Get this update in your email box on a daily basis. Subscribe below: |
%--'VARCACHE:save:This page was newly rebuilt at 21 Sep 2023 - 23:21 GMT. Rebuild the page anyway.
Click to open the web-version of the report.: http://copswiki.org/Occupy/OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2012Feb23?cover=print
2012-02-23 -- HIGHLIGHTS:
23 Feb 2012 - Thu
Read more below...
San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station (SONGS)
- There are two groups meeting which are forks from the original OSD.
- Freedom Plaza maintains a smaller group of perhaps 8 people.
- Childrens Park has a much larger group of about 40 people or more.
- Most of the information in the blast will be related to the OSD fork at Children's Park.
- Please check meeting locations carefully as previous information may be incorrect.
- OSD endorsed this event tonight!
- Press Release on M11 San Onofre Protest sent to media and all lists today.
- Contacted by KPFA -- They want to run our livestream along with many other protests happening on March 11 regarding the Fukushima disaster.
- US News media has blacked out news about the continued full meltdown at Fukushima and the radioactive contamination of the area because most of the media is owned by companies who also have a stake in the nuclear industry. NBC which has the most left-leaning news station, MSNBC is wholly owned by GE, a nuclear industry leader.
- Details: M 11 San Onofre Protest And Rally -- but campground does not allow camping, only day use at the time of the event.
2012 Feb 23
- SDPD Oversight Board Faces Favoritism Accusations The San Diego Citizens' Review Board on Police Practices was created to protect citizens from overly aggressive police officers and to clear officers facing erroneous claims, but critics say this important safeguard is failing.
- Cardiff Kook Gets Political The Cardiff Kook is dressed as an Occupy protester today in a sign of solidarity for the Occupy Walk, a national march that launched in San Diego on Feb. 11.
- Secondary Sources: Breaking Up Banks, Inequality and Mobility, Fed Yucks Sheila Bair says it’s time to break up the too big to fail banks. “Yet with gridlock in Washington, don’t count on politicians for a solution. Shareholders, however, have an interest in demanding that big banks split apart. Comparing the valuation for the supersize banks (Citigroup (C), Bank of America (BAC), and J.P. Morgan Chase (JPM)) with their simpler, leaner competitors isn’t pretty.
- Ben & Jerry Hope to “Get the Dough Out” of Politics The Ben & Jerry’s “Get The Dough Out” petition is an effort to remove money, which is often used by wealthy interests to project undue influence on legislation, from politics. Cohen and Greenfield have headlined several discussion forums on the permeating spread of political bribery in Washington, and several of their talks have been featured on C-SPAN.
- Icelandic Anger Brings Debt Forgiveness in Best Recovery Story Icelanders who pelted parliament with rocks in 2009 demanding their leaders and bankers answer for the country’s economic and financial collapse are reaping the benefits of their anger. Since the end of 2008, the island’s banks have forgiven loans equivalent to 13 percent of gross domestic product, easing the debt burdens of more than a quarter of the population
- Nurses Fight for a Dose of Tax Justice By now, nurses in bright red scrubs are a familiar sight at rallies in Washington, D.C., New York City, and at Occupy protests around the country. National Nurses United (NNU), a union representing registered nurses, is a major, visible force in the growing movements challenging corporate power.
- 'Occupy' to hold national conference in Philly A group of protesters affiliated with the Occupy Wall Street movement plans to elect 876 "delegates" from around the country and hold a national "general assembly" in Philadelphia over the Fourth of July as part of ongoing protests over corporate excess and economic inequality.
Unless otherwise noted, we meet daily as follows:
- 4 pm -- Finance Committee Meetings continue at the Activist Center, Mon. thru Fri. In the future, Saturday meetings may be resumed at Freedom Plaza or Children's Park.
- Each committee should send a representative to this meeting!
- 5:30 pm -- Committee meetings -- Each will schedule the days of their meetings.
- Next General Assembly at Childrens Park: Wed Feb 22 at 7 PM, will be held three days per week, every other day except Sunday, even numbered dates through February, odd numbered dates through March. When GAs fall on a Saturday, meetings will be at Balboa Park (near 6th and Laurel) at 2 PM
- Weekly Saturday meetings will also be held at 2pm at Freedom Plaza.
