Get this update in your email box on a daily basis. Subscribe below:
MIC CHECK! -- MIC CHECK!
(Email blast delayed by a day due to arrest of Blast team member Ray Lutz.)
NOTICE TO MEDIA / DISCLAIMER |
Occupy San Diego is comprised of many people
with diverse opinions. This email does not provide
the official position of Occupy San Diego, but is
compiled for the use of supporters and occupiers
by a number of volunteers.
News Media that may subscribe to this email blast
should confirm all information from other sources.
- Raymond Lutz arrested!
- Lutz arrested while engaging in the peaceful political activity of voter registration at Civic Center Plaza.
- Video of this event now going viral as people cannot believe an arrest of someone just doing voter registration.
- Lutz booked for trespassing. Hearing scheduled for Jan 10. $1,000 bail provided with no fee by Golden Boy bail bonds.
- Press Conference in support of Lutz was planned for 7:30 pm on Tuesday, November 29th at Civic Center Plaza.
- Owner/Operators of Civic Center Office Building include Goldman Sachs, hedge funds and Wall St. Banks -- a who's who of the criminal banking industry 0.1%
- RayLutz has filed a lawsuit against the owners and operators of the Civic Center Plaza building, that invoked the citizens arrest.
- Press conference held Nov 30 at 5pm to announce the lawsuit.
- Attorney Michael Aguirre will handle the case on contingency basis, but we still will need to fund-raise for court costs and fees, for war chest and defense fund.
- Fundraising will be set up shortly separate from OSD funds.
- I daresay they will be very sorry they stepped over this line.
- The ACLU is considering taking up a case to test Pruneyard for the case like what we have in San Diego: The public square where part of it is owned by a private party, and the fact that voters who were registering were not allowed to complete their registrations.
- (I thank email blast team for getting most of this ready... I am too tired to do much this time around.)
- Many other people set up registration tables to challenge the building to try more arrests.
- Occupiers "re-occupied" the Civic Center Plaza at 5pm, Monday, November 28
- As 5pm got closer, police presence increased. Down the street, the Sheriff's Dept had uncounted officers in riot gear.
- 35 tents were carried into the Civic Center Plaza and erected as promised.
- But they were miniature tents. Ha ha, the joke is on the police and their ridiculous reactions.
- Hunger Strike -- John Kenney continues his hunger strike, now in day 23. He is requesting that the City come to the table and discuss the right of Occupy San Diego to conduct protests in the form of an encampment. John is now sick and I am starting to worry about his health.
- Need to get a wheelchair for John at this point as he is feeling weak. Any donations?
- Jury Trial for Randy Wolling, AKA "Sage" commenced with jury selection. This should be done by today and first evidence will be presented.
- Sage was sitting on the sidewalk after the second raid. He is charged with impeding an officer, and illegal assembly.
- He has been in jail since Oct 28, over a month due to two other previous charges outstanding: meditating on Blacks Beach and being on Blacks Beach before 6am.
- I can't believe they are wasting their time and money on this. No wonder our government is low on money.
- Final arguments to be presented on Dec 1. Be at courtroom at about 9:30am to support Sage. VERY IMPORTANT
Despite what you might hear on the corporate-owned news:
http://copswiki.org/Occupy/OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2011Nov30 <== click here to see the rest of the report.
- The occupation continues, around the clock.
- PLEASE COME DOWN when you can and help with numbers. This is your true vote. Stay at home = vote against 99%.
- Tents and almost everything is now being restricted by the police.
- Food is needed -- we no longer have a food table, so you'll have to play it by ear.
- We will not be denied our constitutional right to assemble and speak!
- Many Teach-ins on Sunday!
[THIS WILL REMAIN IN BLAST UNTIL WE GET A DECISION]
(Some corrections are marked below)
Federal court hearing of the TRO (Temporary Restraining Order) regarding Municipal Code 54.0110. Judge Hayes heard the oral arguments at 2:30pm on Tuesday, Nov 22. We must all thank the protestors who attended this court hearing and exhibited excellent courtesy. Here are my comments:
- Court Documents
- Attorney Bryan Pease could not attend in person because he just completed Lasik eye surgery. He attended by telephone but did not participate in the hearing.
- Attorney Todd Cardiff presented the arguments in favor of the restraining order.
- The primary argument is that the law is vague and overly broad, and therefore subject to abuse. It outlaws anything on public property, even a coffee cup, and even if it is for free speech.
- We are talking about the civic center plaza here, which is specifically set aside for free speech.
- Quoted ACLU vs. City of Las Vegas
- Asst City Attorney Kristin Black presented the defense for the City.
