Get this update in your email box on a daily basis. Subscribe below: |
%--'VARCACHE:save:This page was newly rebuilt at 26 Sep 2023 - 18:15 GMT. Rebuild the page anyway.
Click to open the web-version of the report.: http://copswiki.org/Occupy/OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2012Mar09?cover=print
2012-03-09 -- HIGHLIGHTS:
Read more below...
International Women's Day Event
San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station (SONGS)
"Remember Fukushima" Rally at San Onofre -- Update
We went back up to the rally site today -- Park Rangers have mowed and cut an area for the rally, about halfway between the front gate of the San Onofre State Park and the Power plant. We are not right next to the plant -- which is good -- but we still have a great view of the plant behind the speaker's platform.
We have good speakers lined up, occupella choir, plus Charlie Imes for gathering music before the event. Two residents from Fukushima area of Japan have been flown in for the event.
Two buses are full -- about 110 people right there. Plus there is almost unlimited parking in the state park. I'm guessing at least 500 people will show up. The site is super visible from the freeway, so that number of people, banners, signs, etc. will really make an impression. Media -- Orange County Register, North County Times, KPBS (Tom Fudge) are lined up... Two livestreamers have confirmed.
If you are not going on the buses, please try to CAR POOL -- $15 to part at the State Park, PER CAR. (Correct change appreciated!) Shuttle vans will be operating in the parking lot to bring people to the front from their parking places (which can be quite a ways down the road, sometimes as much as 2 miles away).
Suggest that you bring chairs or blankets to sit on. Rally area is, unfortunately, just dirt.
There are still some loose ends... maybe some OSDers will want to step forward to volunteer for this worthy event.
Legal Hearings, etc.
I think this is a good opportunity to outreach and invite new participants into the occupy movement.
- Could use some more security volunteers. Carol Jahnkow can train you.
- Stage manager -- to help line up people who will be speaking and performing.
- We did not arrange for any food on site, maybe there is something OSD can do in that category.
- Speaker for OSD. Would like to suggest that OSD appoint a speaker to give a short overview of OSD status, etc.
- I can bring tables, etc. if OSD needs something like that.
- Curtis Williams, aka Hex -- Jury said: Not guilty for blocking traffic and mistrial for delaying police officer! YEA! We win!! But, only half way...
- Adriane Bracciale says: -- PLEASE contact Curtis Williams's lawyer Laura Sheppard if you saw Curtis Williams get arrested: email@example.com. His trial resulted in a hung jury, 9:3 Guilty:NG, and the City Attorney gets another chance to try for a conviction with a new trial. The jury was not swayed by his defense witnesses because no one saw the moments leading up to the arrest or the initial detention itself.
- Benjamin Gasper's trial has been postponed to allow the defense to respond to new evidence brought forth by the prosecution. The newest court date is March 19th at 9:30 in department 50.
- Fish's trial will be on March 22nd.
- Bobby Uribe's trial starts 4/19. Need witnesses to Bobby Uribe's arrest at port protest.
- HELP: Need video or eye witnesses, anyone who: 1) took video of Mr. Dennison's arrest, especially from the beginning; 2) witnessed Mr. Dennison's arrest; 3) Knows anything about the cops in the photo; 4) was harassed or arrested by any of the cops in the photos. The cops are Button and Newton. The Sgt. is Depress, and Depree started it. Please assist. Mr. Dennison was arrested on 10-28-11 at the civil center.
- Bob Filner Says San Diego Needs To Make A Clean Sweep At City Hall He’s served on the San Diego Unified School Board and on the San Diego City Council. He was first elected to Congress in 1992 and has held that seat ever since, representing South San Diego and Imperial County. He’s served as chair of the House Veterans Affairs Committee and is now the ranking member. But Filner said he’s leaving that behind and running for mayor because he’s ready for a change.
- The Dire Limits of Health Care Carranza hadn’t been kicked out of school due to academic or disciplinary issues. Instead, on his 21st birthday, Medi-Cal cut his services, which included round-the-clock nursing care that he needs because he has muscular dystrophy.
- Susan Burkland - Women Occupy - Rally for Women's Rights Interview with Susan Burkland from Women Occupy at the Rally for Women's Rights on March 8, 2012, International Women's Day in front of the San Diego Federal Courthouse. Susan discusses the rally and issues affecting women today
- Uncle Sam: If It Ends in .Com, It’s .Seizable it says it has the right to seize any .com, .net and .org domain name because the companies that have the contracts to administer them are based on United States soil, according to Nicole Navas, an Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokeswoman.
