Get this update in your email box on a daily basis. Subscribe below: |
%--'VARCACHE:save:This page was newly rebuilt at 21 Sep 2023 - 22:02 GMT. Rebuild the page anyway.
Click to open the web-version of the report.: http://copswiki.org/Occupy/OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2012Feb15?cover=print
Occupy Update! -- 2012-02-15 -- HIGHLIGHTS:
15 Feb 2012 - Wed
Read more below...
California Democratic Convention
San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station (SONGS)
- $680 million spent on this nuclear plant only 18 months ago, and heat transfer tubes are already wearing out -- they are designed to fail but usually last perhaps 10 years.
- We still don't know the full extent of the failure because the authorities, and all Main-stream media do not tell the truth. MSNBC is owned by GE and CBS is largely owned by Westinghouse, and those two companies both make $$ from selling nuclear plant hardware.
- Large event at the nuclear reactor site is planned for the one year anniversary of the Fukushima disaster -- still in complete uncontrolled meltdown -- on March 11. See the flier.
- Note: not yet endorsed by OSD but seeking endorsement!
- Details: M 11 San Onofre Protest And Rally -- but campground does not allow camping, only day use at the time of the event.
2012 Feb 15
- 'Cash Mobs' Strike Again Lauren Way coordinates Cash Mobs in San Diego. She recently announced the location for Monday night's flash mob on the group's Facebook page: In Old Town, mobbers will meet at the entrance of Fiesta De Reyes, on Juan St. between Wallace and Mason St. The meet-up time is 6:30 p.m.
- http://www.revolutiontruth.org/live/ Chris Hedges' most recent Truthdig column was a searing condemnation of Black Bloc as part of the Occupy movement. This article comes at a time when Occupy is suffering from coordinated and vicious attacks from the outside, weariness, winter (in the Western hemisphere), and rifts on the inside, and a seeming disconnect between the larger public and the movement itself. The responses to Hedges' article have been quite polarized. Some resonated with his obvious frustration and concern; others found the piece to be an offensive conflation of tactics and groups and a misguided attack on anarchists. The piece generated intense debate around the world, opening up discussions that are delving into the heart of the nature of Occupy and the profoundly diverse perspectives embodied in this movement. Join us for a panel with Chris Hedges, Margaret Flowers, Zevin Zeese, Georgia Sagri and two others from Occupy Wall Street to discuss anarchist philosophy, Black Bloc, and Occupy.
- Where’s the Love? Occupy St. Valentine’s Day! Have you had your Dreams crushed? Heart broken? Want to love again, but maybe feel the need to end a bad experience once and for all? To heal ourselves as a community, to reclaim our capacity to Love and Trust, we are joining together to celebrate one another– and to make our voices heard clearly: we want a system that respects people, plants, animals and the planet itself!
- Occupy fights the law: Will the law win? From Boise to Nashvile, the movement faces an unconstitutional legal siege. The Occupy movement is an exercise in the workings of power whether it is social, financial, policing or political. The occupations that began in September spread with an infectious passion in part because the police violence and mass arrests, the tried-and-true methods of state power employed to suppress radical movements, backfired and the movement grew more. By October hundreds of encampments had popped up nationwide with the tacit cooperation and sometimes explicit approval of local officials. For a few heady weeks Occupy Wall Street had the glow of popular legitimacy – social power – trumping whatever fusty laws prohibited camping or a continuous presence in a public space.
- Workers Occupy AT&T Atlanta Headquarters to Stop Layoffs While workers at Verizon and Verizon Wireless have been fighting for dignity and respect since last summer, workers at AT&T are facing attacks of their own. In the last month, the company has targeted over 740 union workers, primarily in the southern region of the country, to lay-off despite reporting record profits this quarter.
- Santorum: "Barack Obama has sided with the 99 versus 1.” Leave it to Rick to accidentally tell it like it is while trying to woo the radical right wingers that now control the GOP. While the Occupy Wall Street people were protesting his campaign appearance, Rick couldn't help but mock the OWS movement, the 99% they represent and the President that supports them.
"... That’s not what a leader of this country should do but Barack Obama has sided with the 99 versus one.”
“He supported this movement, this movement that is intolerant and disrespectful. He supported them and embraced them,” Santorum said to loud cheers from his supporters. “Why? Because it’s consistent with exactly what Barack Obama’s trying to do with this country.”Could anyone imagine the day when someone running for President would publicly side with one percent?
- Some Who Decline an Optional Iris Photo Are Kept Longer in Jail, Critics Say After her arrest at an Occupy Wall Street protest in December, Samantha Wilson expected to be booked, fingerprinted and subjected to a mug shot. But when a police officer raised a small device to her face and began photographing her eyes, she declined. Ms. Wilson, 32, said her refusal resulted in a threat from the officer. “He said: ‘It’s not really optional. It’ll take you longer to get out of here if you don’t do it,’ ” she recalled.