- GAs require 20 participants for a quorum.
- Committee/Working-Group members: Please update any changes or additions as desired to osd-feedback (at) citizensoversight (dot) org. Also Facilitation maintains a website at http://osdfacilitation.wordpress.com/.
. But mark your calendars now for these!
NEXT 7 DAYS
- (This list is automatically generated from the topic Occupy.Occupy San Diego Events). Scroll down the topic almost to the bottom or look at the Calendar for more events, not within the next 7 days.
23 Feb 2012 - Thu
24 Feb 2012 - Fri
- (9:30a) Jury trial of Benjamin Gasper continues, who despite our state's law allowing for medical marijuana cultivation for personal use, has been targeted by San Diego's District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis. This trial will be indicative of how Dumanis and those under her operate and bend the law to interpret simple cultivation to automatically infer cultivation for sales. The trial is being held at dept. 50, fourth floor, San Diego Superior Court, 220 West Broadway. More info at the Facebook event page at Benjamin Gasper - Jury Trial. Opening arguments will likely start early next week when supporters of Ben are encouraged to attend.
- (12p-1:30p) Justice for Janitors (J4J) rally and march, to address income inequality and lack of health care benefits for janitors, begins at 8th and B Streets. Unfortunately, San Diego County janitors have the lowest pay and benefits in the entire State of CA. (Not an OSD event) More info see Facebook event page
- (5p) Protest in solidarity with Palestinian detainee Khader Adnan who has been snatched from his home, and has been on a 65-day hunger strike in an Israeli prison. He has had no trial and has not been given a reason to be detained. At Federal Building, 880 Front St.
25 Feb 2012 - Sat
- (12:30p) Labor Solidarity Committee meets at Freedom Plaza
- (1p) Education committee meets at Childrens Park
- (7p) "We the People" meets at the foot of Brighton Ave. at Ocean Beach For details ask Hex.
- (1p-4p) Occupy Encinitas - 1 PM rally at the corner of Encinitas Blvd. and Coast Highway 101 followed by general assembly at 2:30 PM at Cottonwood Creek Park, corner of Encinitas Blvd. and Vulcan Ave. (GA meets at Leucadia Pizzeria if raining) More info: Facebook or Website
26 Feb 2012 - Sun
- (12:30p) Meditation teach-in at Freedom Plaza Bring a chair or a blanket with a cushion
- (2p) Meditation teach-in at Childrens Park Bring a chair or a blanket with a cushion
27 Feb 2012 - Mon
- (9a- 12p, 1:30p-4:30p) Jury Selection and possible opening statements starting at 1:30p Jury trial of Brother Hex (Curtis Williams). Supporters are encouraged to attend.
- (2p) Occupy San Diego City College meets at Gorton Quad to work on planning for the March 1st Walkout
- Occupy our Food Supply is a global day of action focused on the “externalities” of Big Ag, including environmental damage, that affect the 99%, and buying food locally sustainably. Click here if interested in organizing an event in the area.
- (6p) Facilitation Committee meets at Childrens Park
28 Feb 2012 - Tue
- (10a) San Diego City Council Meeting (includes Public Comment) at 202 "C" St (12th floor), San Diego, CA 92101
- (10a) San Diego City Council Meeting (includes Public Comment) at 202 "C" St (12th floor), San Diego, CA 92101
- (9a- 12p, 1:30p-4:30p) Opening statements, and prosecution evidence (i.e. cops on the stand), for the Jury trial of Brother Hex (Curtis Williams), who was arrested during the Port Shutdown action, in Department 15, (on the 2nd floor) of the San Diego Superior Court. Opening statments will likely begin this afternoon, after jury selection is completed. Hex would greatly appreciate any supporters at these proceedings. The trial is expected to take all day today, tomorrow, and possibly Thursday. Should you have any questions call Mitchell Sterling at 619-808-2199.