- 55 Vermont Towns Affirm: 'Corporations Are Not People' With some results still yet to come in, reports confirm that at least 55 towns in Vermont approved municipal resolutions calling for an end to big money's dominance in US politics and calling for a Constitutional amendment to reverse the Supreme Court's 'Citizens United' decision that has opened the floodgates for secretive, unlimited campaign spending in US elections.
- Can OWS Bring Down Bank of America? Bank of America is almost totally bankrupt and is probably going to need a bailout sometime in the next year. It is already dependent on taxpayer money. This time around, there’s still time to prevent another bailout. The only way to prevent this from happening is through starting a massive public campaign to create a political climate in which an educated and empowered populace recognizes that this bank has already failed and must be broken apart. If we can pull this off, it would send a signal to the financial industry that it has to start being accountable to the public. From there, we would have a chance to change the whole system.
Unless otherwise noted, we meet daily as follows:
- 4 pm -- Finance Committee Meetings continue at the Activist Center, Mon. thru Fri. In the future, Saturday meetings may be resumed at Freedom Plaza or Children's Park.
- Each committee should send a representative to this meeting!
- 5:30 pm -- Committee meetings -- Each will schedule the days of their meetings.
- General Assemblies no longer meet daily. See listing below for upcoming GA meeting dates. When GAs fall on a Saturday, meetings will be at Balboa Park (near 6th and Laurel) at 2 PM
- Weekly Saturday meetings will also be held at 2pm at Freedom Plaza.
- GAs require 20 participants for a quorum.
- Committee/Working-Group members: Please update any changes or additions as desired to osd-feedback (at) citizensoversight (dot) org. Also Facilitation maintains a website at http://osdfacilitation.wordpress.com/.
. But mark your calendars now for these!
NEXT 7 DAYS
- (This list is automatically generated from the topic Occupy.Occupy San Diego Events). Scroll down the topic almost to the bottom or look at the Calendar for more events, not within the next 7 days.
10 Mar 2012 - Sat
- (9a-12p) San Diego Public Teachers have organized a march, “Stand Up and Walk for Education” to begin in Balboa Park (Presidents Way and Park Blvd) on to the State Building on Front St. ANYONE concerned about quality public education in California should try to come out to proactively protest any upcoming cuts to the very bedrock and job creation engine of our future – our schools. Please help spread the word! Lots more info on the Facebook event page.
- (12:30p) Today’s Labor Solidarity meeting at Freedom Plaza will be dedicated to planning an April 6th action protesting state austerity cuts on behalf of Raul Carranza and others also affected at the Chula Vista MediCal office. Raul has muscular dystrophy and requires 24/7 nursing care, but has been denied assistance by the state’s program director even though a judge ruled he is eligible.
- (6p-9p) Fukushima Remembered, presented by SanClementeGreen, an evening in remembrance of the eve of the anniversary of the disaster in Japan, with guest speakers Kyoko Sugasawa and Kyle Thiermann, following a screening of the documentary “Fukishima, Never Again”, at the San Clemente Community Center
- (12p-2p) OccupYrCorner at one of the busiest corners in the city on a busy shopping day, at Balboa and Genesee. Check with Anita Simons on Facebook or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org for links to print info handouts, and bring signs.
- (1p) Women Occupy SD w/potluck at Childrens Park
- (1p) Education committee meets at Childrens Park
- (7p) "We the People" meets at the foot of Brighton Ave. at Ocean Beach For details ask Hex.
