Get this update in your email box on a daily basis. Subscribe below: |
%--'VARCACHE:save:This page was newly rebuilt at 21 Mar 2023 - 01:47 GMT. Rebuild the page anyway.
Occupy Update! -- 2012-01-22 -- HIGHLIGHTS:
- Occupy The Court action well attended -- see pics
- Some OSDers in NYC; Others on they way home -- should be in Amarillo today.
- Get prepared for Citizens Review Board, City Council Meeting, 2012-01-24.
Read more below...
Click to open the web-version of the report.
- Please help with monetary donations. Need a tax deduction for the tax year? Most donations are tax deductible!
- Donate To Occupy San Diego: Official donations to the general fund (tax deductible). We now have a robust finance committee that tracks every dollar. Your contribution are very well spent.
- Help OSD occupiers attend "Million tents march" in D.C. -- Still needs more funds to help with bus tickets for San Diego delegation going to D.C. See more info here
- Donate To Citizens Oversight (tax deductible) for the legal defense fund and war chest, including RayLutz's fight against CBRE after his arrest registering voters at Freedom Plaza.
- Donate for Bail -- We need donations to help cover bail for OSD participants who have been arrested.
- Anytime someone buys a ticket to "A Hammer, A Bell, And A Song to Sing", at the San Diego Repertory Theater, $10 is donated to OSD. Use promo code VSHL. Or, call the box office and buy tickets and mention Occupy San Diego. The play runs through Sunday, January 29th. Click Here!
Corporations are not United Citizens (Plantz Photography)
Tahra Ludwig at Occupy The Courts Read Article
Times Square by Alan Riner in NYC
Leslie Miller: The view outside my tent this morning in DC
Have you been mistreated by the Police? Have your First Amendment rights been violated? Have you been arrested for nothing, only to have the charges "unfiled" but held over your head for up to a year?
UC RIVERSIDE BRUTALITY
SOPA/PIPA PROTEST, CONT.
- This bill has been pulled. Mission accomplished, for now (but it's always that way). We must be vigilant.
Unless noted, all events are at Freedom Plaza
(AKA Civic Center Plaza
, 1200 3rd Ave. San Diego, Intersection of 3rd Ave. and B St.)
Unless otherwise noted, we meet daily as follows:
- 4 pm -- Finance Committee Meeting, Downtown Johnny Brown's, Mon. thru Friday
- Each committee should send a representative to this meeting! Budget is currently being defined.
- 5:30 pm -- Committee meetings -- Each will schedule the days of their meetings.
- 7pm -- General Assembly (Civic Center Plaza)
. But mark your calendars now for these!
- 24 Jan 2012 - Important Citizens' Review Board of Police Practices at Pt. Loma Library. Very important meeting for us. Lots of time for public comment and to submit our complaints for them to process.
- 26 Jan 2012 - (7p) Voices of a Peoples History event at San Diego City College - Saville Theater. This is the 100th anniversary of the San Diego Free Speech Fight, when city council prohibited soapbox oration centered at Fifth and E streets in the Stingaree District (Gaslamp). Prosecutors charged those arrested on felony charges of conspiracy, and police brutality was common. The Free Speech League sought to bring the cases up to jury trials to clog the system. There were an estimated 5,000 involved in one protest, with 41 arrested. The views of the Free Speech movement were similar to Occupy, on the wealth divide, worker’s rights and later on, First Amendment rights. The circumstances of the movement are echoed today. Vigilantes would take Wobblies trying to go south to San Diego off the trains.
- 27 Jan 2012 - (12pm) Rally: Justice For Raul! Stop the Budget Cuts! The Occupy Labor Solidarity Committee is having a Rally for our friend Raul Carranza. At 1350 Front St., Downtown State House Facebook Event
- Feb 4 -- Occupy San Diego County Strategy Meeting -- details TBD, OSD GA approved on 2012-01-07.
- Feb 10,11,12 -- "Occupy" the Democratic State Convention in San Diego -- NO ACTION HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE OSD GA YET.
- There are "tentative plans" for Occupy So Cal to be here on 2/11 or 12 as well, and it has shown up on in the GA minutes as well (info from John Kenney).
- May 1 -- General Strike. INFO FROM OCCUPY SO CAL. NO APPROVAL OF OSD GA.
NEXT 7 DAYS
- (This list is automatically generated from the topic Occupy.Occupy San Diego Events).Sroll down the topic almost to the bottom or look at the calendar for more events, not within the next 7 days.
