Get this update in your email box on a daily basis. Subscribe below:
MIC CHECK! -- MIC CHECK!
Cars turning around as OSD Occupiers shutdown the entrance into the San Diego Port entrance on 10th and Cesar Chavez in support with the West Coast Port Shutdown.
NOTICE TO MEDIA / DISCLAIMER |
Occupy San Diego is comprised of many people
with diverse opinions. This email does not provide
the official position of Occupy San Diego, but is
compiled for the use of supporters and occupiers
by a number of volunteers.
News Media that may subscribe to this email blast
should confirm all information from other sources.
- 12/13 -- Surprise MIC CHECK attendance at Port Commission Meeting
- Video of the meeting will be available soon.
- Most of the meeting was concerning the expansion of the Marriott Hotel next to the Convention Center, owned by Host, Inc. This is a perfect example of how corporations use our public waterfront to maximize their business at the expense of locals, constructing a "wall" of buildings next to the waterfront making it nearly impossible for the resident to reach or even see the harbor.
- 12/14 -- Citizenship Ceremony at Community Concourse with voter registration in booths in public area of Civic Center Plaza -- 10:15-Noon.
- Interesting that they are allowed to do this when OSD people are harassed for setting down a sign, a plant, or a pair of flip flops.
- RayLutz is planning to join in the voter registration process to see what will happen.
- Occupy SD benefit concert at The Ruby Room on December 14. -- See information below (in web version)
- Tell your friends either in person, through tweeting a link on Twitter (remember to include #osd, #occupysandiego, and/or #occupysd), confirm you are attending on a Facebook event, reblog on Tumblr, or just print out some flyers and pass them out to your friends, loved-ones, acquaintances, as well as those who will soon fall into one of those categories once you give them a flyer.
- Occupier John Kenney arrested for "sleeping" at Freedom Square.
- John Kenney, who is on Day 36 of his hunger strike protesting this lack of response from our elected leaders had begun to occupy the area in front of the doors into City Hall as part of his continuing protest that the City Council to agree to discuss Occupy San Diego as an agenda item.
- At around 12:30 on the morning of Dec. 10th, John was arrested for illegal lodging while awake.
- John is now out of jail. I talked with him and suggested that now is the time to end the hunger strike and and move attention to other legal avenues.
- Press conference being planned for Friday, 12/16. Success of Port Action, Legal challenge updates, John Kenney ending hunger strike... stay tuned.
- Arrests Update!
- Of the 51 arrested on Oct 21 only 3 were charged.
- Next court date is around January 15th
- Looking for more details
- Charges have not been filed but authorities reserve the right to file them if protestors are involved in any activity FOR A YEAR. What a pathetic way to put legal handcuffs on free speech.
Despite what you might hear on the corporate-owned news:
- The occupation continues, around the clock.
- PLEASE COME DOWN when you can and help with numbers. This is your true vote. Stay at home = vote against 99%.
- Tents and almost everything is now being restricted by the police.
- Food is needed -- we no longer have a food table, so you'll have to play it by ear.
- We will not be denied our constitutional right to assemble and speak!
- Many Teach-ins on Sunday!
To update your mailing list preferences, including unsubscribing, go to this address: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
http://copswiki.org/Occupy/OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2011Dec14 <== click here to see the rest of the report.
Lutz suing Civic Center Plaza building owners and operators Project Details
- Temporary Restraining Order
- Read all details here: Background, Court Documents and Ruling
- Decision was reached on Dec 1. Judge DENIED TRO
- Judge said the law was "narrowly drawn" which is nothing but unbelievable.
- We STILL need video documentation of police hassling people about setting stuff down. If you have such a video, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so I can get it to the right people.
This topic has been moved to the "Common" web with other similar projects.
Click here: Common.Voter Registration Arrest Of Ray Lutz
- More on this project... Including collected media, documents, photos, videos, etc.
- This is a VERY IMPORTANT project because we will directly engage wall street firms who own and operate the CivicCenterPlaza office building.
Things YOU can do right now to help.
Have you submitted a letter to the UT or another publication? Send it to email@example.com
and we'll publish it here! They may not print it, but we will.
2011 Dec 14
- Monday, Dec. 12, 2011 - Evening Edition Occupy San Diego protesters joined a movement up and down the West Coast to attempt to block the ports, plus a Little Italy development hits a snag, and more on Monday's show.
- How Congress is Signing its own Arrest Warrants in the NDAA Citizen Arrest bill never thought I would have to write this: but, incredibly, shortly Congress is decide if the proposed National Defense Appropriations Act will pass, with Amendment 1031, which allows for the military detention of American citizens in an amendment so loosely worded that any American citizen could be held without due processown-arrest-warrants-in-the-ndaa-citizen-arrest-bill/]]
- An Open Letter from America’s Port Truck Drivers on Occupy the Ports We are the front-line workers who haul container rigs full of imported and exported goods to and from the docks and warehouses every day.