- Two Occupy Wall St. protesters sue the cop who pepper-sprayed them Anthony Bologna target of women's lawsuit. A high-ranking cop who pepper-sprayed penned-in Occupy Wall Street protesters has been zapped with a lawsuit by two women who were in the line of fire.
Chelsea Elliott and Jeanne Mansfield are suing Deputy Inspector Anthony Bologna in Manhattan Federal Court for blasting them in the face with pepper-spray during a protest last Sept. 24 near Union Square.The incident was caught on video, and 1.5 million people watched it on You Tube, prompting outrage and drawing attention to the Occupy Wall Street movement. Bologna was docked 10 days of vacation for violating NYPD regulations.
In an interview Monday, Mansfield, 24, a Boston writer, said she was suing because she wanted to put the NYPD on notice that what Bologna did was wrong.
- Romney condemns auto-industry rescue Looking back over the last three years, there's arguably no better example of a policy Republicans got wrong than the rescue of the American auto industry. When President Obama launched his ambitious policy in 2009, he was taking a major gamble -- not only with the backbone of American manufacturing, but with his presidency and its ability to use the power of government to repair a private industry facing collapse.
- Occupy protesters tased at Santorum event Things got a little rowdy during Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum’s visit to Tacoma, Washington on Monday, where reports said that authorities used a taser on least one Occupy Wall Street protester. “I think it’s really important for you to understand what this radical element represents, because what they represent is true intolerance,” Santorum said of the Occupy Tacoma protesters, who have an encampment right next to the museum where he was speaking. He added that they should “go out and get a job” instead of “standing here unemployed, yelling at somebody.”
Unless noted, all events are at Freedom Plaza
(AKA Civic Center Plaza
, 1200 3rd Ave. San Diego, Intersection of 3rd Ave. and B St.)
Unless otherwise noted, we meet daily as follows:
- 4 pm -- Finance Committee Meeting now at at The Activist Center, Mon. thru Friday
- Each committee should send a representative to this meeting! Budget is currently being defined.
- 5:30 pm -- Committee meetings -- Each will schedule the days of their meetings.
- 7pm -- General Assembly (Civic Center Plaza)
- Saturday GA will be at 2pm.
- GAs require 20 participants for a quorum.
- Committee/Working-Group members: Please update any changes or additions as desired to osd-feedback (at) citizensoversight (dot) org. Also Facilitation maintains a website at http://osdfacilitation.wordpress.com/.
. But mark your calendars now for these!
NEXT 7 DAYS
- (This list is automatically generated from the topic Occupy.Occupy San Diego Events). Scroll down the topic almost to the bottom or look at the Calendar for more events, not within the next 7 days.
15 Feb 2012 - Wed
16 Feb 2012 - Thu
- Occupiers up along the West Coast will be boarding the "Occupy Express" starting in Los Angeles to arrive in Olympia, WA for the (OSD supported) Occupy Solidarity Social Forum on Feb 18th and 19th. The Express is due to return to LA on the 21st. If interested in the Express, send an email to Chuck@AFGJ.org.
- (12p-2p) Rally for Safe Access at the Federal Courthouse at 940 Front St. at E St., in response to Obama's Justice Department's war on medical marijuana patients, in some states ignoring individuals state's laws permitting use of same as medicine. FB Event Not an OSD event.
- (12p) San Diego Reinvestment Task Force at 202 C Street, 12th Floor Hearing Room, San Diego, CA 92101
- (4p) Finance Committee meets at the Activist Center.
- (5:30p) Events Committee
17 Feb 2012 - Fri
- (8a-9:30a) "A Better San Diego" presents a breakfast and panel discussion at Ufcw Hall Mission Valley to learn about the foreclosure crisis and discuss solutions. Breakfast is provided for a suggested donation of $5. Please RSVP to email@example.com. Panelists include: David Lagstein, Alliance of Californians for Community Empowerment (ACCE), And Corinne Wilson, Center for Policy Initiatives (CPI). Facebook event page
- (4p) Finance Committee meets at the Activist Center.
- (5p) Feminist Friday teach-in at Freedom Plaza.
- (5:30p) Wellness Committee
- (6p) Resources Committee
- (5:30p) Events Committee
18 Feb 2012 - Sat
- 2012 - (6p-10p) JUST FOR RAUL FUNDRAISER! OSD Labor Solidarity Committee presents a Benefit Concert for Raul Carranza, who has muscular dystrophy and requires 24/7 nursing care, but was denied assistance by the state’s program director even though a judge ruled he was eligible, at Centro Cultural De La Raza. Program Includes Joshua Napier, People's Revolutionary Choir, and Women Occupella! Please let the Occupy San Diego Labor Solidarity Committee know if you would like to contribute or perform =) Invite friends and family, All are Welcome!! $5 donation suggested for: FOOD, DRINKS, ARTISTS. We will also be having a RAFFLE! "I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for wanting to help me in my struggle. Any and all donations are welcome. All money raised through this event will be used to cover my medical bills or possible legal fees from trying to overturn Medi-Cal's decision to cut my funding. Thank you for caring,Raul Carranza".