- (7p-9p) David Cobb, national spokesman for Move to Amend.org (MTA now OSD endorsed) will present his talk "Creating Democracy & Challenging Corporate Rule." at the Church Of The Brethren, 3850 Westgate Place, San Diego, CA, 92105. FB Event
- (7p-9p) - North County meeting of Americans for Safe Access (ASA) will be held at 514 South Coast Hwy Oceanside, CA 92054
- (7p) Chris Hedges will be speaking at Crill Performance Hall at Point Loma Nazarene University, ...as part of the Writer's Symposium. Purchase tickets at http://www.pointloma.edu/writers for $10.00 plus $1.25 fee.
Chris Hedges was a war correspondent for over 20 years. He was awarded a Pulitzer Prize with the New York Times for his coverage of global terrorism. His book “War is a Force That Gives Us Meaning”, draws upon his experiences covering conflicts in Bosnia, El Salvador and Israel. His Most recent book, “Death of the Liberal Class, explores the potential loss of democracy due to a culture enamored of corporate greed and capitalism
Chris Hedges was one of the founders of October2011.org -- the planned “occupation” of Freedom Plaza in Washington, D.C. Find more information about their months of activity by going to that website and the website below.
http://www.truthdig.com/chris_hedges#bio " - Peggy Budd
Peggy has offered to buy tickets for any OSDers who want to attend!
29 Feb 2012 - Wed
- (9a- 12p, 1:30p-4:30p) The Jury trial of Brother Hex continues at dept. 15 on the 2nd floor of the San Diego Superior Court. Supporters of Hex are encouraged to attend. Today defense attorney Laura Sheppard plans on making a motion for dismissal. Should the motion not be granted, defense evidence will take up most/all of today, and maybe into Thursday. Should you have any questions call Mitchell Sterling at 619-808-2199.
- F29 - Shut Down the Corporations -- (OSD will be participating) Occupy Portland calls for a national day of non-violent civil disobedience targeting corporations who are members of ALEC, one of the most successful mechanisms that the 1% uses to control legislation. We are asking people around the country to choose members of ALEC in their home towns and SHUT DOWN BUSINESS AS USUAL - Occupy Riverside is having an action at the largest WalMart distribution center in the country at 4155 Wineville Ave, Mira Loma, CA 91752 (thanks, Chris M). Chris McKay will be driving up there with a full carload of pessengers; If you're also driving up and can offer rides, or would like a ride from someone else who is driving up, conact Chris at 619-241-6826. There will be a bus leaving from Fullerton at 4:30 AM as well…ask Chris for details. Riverside FB event page Occupy Riverside page
- (6p-8p - please try to arrive 15 min. early) Occupying San Diego County: Celebrations and Mournings Workshop will be held at the Peace Resource Center. No charge, bring food to share if you would like. Please RSVP to email@example.com. More info: Facebook event page
- (2p) Occupy San Diego City College meets Wednesdays at Gorton Quad
01 Mar 2012 - Thu
- National Day of Action For Education. See below for local actions:
- (11a) -- San Diego City College - Walkout, rally and march at Curran Plaza All occupiers are invited to participate; bring signs, cowbells, drums, noisemakers. A rough timeline: 11 AM - Gather and rally at Curran Plaza. 11:20 - March through campus to meet at noon back at Curran Plaza for speakers from different local groups, open mic, musical entertainment, then at 1 PM or sometime thereafter march from Curran Plaza through Civic Center Plaza, then down to gather at Childrens Park at 2 PM, for food/water/refreshments. Anyone is encouraged to bring any sort of ready-to-eat dish and/or liquid refreshments to share. Later on a march up to the "Governor's Office", the state building at 1350 Front St., where Occupy South Bay San Diego will continue with a rally from 4:30 - 6:30 to protest budget cuts to education and call for the 1% to pay for their fair share of taxes.
- (8a-8p) -- SDSU - 12 PM - 1 PM -- Walkout to Scripps Patio, check Facebook page for updates.
- [8a-8p) -- UCSD -- Walkout begins at 11:30 ((converge on Library Walk at the Silent Tree), followed by a rally at noon, march at 1 PM, followed by a Declaration Of Demands And Reclamation (Bring a tent!), and teachouts on library walk all day. More details at March 1st Walkout & Day of Action!