22 Jan 2012 - Sun
- (1p - 3p) - Roe v Wade Anniversary Reproductive Rights Rally, March, & Speakout at Freedom Plaza. For more info: FB Event
23 Jan 2012 - Mon
24 Jan 2012 - Tue
- (6:30p - 8p) -- Citizens’ Review Board on Police Practices at Valencia Park / Malcom X Library at 5148 Market St., San Diego, CA 92114-2209 (Just east of Euclid on Market St.) OSD must be at this meeting in force to object to police practices at Freedom Plaza. PLEASE NOTE CHANGE OF VENUE
- (5p) Occupy Chula Vista General Assembly at Panera Bread in Chula Vista Mall
- (2p) Wellness holds “Tranquil Tuesdays" FB Event at Freedom Plaza.
- (5:30p) Demands Committee
25 Jan 2012 - Wed
- (5p-7p) – OccupYrCorner at 5th and University in Hillcrest. Bring signs, banners or flags. Event info at Occupy yr Corner HillCrest
- (5:30p) Wellness Committee
- (6p) Resources Committee
26 Jan 2012 - Thu
- (7p) - Voices of a Peoples History event at SanDiegoCityCollege - Saville Theater. This is the 100th anniversary of the San Diego Free Speech Fight, when city coucil prohibited soapbox oration centered at Fifth and E streets in the Stingaree Distrcit (Gaslamp). Prosecutors charged those arrested on felony charges of conspiracy, and police brutality was common. The Free Speech League sought to bring the cases up to jury trials to clog the system. There were an estimate of 5,000 involved in one protest, with 41 arrested. The views of the Free Speech movement were similar to Occupy, both on the wealth divide, and later on, First Amendment rights. The circumstances of the movement are echoed today. Vigilantes would take Wobblies trying to go south to San Diego off the trains.
27 Jan 2012 - Fri
- (12p-2p) - Direct action for Raul Carranza at the State Buikding at 1350 Front St. at Ash. Raul, who has muscular dystrophy, requires 24/7 nursing care, but was denied assistance by the state’s program director even though a judge ruled he was eligible. He was given no reason by the director and has been denied an appeal of the director’s ruling. For Raul’s story look at http://raulcarranza.org/ or for event info: FB Event.
- (5p) Feminist Friday teach-in at Freedom Plaza.
- (5:30p) Wellness Committee
- (6p) Resources Committee
28 Jan 2012 - Sat
http://copswiki.org/Occupy/OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2012Jan22 <== click here to see the rest of the report.
- (4p) Party at Amy and Pete's - Protest Party for the NDAA - 20391 Rancho Villa Rd. Ramona, CA 92065 760 519-1243 -- "Party for friends/patriots of the Tea Party and Occupy San Diego to -- Get acquainted -- Join in solidarity against NDAA bill signed by Rep. Hunter, Issa, Bilbray, Feinstein, and Boxer. (Pete and Amy donated $2,000 to the OSD Amarillo 13)
- (5:30p) Next organizing meeting to protest at the Democratic Party state convention on Feb 11 regarding support of NDAA. At 8161 Lincoln St., Lemon Grove 91945 (Frank and Patty's place). Bring pot luck snacks (not full dinner). (NOT OSD GA ENDORSED)
- (11:30A) Working/planning group for Occupy SD County Summit on Feb 4th and SoCal Inter-Occ on Feb 11th meets at Freedom Plaza.
- (12:30p) Occupy San Diego Labor Solidarity Committee - FB Page Meets for planning for the May 1st general strike (which is at this time not an OSD-GA approved event) at Freedom Plaza.
- (after GA) Media working group meets at Freedom Plaza.
- (12p-2p) OccupYRCorner in Clairemont - Stand w/Signs and handout info at Balboa & Genessee FB Event
- (10a-12p) Sick Call by Wellness Group at Freedom Plaza followed by Committee Meeting
- (2p) GA Meeting at Freedom Plaza.
- (after GA) Media working group
- (1p-4p) Occupy Encinitas - 1 PM rally at the corner of Encinitas Blvd. and Coast Highway 101 followed by general assembly at 2:30 PM at Cottonwood Creek Park, corner of Encinitas Blvd. and Vulcan Ave. (GA meets at Leucadia Pizzeria if raining) More info: Facebook or Website
- (5:30p) Events Committee
To update your mailing list preferences, including unsubscribing, go to this address: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
Things YOU can do right now to help.
