here is the court agreement, thanks to Dave Patterson:
- General Assembly
- Plan to get notes from the general assembly -- John Kenney will post his GA notes directly to the list serve as a separate email. He said he will be able to post one each night after the GA has completed.
- Hunger Strike -- John Kenney continues his hunger strike, now in day 10. He is requesting that the City come to the table and discuss the right of Occupy San Diego to conduct protests in the form of an encampment.
to read all previous announcements about
- Where we meet, how to recover confiscated property from the San Diego Police Department, information for people were arrested, etc.
Unless otherwise noted, we meet daily as follows:
- 4 pm -- Finance Committee Meeting, Downtown Johnny Brown's, Mon. thru Friday
- Each committee should send a representative to this meeting! Budget is currently being defined.
- 5:30 pm -- Committee meetings -- many meet at the "big circle" (the part of the plaza where there's map of San Diego in a big circle) with very few exceptions.
- 7pm -- General Assembly (Civic Center Plaza)
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
Warning: Can't find named section OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2011Nov18 in topic Occupy.OccupySanDiegoEvents
Occupy San Diego & Imperial County (Visit each site and "Like" it)
- Occupy North County
- Regular Events: Saturdays, Highway 101 & Encinitas Blvd, starting at noon.
- 12:00 PM - Teach in, orientation and committee meetings
- 1:00 PM- RALLY
- 2:00 PM - General Assembly
- Occupy Oceanside
- Occupy Escondido
- Occupy Mira Mesa
- Occupy Mission Bay
- Occupy Imperial County
- Meet and Greet Potluck - Nov 19 (11a-2p) Adams Park, El Centro
- Bring a blanket to sit on and a dish to share (if you are capable, no one turned away!)
- Family event, children activities will be provided.
- firstname.lastname@example.org / 760-540-5088
- Women Occupy San Diego
- Occupy Chula Vista
- Occupy San Diego SDSU
- Occupy Mesa College
- People's Assembly at UCSD (in solidarity with Occupy Wall St.)
- Occupy Cal State San Marcos (CSUSM)
LINKS AND REFERENCES
Since we get new subscribers every day much of the email blast will be the same as the last one. BUT, you can view JUST THE DIFFERENCES if you want to, so you can read it faster.
- Go to the web version of the email blast.
- Scroll to the bottom. Click "More Topic Actions"
- Go to the sections "Compare Revisions"
- Compare the current topic ("3" in this one) to 1 (which is the prior day's)
- Click COMPARE.
- This does not show some changes, like images, so you should scan the original email too.
- At the bottom of the original topic, you can view any older version (click the numbers) or comparisons ("<") by clicking on the list. (Doesn't work for our case of comparing one day to the next because there are usually several revisions before the final one, so you have to use the "Compare Revisions" function.
SEND THIS LINK AND TELL OTHERS TO SUBSCRIBE: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
If you have:
- lists of emails that should be subscribed
- events or notices that should be included
- needs or wants to request from our supporters
- specific requests for volunteers
SEND TO: email@example.com
(Media Committee Member)
and we'll work to get that information included in this daily update.
DISCLAIMER! Although we will do our best to make sure this list of events is accurate, changes may
occur frequently! Please check your email daily to make sure and also the various web sites.
THANK YOU FOR BEING INVOLVED.
Edited by Ray Lutz with help from Email Blast Team.