- (1p-4p) Occupy Encinitas - 1 PM rally at the corner of Encinitas Blvd. and Coast Highway 101 followed by general assembly at 2:30 PM at Cottonwood Creek Park, corner of Encinitas Blvd. and Vulcan Ave. (GA meets at Leucadia Pizzeria if raining) More info: Facebook or Website
11 Mar 2012 - Sun
- (Gather 12p) Fukushima Remembered -- Protest/Rally at San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station (SONGS) -- OSD ENDORSED -- On the one-year anniversary of the Fukushima disaster that is still ongoing, we will commemorate the disaster and also protest continued use of dangerous and costly nuclear reactors and push for clean renewable energy. Transportation and other details: M 11 San Onofre Protest and Rally Seats on two buses already full. If you are driving and have a seat or if you need a ride, please stop by bus stops to see who needs a ride. Balboa Park (Park Ave. and President's way, east side of Park) at 9:30am to 10am. Buses load at 10am and depart at 10:30 at Balboa Park, 11:30 at Oceanside Transit Center. Speakers include: Two guests flown in from Fukushima area of Japan; Mimi Kennedy, actress in Academy Award winning "Midnight in Paris" and Chair, Progressive Democrats of America; Ace Hoffman, nuclear industry expert, Gary Headrick, San Clemente Activist; Kyle Thiermann, Surfing pro and environmentalist; Cori Schumacher, Surfing Champ; Torgen Johnson, Urban Planner; Dave Patterson, Vets for Peace; Patti Davis, California Nuclear Initiative. Entertainment by Charlie Imes and also the Occupella Choir. Ray Lutz will MC.
- (10a-1p) March and rally from Swamis Seaside Park up South Coast Highway on the one-year anniversary of the Fukushima disaster. For more info see FB Page or call 619) 813-3113
- (8a-8p) InterOccupy SoCal meetup at MacArthur Park at 2230 West 6th Street in L.A., tentative schedule at OLA Facebook page
12 Mar 2012 - Mon
13 Mar 2012 - Tue
- (12p) National Week of Bank Protest, March 13th through the 16th is OccupyOurHomes week, demanding that banks negotiate loan terms with homeowners rather than giving them a boot out the door, boarding 'em up, and letting the homes fall into disrepair, unduly affecting surrounding neighborhoods. "OSD CP" has endorsed these actions. Action today will be at Chase Bank at 100 Broadway on CEO Jamie Dimon's 56th birthday. Then on Wednesday US Bank, Thursday B of A, and Friday Wells Fargo.
- (6p-9p) Women's Picket at Darrel Issa Event - Gateway Drive and Shadowridge Drive, Vista CA FB Event
- (7p-9p) San Diego Chapter of Americans for Safe Access meets at La Jolla Brewhouse
14 Mar 2012 - Wed
- (12p) National Week of Bank Protest continues, the action today at U.S. Bank at 600 West Broadway. Meet up at Freedom Plaza. Let's keep the momentum going all week! Bring signs and fellow Occupiers!
- (6p-8p) Canvass For a Cause will have a March Field Committee Meeting to plan future actions including:
--* Safe Kids Project - FAIR & Teach-In on LGBTQ Trafficking in San Diego
--* Womyn's Reproductive Rights & Womyn's Herstory Month
--* Cannabis Reform and more.
- (2p) Occupy San Diego City College meets Wednesdays at Gorton Quad
15 Mar 2012 - Thu
- (11a) National Week of Bank Protest continues. Meet for rally/speakers/entertainment at Freedom Plaza downtown. Come help us keep pressure on local and federal government to help people out of this financial crisis! ACCE has a new bill, the Property Value Protection bill they have presented to City Council as something we can do on a local level to help people out of their foreclosure crisis. This would hold bankers' feet to the fire by forcing them to maintain any properties that they have chosen to foreclose on. ACCE will talk about what we can do as well as Bryan Pease, who is running for City Council. More speakers TBD. Come support or tell your story! Also…performance by the Occupellas!!..."Bank Robbery" Guerilla Theatre!!! For bank action after the rally get up to the minute info from the event's FB Event page.
- (6p) South Bay Chapter of Americans for Safe Access (ASA) meets at 1233 Palm Ave. in Imperial Beach.
- (12p) San Diego Reinvestment Task Force at 202 C Street, 12th Floor Hearing Room, San Diego, CA 92101
16 Mar 2012 - Fri
Warning: Can't find named section OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2012May01 in topic Occupy.OccupySanDiegoEvents2012Mar
Warning: Can't find named section OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2012Jul14 in topic Occupy.OccupySanDiegoEvents2012Mar
- (12p) National Week of Bank Protest continues, the action today at Wells Fargo at 401 B Street.
- (4-6p) Protest of the "Culture of Life crisis pregnancy center" at Washington and 5th. Crisis Pregnancy Centers (CPCs) exist to keep women from having a choice to have an abortion. In many instances, they misinform and intimidate women to achieve their goal. FB Event
- (6:30p) In preparation for Saturday's neighborhood council meeting, Occupier Chris McKay will host an evening showing of the documentary film "WAL-MART: The High Cost of Low Price", at the corner of Imperial Ave and 21st St. Check Facebook page for updates.
http://copswiki.org/Occupy/OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2012Mar09 <== click here to see the rest of the report.
