Get this update in your email box on a daily basis. Subscribe below: |
%--'VARCACHE:save:This page was newly rebuilt at 06 Dec 2023 - 23:54 GMT. Rebuild the page anyway.
Click to open the web-version of the report.: http://copswiki.org/Occupy/OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2012Apr03?cover=print
2012-04-03 -- HIGHLIGHTS:
03 Apr 2012 - Tue
Read more below...
Occupy Walk Schedule
We moved the occupy walk schedule and status report down after the schedule update.
Remember Chernobyl and Three Mile Island Rally at San Onofre -- 2012-04-29 Info/RSVP
Shut Down San Onofre
Legal Hearings, etc.
- Website: http://www.occupywalkusa.org
- Stream Channel: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/occupywalkusa
- Video: Occupy Walk in Kingman, AZ
- Chris McKay set out today to join the Occupy Walkers in Kingman, AZ and serve as a member of their support team. Ray Lutz provided a hotspot they can use for connecting with the internet for updates, livestream video, etc.
- They have been on three radio talk shows, so far - had several print stories, as well. One media man traveled with them for three days in Lake Havasu.
- Care packages can be sent to the walkers, via general mail and arranged drop spots.
- Jury returned a verdict of "guilty" for Brother Fish -- UNBELIEVABLE!
- Sentencing scheduled for May.
- Bobby Uribe's trial starts 4/19. Need witnesses to Bobby Uribe's arrest at port protest
- Benjamin Gasper's trial: New Trial date has been set for May 29th.
2012 Apr 03
- Balboa Park to get wireless internet access The Balboa Park Online Collaborative has reached an important milestone in creating a wireless digital infrastructure for Balboa Park. More than a dozen of the park’s institutions now have wireless access points, ranging from the San Diego Air & Space Museum to the San Diego Natural History Museum, according to BPOC. The wireless coverage extends outside to many of the park’s walkways and promenades.
For visitors, that means you can sit on one of the benches on El Prado and check your email or access the Internet on your smartphone or laptop (given the ever-rising cost of individual data plans and the rising demand for bandwidth. such free, public access points are becoming increasingly essential).
- NRC Forbids San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant From Reopening - March 2012 San Diego, CA - "The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, citing serious concerns about equipment failures at the San Onofre nuclear plant, on Tuesday prohibited plant operator Southern California Edison from restarting the plant until the problems are thoroughly understood and fixed."
- Police Are Using Phone Tracking as a Routine Tool Law enforcement tracking of cellphones, once the province mainly of federal agents, has become a powerful and widely used surveillance tool for local police officials, with hundreds of departments, large and small, often using it aggressively with little or no court oversight, documents show.
- Some of Christie's biggest bills match model legislation from D.C. group called ALEC It’s called the American Legislative Exchange Council, a little-known conservative group headquartered in Washington, D.C., and funded by some of the biggest corporations in the United States — most with a business interest in state legislation. ALEC has quietly made its mark on the political landscape by providing state governments with mock-up bills that academic and political experts say are, for the most part, tailored to fit a conservative agenda. In recent years, states — particularly those with new Republican governors and legislatures — have been flooded with ALEC’s model bills. Nearly 1,000 of them are introduced every year, and roughly one-fifth of those become law, according to ALEC’s own count. ALEC’s bills are especially attractive because they are written so they can virtually be copied and pasted onto legislative proposals across the land. For lawmakers, it can be an irresistible service.
- Japan Nuclear Plant May Be Worse Off Than Thought damage to one of three stricken reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi plant could be worse than previously thought, a recent internal investigation has shown, raising new concerns over the plant’s stability and complicating the post-disaster cleanup.
- Less Visible Occupy Movement Looks for Staying Power Six months after the Occupy movement first used protests and encampments to turn the nation’s attention to economic inequality, the movement needs to find new ways to gain attention or it will most likely fade to the edges of the political discourse, according to supporters and critics.
- Brooklyn Bridge Re-Occupied Sunday More than 200 Occupy Wall Street supporters returned to the scene of the proverbial crime Sunday on the Brooklyn Bridge, where 700 Americans were arrested when New York City's billionaire mayor unleashed his "private army" on the nonviolent movement during a similar march Oct. 1. The Partnership for Civil Justice Fund has filed a a filed federal class action lawsuit against Bloomberg, New York City, NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly and many police officers on behalf of the 700 Occupy protesters arrested Oct. 1.