- (9a) The Jury trial of Brother Hex, who was arrested while jaywalking across the port entrance, continues and may conclude today at dept. 15 on the 2nd floor of the San Diego Superior Court. Supporters of Hex are encouraged to attend. Should you have any questions call Mitchell Sterling at 619-808-2199.
- Occupier Tony leaves today from Freedom Plaza on a 15 mile per day walk/bicycle ride up to L.A., to proceed east along old route 66, to proceed north to arrive in D.C. on 9/11, then up to Zuccotti Park to make planned arrival during a (livestreamed) NYC GA.
Warning: Can't find named section OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2012Mar01 in topic Occupy.OccupySanDiegoEvents2012Feb
Warning: Can't find named section OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2012Mar11 in topic Occupy.OccupySanDiegoEvents2012Feb
Warning: Can't find named section OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2012May01 in topic Occupy.OccupySanDiegoEvents2012Feb
Warning: Can't find named section OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2012Jul14 in topic Occupy.OccupySanDiegoEvents2012Feb
- 29 Feb 2012 - (9a- 12p, 1:30p-4:30p) The Jury trial of Brother Hex continues at dept. 15 on the 2nd floor of the San Diego Superior Court. Supporters of Hex are encouraged to attend. Today defense attorney Laura Sheppard plans on making a motion for dismissal. Should the motion not be granted, defense evidence will take up most/all of today, and maybe into Thursday. Should you have any questions call Mitchell Sterling at 619-808-2199.
- 29 Feb 2012 - F29 - Shut Down the Corporations -- (OSD will be participating) Occupy Portland calls for a national day of non-violent civil disobedience targeting corporations who are members of ALEC, one of the most successful mechanisms that the 1% uses to control legislation. We are asking people around the country to choose members of ALEC in their home towns and SHUT DOWN BUSINESS AS USUAL - Occupy Riverside is having an action at the largest WalMart distribution center in the country at 4155 Wineville Ave, Mira Loma, CA 91752 (thanks, Chris M). Chris McKay will be driving up there with a full carload of pessengers; If you're also driving up and can offer rides, or would like a ride from someone else who is driving up, conact Chris at 619-241-6826. There will be a bus leaving from Fullerton at 4:30 AM as well…ask Chris for details. Riverside FB event page Occupy Riverside page
- 29 Feb 2012 - (6p-8p - please try to arrive 15 min. early) Occupying San Diego County: Celebrations and Mournings Workshop will be held at the Peace Resource Center. No charge, bring food to share if you would like. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. More info: Facebook event page
http://copswiki.org/Occupy/OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2012Feb23 <== click here to see the rest of the report.
To update your mailing list preferences, including unsubscribing, go to this address: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
Things YOU can do right now to help.
Have comments you want sent out? Send it to email@example.com
See All Occupy San Diego Announcements
to read all previous announcements about
- Where we meet, how to recover confiscated property from the San Diego Police Department, information for people were arrested, etc.
- OSD speaks at the Citizens Review Board of Police Practices on 1/24
Have you been mistreated by the Police? Have your First Amendment rights been violated? Have you been arrested for nothing, only to have the charges "unfiled" but held over your head for up to a year?
Call for Witnesses:
- First read this document: http://www.2momslaw.com/police_misconduct.pdf
- Make a Complaint: How to Make a Police Complaint
- Use this form: Complaint Form
- Forms also available in the lobby of City Hall.
- Citizen's Review Board member says we do NOT need names & badge numbers. File the complaint & it's up to SDPD to determine who the officer was (But it is better if we have them, of course).
- ALSO: By telephone or in writing to
- SDPD Internal Affairs Unit, 1401 Broadway, MS 709, San Diego CA 92101, (619) 531-2801
- Complaints made to the Citizens Review Board do not necessarily make it into the officers' personnel files
- Read this: Making Police Compliants That Stick
- Also, consider making a CLAIM against the city for your BOND money if charges were never filed. They have 45 days to reject the claim, then you file a lawsuit. It costs $400 to file unless you can claim low income.