To update your mailing list preferences, including unsubscribing, go to this address: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
Things YOU can do right now to help.
Have comments you want sent out? Send it to email@example.com
See All Occupy San Diego Announcements
to read all previous announcements about
- Where we meet, how to recover confiscated property from the San Diego Police Department, information for people were arrested, etc.
- OSD speaks at the Citizens Review Board of Police Practices on 1/24
Have you been mistreated by the Police? Have your First Amendment rights been violated? Have you been arrested for nothing, only to have the charges "unfiled" but held over your head for up to a year?
- First read this document: http://www.2momslaw.com/police_misconduct.pdf
- Make a Complaint: How to Make a Police Complaint
- Use this form: Complaint Form
- Forms also available in the lobby of City Hall.
- Citizen's Review Board member says we do NOT need names & badge numbers. File the complaint & it's up to SDPD to determine who the officer was (But it is better if we have them, of course).
- ALSO: By telephone or in writing to
- SDPD Internal Affairs Unit, 1401 Broadway, MS 709, San Diego CA 92101, (619) 531-2801
- Complaints made to the Citizens Review Board do not necessarily make it into the officers' personnel files
- Read this: Making Police Compliants That Stick
- Also, consider making a CLAIM against the city for your BOND money if charges were never filed. They have 45 days to reject the claim, then you file a lawsuit. It costs $400 to file unless you can claim low income.
Lutz suing Civic Center Plaza building owners and operators Project Details
- TELL POLICE HOW THEY ARE DOING: Police host monthly meetings in the community to get feedback from community members.
- More on this project... Including collected media, documents, photos, videos, etc.
- This is a VERY IMPORTANT project because we will directly engage wall street firms who own and operate the Civic Center Plaza office building.
- The National Lawyers Guild resources to protesters who have been arrested 619-500-4486 firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1st Circuit Rules Public Has Right to Videotape Police
- What to say to cops if you're busted. What you say and do can hurt you in court -- This is what I advise my clients to say when confronted by a law enforcement officer: "Officer, please understand I refuse to talk with you until I consult with my attorney. I also refuse to consent to any search of these premises or any other premises under my control, or in which I have a possessory, proprietary, or privacy interest, including my car, my body, or effects. I hereby demand to immediately be allowed the reasonable opportunity to obtain the advice of my attorney by telephone. from: http://layon.net/busted.php
- To check if someone is in jail check this website: http://apps.sdsheriff.net/wij/wij.aspx
- It usually takes about 6 hours for someone who has been arrested to pop up here. This site will tell you their charges, bail, etc. Jail's number is (619) 615-2700. The jail won't tell you much if anything that is not on the website. Please check this website before saying someone is in or out of jail to avoid confusion.
- FYI -- Penal Code 849.5. In any case in which a person is arrested and released and no accusatory pleading is filed charging him with an offense, any record of arrest of the person shall include a record of release. Thereafter, the arrest shall not be deemed an arrest, but a detention only.
- http://www.constitution.org/uslaw/defunlaw.htm -- Your rights when you are being arrested falsely.
LINKS AND REFERENCES
Links to sites/pages below that are no longer actively updated:
SEND THIS LINK AND TELL OTHERS TO SUBSCRIBE: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
If you have:
- lists of emails that should be subscribed
- events or notices that should be included
- needs or wants to request from our supporters
- specific requests for volunteers
SEND TO: email@example.com
and we'll work to get that information included in this daily update.
NOTICE TO MEDIA / DISCLAIMER |
Occupy San Diego is comprised of many people
with diverse opinions. This email does not provide
the official position of Occupy San Diego, but is
compiled for the use of supporters and occupiers
by a number of volunteers.
News Media that may subscribe to this email blast
should confirm all information from other sources.
THANK YOU FOR BEING INVOLVED.
Edited by Email Blast Team:
- Ray Lutz (Editor)
- Josephine P. (Media / Facebook)
- Chris West (Events)
- Occupy San Diego project page in "Common" web: Occupy San Diego
- New Occupy Project (new web): Occupy Web -- we will be migrating to this new web.