We have been elected by committees of our co-workers at the Ports of Los Angeles, Long Beach, Oakland, Seattle, Tacoma, New York and New Jersey to tell our collective story
- Support the RESTORE the American Dream for the 99% This bill is based on the Contract for the American Dream, a real, workable plan to fix our broken economy. It creates 5 million new jobs in two years, responsibly ends the wars and cuts military waste, adds a public option to the Affordable Care Act, raises new taxes from millionaires and Wall Street, and much more.
- Lowe's to close store in blow to Denver's Alameda Square Taxpayers on the hook after Lowe's pulls the plug after just being opened for 19 months. The project was backed by the Denver Urban Renewal Authority, which agreed to reimburse Brighton up to $7.3 million from sales and property taxes generated at Alameda Square.
- Buy American to Build and Defend America Two common sense pieces of legislation, The Invest in American Jobs Act of 2011 (HR 3533) and The Berry Amendment Extension Act (HR 679), make certain that we Buy American when we use tax dollars to build and defend the USA.
See All Occupy San Diego Announcements
to read all previous announcements about
- Where we meet, how to recover confiscated property from the San Diego Police Department, information for people were arrested, etc.
- To check if someone is in jail check this website: http://apps.sdsheriff.net/wij/wij.aspx
- It usually takes about 6 hours for someone who has been arrested to pop up here. This site will tell you their charges, bail, etc. Jail's number is (619) 615-2700. The jail won't tell you much if anything that is not on the website. Please check this website before saying someone is in or out of jail to avoid confusion.
- The National Lawyers Guild resources to protesters who have been arrested (619) 417-4813 firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1st Circuit Rules Public Has Right to Videotape Police
- What to say to cops if you're busted. *What you say and do can hurt you in court This is what I advise my clients to say when confronted by a law enforcement officer:
"Officer, please understand I refuse to talk with you until I consult with my attorney. I also refuse to consent to any search of these premises or any other premises under my control, or in which I have a possessory, proprietary, or privacy interest, including my car, my body, or effects. I hereby demand to immediately be allowed the reasonable opportunity to obtain the advice of my attorney by telephone. from: http://layon.net/busted.php
Unless noted, all events are at "Freedom Square" (the San Diego CivicCenterPlaza
, 1200 3rd Ave. San Diego, Intersection of 3rd Ave. and B St.)
Unless otherwise noted, we meet daily as follows:
- 4 pm -- Finance Committee Meeting, Downtown Johnny Brown's, Mon. thru Friday
- Each committee should send a representative to this meeting! Budget is currently being defined.
- 5:30 pm -- Committee meetings -- many meet at the "big circle" (the part of the plaza where there's map of San Diego in a big circle) with very few exceptions.
- 7pm -- General Assembly (Civic Center Plaza)
- * From December 17, Saturday GA will be at 2pm.
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
Warning: Can't find named section OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2011Dec14 in topic Occupy.OccupySanDiegoEvents
- Occupy Together
- Interoccupy Group Consensus Proposal -- proposes a mechanism for accepting proposals for processing so as to reach global consensus.
- National Occupy Conference Calls: There are weekly conference calls between Occupy sites. We need reps from appropriate committees to join in the conference call. Unfortunately, it is Monday at 7pm, our GA time.
Occupy San Diego & Imperial County (Visit each site and "Like" it)
- Occupy Encinitas
- Occupy Oceanside
- Occupy Escondido
- Organizing & they are talking about occupying soon. They meet twice a week for now, but the days and times change.
- They want more input on the next meeting on their FB page
- Occupy Mira Mesa
- Occupy Mission Bay
- Occupy Imperial County
- Women Occupy San Diego
- Occupy Chula Vista
- Occupy San Diego SDSU
- Occupy Mesa College
- People's Assembly at UCSD (in solidarity with Occupy Wall St.)
- Occupy Cal State San Marcos (CSUSM)
LINKS AND REFERENCES
Links to sites/pages below that are no longer actively updated:
Since we get new subscribers every day much of the email blast will be the same as the last one. BUT, you can view JUST THE DIFFERENCES if you want to, so you can read it faster.
- Go to the web version of the email blast.
- Scroll to the bottom. Click "More Topic Actions"
- Go to the sections "Compare Revisions"
- Compare the current topic ("3" in this one) to 1 (which is the prior day's)
- Click COMPARE.
- This does not show some changes, like images, so you should scan the original email too.
- At the bottom of the original topic, you can view any older version (click the numbers) or comparisons ("<") by clicking on the list. (Doesn't work for our case of comparing one day to the next because there are usually several revisions before the final one, so you have to use the "Compare Revisions" function.
SEND THIS LINK AND TELL OTHERS TO SUBSCRIBE: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
If you have:
- lists of emails that should be subscribed
- events or notices that should be included
- needs or wants to request from our supporters
- specific requests for volunteers
SEND TO: email@example.com
and we'll work to get that information included in this daily update.
THANK YOU FOR BEING INVOLVED.
Edited by Email Blast Team:
- Ray Lutz
- Josephine P.
- Jason Packman
- Jay Jayakumar
- Benjamin Knob (GA reports)
- Occupy San Diego project page in "Common" web: Occupy San Diego
- New Occupy Project (new web): Occupy Web -- we will be migrating to this new web.