- San Onofre Power Plant Misled Federal Regulators: Report The troubled San Onofre nuclear plant in Southern California will remain shut down while investigators try to solve a mystery inside its massive generators – the rapid decay of tubing that carries radioactive water, federal regulators said Tuesday.
- Supreme Court Ruling Allows Strip-Searches for Any Arrest The Supreme Court on Monday ruled by a 5-to-4 vote that officials may strip-search people arrested for any offense, however minor, before admitting them to jails even if the officials have no reason to suspect the presence of contraband.
This report is generated from an extraction filter which may pick up irrelevant articles sometimes.
- There are two factions of OSD. A larger group has General Assembly (GA) meetings at Childrens Park and every other Saturday at Redwood Circle in Balboa Park. (check Calendar for times). The other group meets weekly at 2 PM Saturdays at Civic Center Plaza.
- Finance Committee meets at 6 PM at Childrens Park on the same days that GAs meet there. Also one hour before GA at Balboa Park every other Saturday..
- Committee/Working-Group members: Please update any changes or additions as desired to osd-feedback (at) citizensoversight (dot) org.
- Occupy San Diego maintains a website with a calendar, also committee and events forums, and more at http://sandiegooccupy.org/.
- See Event list (below) and Occupy San Diego Calendar 2 for all upcoming events.
. But mark your calendars now for these!
NEXT 7 DAYS
- (This list is automatically generated from the topic Occupy.Occupy San Diego Events). Scroll down the topic almost to the bottom or look at the Calendar for more events, not within the next 7 days.
03 Apr 2012 - Tue
04 Apr 2012 - Wed
- (8a-3:20p) Political Economy Days at Palomar College broadening students’ exposure to political, economic and historical topics. Occupiers Eva David and Benjamin Cossel will present the topic: "Occupy, the Changing Face of Activism" at 9:30. Other presentations will cover the wealth divide, the effects of corporate (self) interests, and more. Free. FB Event
- (2p) Occupy San Diego City College meets Wednesdays at Gorton Quad
05 Apr 2012 - Thu
- (8a-3:20p) Political Economy Days at Palomar College continues, broadening students’ exposure to political, economic and historical topics. Presentations will cover the wealth divide, the effects of corporate (self) interests, and more. Free. FB Event
- (12p, arrive 11:45a) Megan Burke of KPBS will interview David Jacob of Occupy San Diego, at KPBS studios near SDSU on what our accomplishments are, where we are going from here, etc. GA consensed on three individuals, including Hex and John Canter, from which David was chosen by straw poll. After the selection an ad hoc working group met to go over talking points and input for David to present to the interviewer and audience.
- (2p & 6p) Public Participation Meeting regarding SDG&E Charging rate-payers for wildfire costs instead of stockholders. At Al Bahr Auditorium 5440 Kearny Mesa Rd, San Diego, CA 92111
06 Apr 2012 - Fri
- (10a) -- Press Conference: In response to a visit by Nuclear Regulatory Commission Chairman Gregory Jaczko to the troubled San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station (SONGS), leaders of local community groups are holding a press conference near the SONGS facility. The location of the press conference will be near the San Onofre State Beach guard shack on Beach Club Road. Supporters to "Shut Down San Onofre" are welcome (bring signs, banners, etc). MEDIA INVITED. The guard shack is about in the center of this map.
- (11a-2p) OSD endorsed Occupy MediCal march/event at the Chula Vista office to protest cutbacks including those to our brother Raul Carranza, who has muscular dystrophy and requires 24/7 nursing care, but was denied assistance by the state’s program director even though a judge ruled he was eligible . Speakers will include Raul and several guest speakers, including Bob Filner.
07 Apr 2012 - Sat
- (11a) OSD's six-month anniversary march. FB Event. Meet at Childrens Park, by noon to Freedom Plaza and then on to Balboa Park. At 2 p.m. the fun begins with plenty of food, lawn games, occu-egg hunt and so much more! See below...