- (12p-2p) OccupYRCorner in Clairemont - Stand w/Signs and handout info at Balboa & Genessee FB Event
- (10a-12p) Sick Call by Wellness Group at Freedom Plaza followed by Committee Meeting
- (2p) GA Meeting at Freedom Plaza.
- (after GA) Media working group
- (1p-4p) Occupy Encinitas - 1 PM rally at the corner of Encinitas Blvd. and Coast Highway 101 followed by general assembly at 2:30 PM at Cottonwood Creek Park, corner of Encinitas Blvd. and Vulcan Ave. (GA meets at Leucadia Pizzeria if raining) More info: Facebook or Website
- (5:30p) Events Committee
19 Feb 2012 - Sun
- (7:30p -1a) San Diego Occu-Party Benefit Concert #3 with Liquid Blue, the Women’s Occupella Chorus, Skavolutionary Orchestra, The Barnwell Shift, Fabio Alejandro from "B Side Players" & Marauak, spoken word artists Jerrica Escoto and Deacon Blair, and guest speakers Stephanie Jennings of Women Occupy San Diego, and Mike Garcia at the Soda Bar at 3615 El Cajon Boulevard in SD. Admission $5. Please help spread the word on this fundraiser.
- (5:30p) Events Committee
20 Feb 2012 - Mon
22 Feb 2012 - Wed
- (5p) Committee focused on direct actions in the county will meet at Childrens Park.
- (6p) Media Committee meeting at Childrens Park
- (2p) Occupy San Diego City College meets Wednesdays at Gorton Quad
SAN ONOFRE ACTION
- 29 Feb 2012 - (9a- 12p, 1:30p-4:30p) The Jury trial of Brother Hex continues at dept. 15 on the 2nd floor of the San Diego Superior Court. Supporters of Hex are encouraged to attend. Today defense attorney Laura Sheppard plans on making a motion for dismissal. Should the motion not be granted, defense evidence will take up most/all of today, and maybe into Thursday. Should you have any questions call Mitchell Sterling at 619-808-2199.
- 29 Feb 2012 - F29 - Shut Down the Corporations -- (OSD will be participating) Occupy Portland calls for a national day of non-violent civil disobedience targeting corporations who are members of ALEC, one of the most successful mechanisms that the 1% uses to control legislation. We are asking people around the country to choose members of ALEC in their home towns and SHUT DOWN BUSINESS AS USUAL - Occupy Riverside is having an action at the largest WalMart distribution center in the country at 4155 Wineville Ave, Mira Loma, CA 91752 (thanks, Chris M). Chris McKay will be driving up there with a full carload of pessengers; If you're also driving up and can offer rides, or would like a ride from someone else who is driving up, conact Chris at 619-241-6826. There will be a bus leaving from Fullerton at 4:30 AM as well…ask Chris for details. Riverside FB event page Occupy Riverside page
- 29 Feb 2012 - (6p-8p - please try to arrive 15 min. early) Occupying San Diego County: Celebrations and Mournings Workshop will be held at the Peace Resource Center. No charge, bring food to share if you would like. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. More info: Facebook event page
- 2012 Mar 11 - (1p) Protest/Rally at San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station (SONGS) -- On the one-year anniversary of the Fukushima disaster that is still ongoing, we will commemorate the disaster and also protest continued use of dangerous and costly nuclear reactors and push for clean renewable energy. Details: M 11 San Onofre Protest and Rally For more info contact Gene Stone at email@example.com or at (949) 233-7724.
- May 1 -- General Strike. INFO FROM OCCUPY SO CAL. NO APPROVAL OF OSD GA.
http://copswiki.org/Occupy/OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2012Feb15 <== click here to see the rest of the report.
To update your mailing list preferences, including unsubscribing, go to this address: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
Things YOU can do right now to help.
Have comments you want sent out? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
See All Occupy San Diego Announcements
to read all previous announcements about
- Where we meet, how to recover confiscated property from the San Diego Police Department, information for people were arrested, etc.
- OSD speaks at the Citizens Review Board of Police Practices on 1/24
Have you been mistreated by the Police? Have your First Amendment rights been violated? Have you been arrested for nothing, only to have the charges "unfiled" but held over your head for up to a year?