- Said TRO is not required, because there is no imminent harm. She said the protests have been continuing with out disruption since Oct 7 and there is no infringement of freedom of speech. If this was a big concern, then this case should have been brought sooner.
- She said that the law was only used when the plaza was cleared, because they did not want the protestors setting up their tents and gear while the square was being cleared. Of course we know this statement was far from being accurate.
- She said they have not "precluded anyone from putting anything down." Maybe, but I know once it is put down, the police will threaten arrest if you don't pick it up.
- Judge said he would consider all the arguments and release a written decision. Normally, these don't take very long.
- If this Temporary Restraining Order is approved, we will return!
- Attorney Todd Cardiff said he will be preparing an additional declaration regarding the impossibility of siting a voter registration table in the public portion of the plaza.
- We need video documentation of police hassling people about setting stuff down. If you have such a video, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so I can get it to the right people.
- GA notes -- will be sent as a separate email blast, when available.
Things YOU can do right now to help.
Have you submitted a letter to the UT or another publication? Send it to email@example.com
and we'll publish it here! They may not print it, but we will.
2011 Nov 30
- Raw video of Ray Lutz being arrested at Freedom Square (San Diego Civic Center Plaza) on Tuesday, November 29 after setting up a voter registration table.
See All Occupy San Diego Announcements
to read all previous announcements about
- Where we meet, how to recover confiscated property from the San Diego Police Department, information for people were arrested, etc.
Unless noted, all events are at "Freedom Square" (the San Diego CivicCenterPlaza
, 1200 3rd Ave. San Diego, Intersection of 3rd Ave. and B St.)
Unless otherwise noted, we meet daily as follows:
- 4 pm -- Finance Committee Meeting, Downtown Johnny Brown's, Mon. thru Friday
- Each committee should send a representative to this meeting! Budget is currently being defined.
- 5:30 pm -- Committee meetings -- many meet at the "big circle" (the part of the plaza where there's map of San Diego in a big circle) with very few exceptions.
- 7pm -- General Assembly (Civic Center Plaza)
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
Warning: Can't find named section OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2011Nov30 in topic Occupy.OccupySanDiegoEvents
- Occupy Together
- Interoccupy Group Consensus Proposal -- proposes a mechanism for accepting proposals for processing so as to reach global consensus.
- National Occupy Conference Calls: There are weekly conference calls between Occupy sites. We need reps from appropriate committees to join in the conference call. Unfortunately, it is Monday at 7pm, our GA time.
Occupy San Diego & Imperial County (Visit each site and "Like" it)
- Occupy North County
- Regular Events: Saturdays, Highway 101 & Encinitas Blvd, starting at noon.
- 12:00 PM - Teach in, orientation and committee meetings
- 1:00 PM- RALLY
- 2:00 PM - General Assembly
- Occupy Oceanside
- Occupy Escondido
- Organizing & they are talking about occupying soon. They meet twice a week for now, but the days and times change.
- They want more input on the next meeting on their FB page
- Occupy Mira Mesa
- Occupy Mission Bay
- Occupy Imperial County
- Women Occupy San Diego
- Occupy Chula Vista
- Occupy San Diego SDSU
- Occupy Mesa College
- People's Assembly at UCSD (in solidarity with Occupy Wall St.)
- Occupy Cal State San Marcos (CSUSM)
LINKS AND REFERENCES
Links to sites/pages below that are no longer actively updated:
Since we get new subscribers every day much of the email blast will be the same as the last one. BUT, you can view JUST THE DIFFERENCES if you want to, so you can read it faster.
- Go to the web version of the email blast.
- Scroll to the bottom. Click "More Topic Actions"
- Go to the sections "Compare Revisions"
- Compare the current topic ("3" in this one) to 1 (which is the prior day's)
- Click COMPARE.
- This does not show some changes, like images, so you should scan the original email too.
- At the bottom of the original topic, you can view any older version (click the numbers) or comparisons ("<") by clicking on the list. (Doesn't work for our case of comparing one day to the next because there are usually several revisions before the final one, so you have to use the "Compare Revisions" function.
SEND THIS LINK AND TELL OTHERS TO SUBSCRIBE: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
If you have:
- lists of emails that should be subscribed
- events or notices that should be included
- needs or wants to request from our supporters
- specific requests for volunteers
SEND TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
and we'll work to get that information included in this daily update.
THANK YOU FOR BEING INVOLVED.
Edited by Email Blast Team:
- Ray Lutz
- Josephine P.
- Jason Packman (Education Committee Events)
- Jay Jayakumar
- Occupy San Diego project page in "Common" web: Occupy San Diego
- New Occupy Project (new web): Occupy Web -- we will be migrating to this new web.