- (3p) 6 month deadline to file a complaint with the city is in just a few more days. OSD legal support will meet you all at Balboa Park. If you have had any problems with the cops, even if you weren't arrested please come and talk to us. We will have a table with a big sign - OSD Legal. If you were arrested already tried or charges dropped please fill out a complaint form. We will be there to help you fill it out. Don't let Jerry Sanders, the city attorney or Lansdowne get away with their actions to shut down free speech. We will be heard!
- (12p-4p) Radical Feminists of San Diego present a Day of Action against Human Trafficking (Grim but excellent video, and lots more info) during Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM). At 30th and El Cajon Blvd.
PLEASE NOTE, the items below are recurring events; some may not meet today with the 6-month march and celebration and the SAAM event.:
- (1p) Women Occupy SD w/potluck at Childrens Park
- (1p) Education committee meets at Childrens Park
- (7p) "We the People" meets at the foot of Brighton Ave. at Ocean Beach For details ask Hex.
- (1p-4p) Occupy Encinitas - 1 PM rally at the corner of Encinitas Blvd. and Coast Highway 101 followed by general assembly at 2:30 PM at Cottonwood Creek Park, corner of Encinitas Blvd. and Vulcan Ave. (GA meets at Leucadia Pizzeria if raining) More info: Facebook or Website
08 Apr 2012 - Sun
- (2p-4p) TEACH-IN "(Im)migration As a Moral Issue", at Childrens Park. Facilitators are Cathy and Gera, Ocupemos El Barrio Organizers. FB Event
09 Apr 2012 - Mon
- (2p) City council agenda item on the Worldbeat Center has been moved to Tuesday the 10th at 10 AM.
- (5-7p) Save ECPAC meeting at East County Chamber of Commerce at corner of Douglas and Magnolia in El Cajon
- (6p) Planning session at Ocupemos El Barrio/Occupy The Hood's weekly meeting at the Sherman Heights Comunity Center., for the I.C.E. Breaker National Day of Protest for immigrant rights on Saturday the 14th. Concurrently:
- (6p-7:55p) WalMart is presenting a public meeting on their plans at the Southeastern Planning Group at "Neighborhood House", 841 S. 41st Street, San Diego, CA 92113. They would like input from the public on their proposed "Neighborhood Mart" in Sherman Heights.
- (6p) Facilitation Committee meets at Childrens Park
10 Apr 2012 - Tue
- (10a) San Diego City Council Meeting (includes Public Comment) at 202 "C" St (12th floor), San Diego, CA 92101
- (10a) San Diego City Council Meeting (includes Public Comment) at 202 "C" St (12th floor), San Diego, CA 92101
- (new date/time) (10a) Speak out at the City Council meeting to help save the Worldbeat Center. You can submit an agenda comment form in advance here.
- (4p-8p) Take back the night at SDSU is an evening rally supporting womyn everywhere and their right to feel safe walking alone at night. Start at Hepner Hall. FB Event
- (6p) JUST ADDED Activists/experts will speak during the Public Comment section of the Carlsbad City Council asking for the city to put the item on their agenda and take a position. 1200 Carlsbad Village Drive, Carlsbad, CA 92008. See Facebook for details.
- (7p-9p) Americans for Safe Access (ASA) meets at La Jolla Brew House in La Jolla.
- 24 Apr 2012 - (9a) Sentencing for Fish...come out and be there for our brother Fish during his sentencing! He may be facing JAIL TIME for standing up for what is right and requesting a jury trial. Dept. 47 of San Diego Superior Court.
- 24 Apr 2012 - (4:30p) COME SUPPORT OUR HERO! March and Rally in support of accused whistleblower Pfc. Bradley Manning. Gather at 3rd Ave & Beech/Cedar St. bridge for bannering, then at 5:15, march to Horton Plaza for rally and speakers. Manning will appear in court April 24-26 at Ft. Meade, MD.
- 24 Apr 2012 - (5:30p) Help keep San Onofre shut down! Attend and speak out at Vista city council meeting at Vista City Hall. We are going city by city to get the council members on board with KEEPING San Onofre shut down. The cities of Solana Beach, Irvine, and Laguna are already on board with this.
- 29 Apr 2012 - OSD ENDORSED - "Three Mile Island! Chernobyl! Fukushima! San Onofre?" - Anti-Nuke Rally and Protest at San Onofre to commemorate the 26th anniversary of the continuing Chernobyl meltdown which started on 1986-04-26, the 33-year anniversary of the Three-Mile Island accident, and the continuing disaster at Fukushima (that experts say is perhaps 20x worse than Chernobyl.) Details -- FB Event Page -- BUS TICKETS ARE RUNNING OUT, PLEASE SIGN UP NOW!