Two occupiers are facing trial for criminal charges stemming from arrests at the Port Shut-down on December 12. Attorneys for Curtis Williams (aka Hex) and Bobby Uribe are looking for defense witnesses to dispute officer testimony and any photo or video footage of the arrests. If you witnessed Curtis's arrest, please contact attorney Laura Sheppard at firstname.lastname@example.org
. If you witnessed Bobby's arrest, please contact attorney Adriane Bracciale at email@example.com
- Making Police Compliants That Stick -- Important info from Adriane of NLG
- Anyone with information about arrests... Please, we need to continue to compile a complete list.
- IF YOU HAVE BEEN ARRESTED, DETAINED, OR CITED... Please complete the form here: Occupy Legal Info Request and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you can help compile the database from incoming emails, please let me know. It just takes a person who can carefully enter the data in to a web-based form.
- Arrests At Balboa Theater 2012 Jan 11 -- This topic created to track arrests and progress fighting felony arrests at Balboa Theater
- Two items relevant to OSD mission were placed on the agenda of the City of San Diego Rules Committee. This committee is yet another example of a "do-nothing" committee because they hardly even treated the proposals as serious.
- TELL POLICE HOW THEY ARE DOING: Police host monthly meetings in the community to get feedback from community members.
Lutz suing Civic Center Plaza building owners and operators Project Details
- Legal is asking: If you were at the South gate on the day of The Port Shut Down 12/12 and witnessed any of the arrests and are willing to testify...please contact HiAndrea on FB or email@example.com -- Tammy.
- More on this project... Including collected media, documents, photos, videos, etc.
- This is a VERY IMPORTANT project because we will directly engage wall street firms who own and operate the Civic Center Plaza office building.
- The National Lawyers Guild resources to protesters who have been arrested 619-500-4486 firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1st Circuit Rules Public Has Right to Videotape Police
- What to say to cops if you're busted. What you say and do can hurt you in court -- This is what I advise my clients to say when confronted by a law enforcement officer: "Officer, please understand I refuse to talk with you until I consult with my attorney. I also refuse to consent to any search of these premises or any other premises under my control, or in which I have a possessory, proprietary, or privacy interest, including my car, my body, or effects. I hereby demand to immediately be allowed the reasonable opportunity to obtain the advice of my attorney by telephone. from: http://layon.net/busted.php
- To check if someone is in jail check this website: http://apps.sdsheriff.net/wij/wij.aspx
- It usually takes about 6 hours for someone who has been arrested to pop up here. This site will tell you their charges, bail, etc. Jail's number is (619) 615-2700. The jail won't tell you much if anything that is not on the website. Please check this website before saying someone is in or out of jail to avoid confusion.
- FYI -- Penal Code 849.5. In any case in which a person is arrested and released and no accusatory pleading is filed charging him with an offense, any record of arrest of the person shall include a record of release. Thereafter, the arrest shall not be deemed an arrest, but a detention only.
- http://www.constitution.org/uslaw/defunlaw.htm -- Your rights when you are being arrested falsely.
LINKS AND REFERENCES
Links to sites/pages below that are no longer actively updated:
SEND THIS LINK AND TELL OTHERS TO SUBSCRIBE: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
If you have:
- lists of emails that should be subscribed
- events or notices that should be included
- needs or wants to request from our supporters
- specific requests for volunteers
SEND TO: email@example.com
and we'll work to get that information included in this daily update.
NOTICE TO MEDIA / DISCLAIMER |
Occupy San Diego is comprised of many people
with diverse opinions. This email does not provide
the official position of Occupy San Diego, but is
compiled for the use of supporters and occupiers
by a number of volunteers.
News Media that may subscribe to this email blast
should confirm all information from other sources.
THANK YOU FOR BEING INVOLVED.
Edited by Email Blast Team:
- Ray Lutz (Editor)
- Josephine P. (Media / Facebook)
- Jason Packman (Education Events)
- Chris West (Events)
- Benjamin Cossel (Photographs)
- Occupy San Diego project page in "Common" web: Occupy San Diego
- New Occupy Project (new web): Occupy Web -- we will be migrating to this new web.