Call for Witnesses:
- First read this document: http://www.2momslaw.com/police_misconduct.pdf
- Make a Complaint: How to Make a Police Complaint
- Use this form: Complaint Form
- Forms also available in the lobby of City Hall.
- Citizen's Review Board member says we do NOT need names & badge numbers. File the complaint & it's up to SDPD to determine who the officer was (But it is better if we have them, of course).
- ALSO: By telephone or in writing to
- SDPD Internal Affairs Unit, 1401 Broadway, MS 709, San Diego CA 92101, (619) 531-2801
- Complaints made to the Citizens Review Board do not necessarily make it into the officers' personnel files
- Read this: Making Police Compliants That Stick
- Also, consider making a CLAIM against the city for your BOND money if charges were never filed. They have 45 days to reject the claim, then you file a lawsuit. It costs $400 to file unless you can claim low income.
Two occupiers are facing trial for criminal charges stemming from arrests at the Port Shut-down on December 12. Attorneys for Curtis Williams (aka Hex) and Bobby Uribe are looking for defense witnesses to dispute officer testimony and any photo or video footage of the arrests. If you witnessed Curtis's arrest, please contact attorney Laura Sheppard at email@example.com
. If you witnessed Bobby's arrest, please contact attorney Adriane Bracciale at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Making Police Compliants That Stick -- Important info from Adriane of NLG
- Anyone with information about arrests... Please, we need to continue to compile a complete list.
- IF YOU HAVE BEEN ARRESTED, DETAINED, OR CITED... Please complete the form here: Occupy Legal Info Request and email to email@example.com.
- If you can help compile the database from incoming emails, please let me know. It just takes a person who can carefully enter the data in to a web-based form.
- Arrests At Balboa Theater 2012 Jan 11 -- This topic created to track arrests and progress fighting felony arrests at Balboa Theater
- Two items relevant to OSD mission were placed on the agenda of the City of San Diego Rules Committee. This committee is yet another example of a "do-nothing" committee because they hardly even treated the proposals as serious.
- TELL POLICE HOW THEY ARE DOING: Police host monthly meetings in the community to get feedback from community members.
Lutz suing Civic Center Plaza building owners and operators Project Details
- Legal is asking: If you were at the South gate on the day of The Port Shut Down 12/12 and witnessed any of the arrests and are willing to testify...please contact HiAndrea on FB or firstname.lastname@example.org -- Tammy.
- More on this project... Including collected media, documents, photos, videos, etc.
- This is a VERY IMPORTANT project because we will directly engage wall street firms who own and operate the Civic Center Plaza office building.
- The National Lawyers Guild resources to protesters who have been arrested 619-500-4486 email@example.com
- 1st Circuit Rules Public Has Right to Videotape Police
- What to say to cops if you're busted. What you say and do can hurt you in court -- This is what I advise my clients to say when confronted by a law enforcement officer: "Officer, please understand I refuse to talk with you until I consult with my attorney. I also refuse to consent to any search of these premises or any other premises under my control, or in which I have a possessory, proprietary, or privacy interest, including my car, my body, or effects. I hereby demand to immediately be allowed the reasonable opportunity to obtain the advice of my attorney by telephone. from: http://layon.net/busted.php
- To check if someone is in jail check this website: http://apps.sdsheriff.net/wij/wij.aspx
- It usually takes about 6 hours for someone who has been arrested to pop up here. This site will tell you their charges, bail, etc. Jail's number is (619) 615-2700. The jail won't tell you much if anything that is not on the website. Please check this website before saying someone is in or out of jail to avoid confusion.
- FYI -- Penal Code 849.5. In any case in which a person is arrested and released and no accusatory pleading is filed charging him with an offense, any record of arrest of the person shall include a record of release. Thereafter, the arrest shall not be deemed an arrest, but a detention only.
LINKS AND REFERENCES
Links to sites/pages below that are no longer actively updated:
SEND THIS LINK AND TELL OTHERS TO SUBSCRIBE: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
If you have:
- lists of emails that should be subscribed
- events or notices that should be included
- needs or wants to request from our supporters
- specific requests for volunteers
SEND TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
and we'll work to get that information included in this daily update.
NOTICE TO MEDIA / DISCLAIMER |
Occupy San Diego is comprised of many people
with diverse opinions. This email does not provide
the official position of Occupy San Diego, but is
compiled for the use of supporters and occupiers
by a number of volunteers.
News Media that may subscribe to this email blast
should confirm all information from other sources.
THANK YOU FOR BEING INVOLVED.
Edited by Email Blast Team:
- Ray Lutz (Editor)
- Josephine P. (Media / Facebook)
- Jason Packman (Education Events)
- Chris West (Events)
- Benjamin Cossel (Photographs)
- Occupy San Diego project page in "Common" web: Occupy San Diego
- New Occupy Project (new web): Occupy Web -- we will be migrating to this new web.