- 01 May 2012 - MAY DAY SAN DIEGO - A Day Without the 99% - International Workers Day by Occupy Labor Solidarity - also check Occupy Labor Solidarity's event page or FB Event page. Some of the events will run concurrently.
- 01 May 2012 - (11a) City College Rally just east of Park Blvd. and A Street, then march to Civic Center Plaza.
- 01 May 2012 - (12p) Rally at Civic Center Plaza - speakers to include workers from various occupations (small 'o'), then a march will start at Civic Center, go through downtown and end at the proposed Wal-Mart site in Sherman Heights between 21st and 22nd on Imperial Ave sometime after 2 PM.
- 01 May 2012 - (2p-4p) Occupy San Diego Events at Civic Center Plaza. Also actions are planned in the financial district just a couple of blocks to the east at the various banks (B of A, Wells Fargo on B Street and at Citibank near Horton Plaza).
- 01 May 2012 - (3:30p-6p) SDEA Rally at Roosevelt Middle School and March to Board Meeting - NOT AN OLS EVENT, This event for SDEA runs concurrently with the other events listed here. SDEA: The event begins at 3:30 at Roosevelt Middle School. Work at a late-start school? If you can’t make it to Roosevelt before the march takes off at 4:15, join the march at the Education Center on Normal Street from 4:45 – 5:15 before it loops back to Roosevelt.
- 01 May 2012 - (4p-6p) OSD Labor Solidarity Rally at Civic Center and March to Chicano Park around 6 PM to join the event in progress at Chicano Park. There will be many speakers at Civic Center, representing organized and non-organized groups, including hotel workers, in-home care providers, representatives from student groups, LGBT activists on achieving equality in the workplace, and more.
- 01 May 2012 - (5:30p) Chicano Park Festival
- 01 May 2012 - (6p) March to and direct action at the Westin Hotel near Horton Plaza protesting management's lack of willingness to negotiate a new contract with the hotel workers there.
- 01 May 2012 - (7p) GA at Freedom Plaza
- Bobby Uribe's court date has been postponed until June11th.
http://copswiki.org/Occupy/OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2012Apr03 <== click here to see the rest of the report.
To update your mailing list preferences, including unsubscribing, go to this address: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
Occupy Walk has adopted a more practical walking schedule based on walking an average of 15 miles per day, 5 days per week. The additional 2 days off dedicated to outreach activities.
FROM: Needles, CA
|| Est Time
|| Est. Arrival
| San Diego, CA
|| 18 Feb 2012
| 29 Palms
|| 19 Mar 2012
Janson Brock at 29 Palms
| Needles, CA
|| 20 Mar 2012
| Crossed into AZ
|| 22 Mar 2012
| Lake Havasu
|| 25 Mar 2012
| Oatman, AZ
|| 27 Mar 2012
|| Oatman to Golden Valley
| Kingman, AZ
|| 30 Mar 2012 - 01 Apr 2012
Video: Occupy Walk in Kingman, AZ
| Flagstaff, Arizona
|| 213 mi
|| 3 weeks
|| April 15, 2012
| Albuquerque, NM
|| 331 mi
|| 4.5 wks
|| May 16, 2012
| Amarillo, Texas
|| 314 mi
|| 4 weeks
|| June 13, 2012
| Wichita, Kansas
|| 346 mi
|| 5 weeks
|| July 18, 2012
| Kansas city, Mo.
|| 215 mi
|| 3 weeks
|| Aug 8, 2012
| Fairfield, Iowa
|| 237 mi
|| 3 weeks
|| Aug 29, 2012
| Chicago, Illinois
|| 260 mi
|| 3.5 wks
|| Sept 23, 2012
| Gary, Indiana
|| 28 mi
|| 2 days
|| Sept 25, 2012
| Toledo, Ohio
|| 204 mi
|| 3 weeks
|| Oct 16, 2012
| Akron, Ohio
|| 121 mi
|| 2 weeks
|| Oct 30, 2012
| Youngstown, Ohio
|| 46 mi
|| 3 days
|| Nov 3, 2012
| Allentown, PA
|| 317 mi
|| 4.5 wks
|| Dec 6, 2012
| Newark, NJ
|| 76 mi
|| 1 week
|| Dec 14, 2012
| Zuccotti Park, NY
|| 9 mi
|| 1 day
|| Dec 15, 2012
Things YOU can do right now to help.