Have comments you want sent out? Send it to email@example.com
See Article by Benjamin Katz
2012 Jan 22
- Happy anniversary, Obama. Thanks for the broken promises! Three years to the day after Barack Obama told millions of Americans that that was what had brought him to Washington — three years after he said those words in his inaugural address from the steps of the Capitol Building — the hope, the change and the abolishment of false promises remain largely something that has failed materialize.
- Protest Camps to speak at Occupy event with Chris Hedges Pulitzer Prize winning journalist Chris Hedges. Hedges has been a supportive and outspoken commentator on the Occupy Movement, visiting Occupations across the US. Hedges has taught at Columbia University, New York University,Princeton University and The University of Toronto
- Ben & Jerry on Citizens United Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream founders Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield discuss Business for Democracy and Citizens United.
This section is being deprecated. See Occupy San Diego Events
for full details.
See All Occupy San Diego Announcements
to read all previous announcements about
- Where we meet, how to recover confiscated property from the San Diego Police Department, information for people were arrested, etc.
- Anyone with information about arrests... Please, we need to continue to compile a complete list.
- IF YOU HAVE BEEN ARRESTED, DETAINED, OR CITED... Please complete the form here: Occupy Legal Info Request and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you can help compile the database from incoming emails, please let me know. It just takes a person who can carefully enter the data in to a web-based form.
- Arrests At Balboa Theater 2012 Jan 11 -- This topic created to track arrests and progress fighting felony arrests at Balboa Theater
- Two items relevant to OSD mission were placed on the agenda of the City of San Diego Rules Committee. This committee is yet another example of a "do-nothing" committee because they hardly even treated the proposals as serious.
- TELL POLICE HOW THEY ARE DOING: Police host monthly meetings in the community to get feedback from community members.
Lutz suing Civic Center Plaza building owners and operators Project Details
- Legal is asking: If you were at the South gate on the day of The Port Shut Down 12/12 and witnessed any of the arrests and are willing to testify...please contact HiAndrea on FB or email@example.com -- Tammy.
- More on this project... Including collected media, documents, photos, videos, etc.
- This is a VERY IMPORTANT project because we will directly engage wall street firms who own and operate the Civic Center Plaza office building.
- New Legal Web being designed on copswiki.org
- New web (area of the site) will allow us to catalog all arrests, detentions, court actions, police ids, complaints, etc.
- Once this is set up, will need the best lists we have and people who can help enter data.
- It isn't much yet, but here it is: Legal Web
- The National Lawyers Guild resources to protesters who have been arrested 619-500-4486 firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1st Circuit Rules Public Has Right to Videotape Police
- What to say to cops if you're busted. What you say and do can hurt you in court -- This is what I advise my clients to say when confronted by a law enforcement officer: "Officer, please understand I refuse to talk with you until I consult with my attorney. I also refuse to consent to any search of these premises or any other premises under my control, or in which I have a possessory, proprietary, or privacy interest, including my car, my body, or effects. I hereby demand to immediately be allowed the reasonable opportunity to obtain the advice of my attorney by telephone. from: http://layon.net/busted.php
- To check if someone is in jail check this website: http://apps.sdsheriff.net/wij/wij.aspx
- It usually takes about 6 hours for someone who has been arrested to pop up here. This site will tell you their charges, bail, etc. Jail's number is (619) 615-2700. The jail won't tell you much if anything that is not on the website. Please check this website before saying someone is in or out of jail to avoid confusion.
LINKS AND REFERENCES
Links to sites/pages below that are no longer actively updated:
SEND THIS LINK AND TELL OTHERS TO SUBSCRIBE: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
If you have:
- lists of emails that should be subscribed
- events or notices that should be included
- needs or wants to request from our supporters
- specific requests for volunteers
SEND TO: email@example.com
and we'll work to get that information included in this daily update.
NOTICE TO MEDIA / DISCLAIMER |
Occupy San Diego is comprised of many people
with diverse opinions. This email does not provide
the official position of Occupy San Diego, but is
compiled for the use of supporters and occupiers
by a number of volunteers.
News Media that may subscribe to this email blast
should confirm all information from other sources.
THANK YOU FOR BEING INVOLVED.
Edited by Email Blast Team:
- Ray Lutz (Editor)
- Josephine P. (Media / Facebook)
- Jason Packman (Education Events)
- Chris West (Events)
- Benjamin Cossel (Photographs)
- Occupy San Diego project page in "Common" web: Occupy San Diego
- New Occupy Project (new web): Occupy Web -- we will be migrating to this new web.