See All Occupy San Diego Announcements
to read all previous announcements about
- Where we meet, how to recover confiscated property from the San Diego Police Department, information for people were arrested, etc.
- OSD speaks at the Citizens Review Board of Police Practices on 1/24
Have you been mistreated by the Police? Have your First Amendment rights been violated? Have you been arrested for nothing, only to have the charges "unfiled" but held over your head for up to a year?
- First read this document: http://www.2momslaw.com/police_misconduct.pdf
- Make a Complaint: How to Make a Police Complaint
- Use this form: Complaint Form
- Forms also available in the lobby of City Hall.
- Citizen's Review Board member says we do NOT need names & badge numbers. File the complaint & it's up to SDPD to determine who the officer was (But it is better if we have them, of course).
- ALSO: By telephone or in writing to
- SDPD Internal Affairs Unit, 1401 Broadway, MS 709, San Diego CA 92101, (619) 531-2801
- Complaints made to the Citizens Review Board do not necessarily make it into the officers' personnel files
- Read this: Making Police Compliants That Stick
- Also, consider making a CLAIM against the city for your BOND money if charges were never filed. They have 45 days to reject the claim, then you file a lawsuit. It costs $400 to file unless you can claim low income.
Lutz suing Civic Center Plaza building owners and operators Project Details
- TELL POLICE HOW THEY ARE DOING: Police host monthly meetings in the community to get feedback from community members.
- More on this project... Including collected media, documents, photos, videos, etc.
- This is a VERY IMPORTANT project because we will directly engage wall street firms who own and operate the Civic Center Plaza office building.
- The National Lawyers Guild resources to protesters who have been arrested 619-500-4486 email@example.com
- 1st Circuit Rules Public Has Right to Videotape Police
- What to say to cops if you're busted. What you say and do can hurt you in court -- This is what I advise my clients to say when confronted by a law enforcement officer: "Officer, please understand I refuse to talk with you until I consult with my attorney. I also refuse to consent to any search of these premises or any other premises under my control, or in which I have a possessory, proprietary, or privacy interest, including my car, my body, or effects. I hereby demand to immediately be allowed the reasonable opportunity to obtain the advice of my attorney by telephone. from: http://layon.net/busted.php
- To check if someone is in jail check this website: http://apps.sdsheriff.net/wij/wij.aspx
- It usually takes about 6 hours for someone who has been arrested to pop up here. This site will tell you their charges, bail, etc. Jail's number is (619) 615-2700. The jail won't tell you much if anything that is not on the website. Please check this website before saying someone is in or out of jail to avoid confusion.
- FYI -- Penal Code 849.5. In any case in which a person is arrested and released and no accusatory pleading is filed charging him with an offense, any record of arrest of the person shall include a record of release. Thereafter, the arrest shall not be deemed an arrest, but a detention only.
- http://www.constitution.org/uslaw/defunlaw.htm -- Your rights when you are being arrested falsely.
LINKS AND REFERENCES
Links to sites/pages below that are no longer actively updated:
SEND THIS LINK AND TELL OTHERS TO SUBSCRIBE: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
If you have:
- lists of emails that should be subscribed
- events or notices that should be included
- needs or wants to request from our supporters
- specific requests for volunteers
SEND TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
and we'll work to get that information included in this daily update.
NOTICE TO MEDIA / DISCLAIMER |
Occupy San Diego is comprised of many people
with diverse opinions. This email does not provide
the official position of Occupy San Diego, but is
compiled for the use of supporters and occupiers
by a number of volunteers.
News Media that may subscribe to this email blast
should confirm all information from other sources.
THANK YOU FOR BEING INVOLVED.
Edited by Email Blast Team:
- Ray Lutz (Editor)
- Josephine P. (Media / Facebook)
- Chris West (Events)
- Occupy San Diego project page in "Common" web: Occupy San Diego
- New Occupy Project (new web): Occupy Web -- we will be migrating to this new web.