Get this update in your email box on a daily basis. Subscribe below: |
%--'VARCACHE:save:This page was newly rebuilt at 21 Sep 2023 - 21:09 GMT. Rebuild the page anyway.
Click to open the web-version of the report.: http://copswiki.org/Occupy/OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2012Mar12?cover=print
2012-03-12 -- HIGHLIGHTS:
12 Mar 2012 - Mon
Read more below...
San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station (SONGS)
Japanese Survivors speak at the San Onofre Protest on 3/11. Note Occupy Media box has been turned into a lectern-on-wheels!
Legal Hearings, etc.
- Had a great turnout -- about 300 people, which was about all the cleared area could hold. Guests from Fukushima area of Japan were well covered by media, and we had a great lineup of speakers. The whole event ended pretty much on time.
- Video will up uploaded soon. Thank you to Jason Snyder for livestreaming (and Chris McKay/Fish too, right?)
- Thank you especially to Marcia Patt for coordinating the bus transportation to the event, Carol Jahnkow and the Peace Resource Center for underwriting it, and Gene Stone of San Clemente for arranging for the Japanese visitors, directional signs, and native American blessings.
- Park Rangers and Law Enforcement, thank you too, even though the number of officers on duty was far more than necessary, as usual. (Yes, I know you read this too.)
- Thank you to Charlie Imes and Reverend Stickman for their pre-event live entertainment, and the Occupella Chorus for the mid-event entertainment.
- Thank you to all the other speakers: Ace Hoffman, Mimi Kennedy, Gary Headrick, Cory Schumacher, Gene Stone, Kent Nesplay, Torgen Johnson, Dave Patterson, Patti Davis, Jerry Tetelman, and Dick Eiden.
- Mark your calendars for April 28 for possible follow-on event to commemorate the anniversary of Chernobyl
- If they try to restart the plant, please be ready for immediate action. This plant must never restart!
- 170 page database of nuclear incidents: http://scott-ludlam.greensmps.org.au/sites/default/files/ltfs-full.pdf
- Hundreds Protest Near San Onofre Against Nuclear Energy -- Orange County Register
- Rally at San Onofre Draws Hundreds -- Union Tribune
- Anti-Nuclear Protest took place at San Onofre Plant -- CBS News Video
- Curtis Williams, aka Hex -- Jury said: Not guilty for blocking traffic and mistrial for delaying police officer! YEA! We win!!
- Attorney Laura Sheppard informs us that: The prosecution declined to re-try this case, and has dismissed it. Fight those illegal arrests, we CAN WIN!!" There will be NO retrial!!!
Yay!!! Very nice to score a win for our side, and Thank You to Laura Sheppard for doing a superior job, and Thank You to Brother Hexagon for fighting against injustice all the way through his trial!!!
- Benjamin Gasper's trial has been postponed to allow the defense to respond to new evidence brought forth by the prosecution. The newest court date is March 19th at 9:30 in department 50.
- Fish's trial will be on March 22nd.
- Bobby Uribe's trial starts 4/19. Need witnesses to Bobby Uribe's arrest at port protest.
- HELP: Need video or eye witnesses, anyone who: 1) took video of Mr. Dennison's arrest, especially from the beginning; 2) witnessed Mr. Dennison's arrest; 3) Knows anything about the cops in the photo; 4) was harassed or arrested by any of the cops in the photos. The cops are Button and Newton. The Sgt. is Depress, and Depree started it. Please assist. Mr. Dennison was arrested on 10-28-11 at the civil center.
- Anti-nuclear protest took place at San Onofre Plant Back here in the US, anti-nuclear protestors made their voices heard at the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant. They say the plant is not equipped to handle a large earthquake and that we would be facing a disaster like the one in Japan if one were to strike. (Video)
- Occupiers set up living room in Bank of America lobby A crew of occupiers makes a home of a Bank of America lobby with a couch, a coffee table, a rug and a potted plant. "Bank of America took our homes so we though we'd move in here!" Join them March 15 as America turns the tables on the nation's largest bank!
- General Assemblies no longer meet daily. See listing below for upcoming GA meeting dates. When GAs fall on a Saturday, meetings will be at Balboa Park (near 6th and Laurel) at either 2 or 3 PM (check Calendar for times).
- Weekly Saturday meetings will also be held at 2 PM at Freedom Plaza.
- GAs require 20 participants for a quorum.
- Committee/Working-Group members: Please update any changes or additions as desired to osd-feedback (at) citizensoversight (dot) org.
- Occupy San Diego maintains a website with a calendar, also committee and events forums, and more at http://sandiegooccupy.org/.
- See Event list (below) and Occupy San Diego Calendar 2 for all upcoming events.
. But mark your calendars now for these!
NEXT 7 DAYS
- (This list is automatically generated from the topic Occupy.Occupy San Diego Events). Scroll down the topic almost to the bottom or look at the Calendar for more events, not within the next 7 days.
12 Mar 2012 - Mon
13 Mar 2012 - Tue
- (12p) National Week of Bank Protest, March 13th through the 16th is OccupyOurHomes week, demanding that banks negotiate loan terms with homeowners rather than giving them a boot out the door, boarding 'em up, and letting the homes fall into disrepair, unduly affecting surrounding neighborhoods. "OSD CP" has endorsed these actions. Action today will be at Chase Bank at 100 Broadway on CEO Jamie Dimon's 56th birthday. Then on Wednesday US Bank, Thursday B of A, and Friday Wells Fargo.
- (6p-9p) Women's Picket at Darrel Issa Event - Gateway Drive and Shadowridge Drive, Vista CA FB Event
- (7p-9p) San Diego Chapter of Americans for Safe Access meets at La Jolla Brewhouse
14 Mar 2012 - Wed
- (12p) National Week of Bank Protest continues, the action today at U.S. Bank at 600 West Broadway. Meet up at Freedom Plaza. Let's keep the momentum going all week! Bring signs and fellow Occupiers!
- (6p-8p) Canvass For a Cause will have a March Field Committee Meeting to plan future actions including:
--* Safe Kids Project - FAIR & Teach-In on LGBTQ Trafficking in San Diego
--* Womyn's Reproductive Rights & Womyn's Herstory Month
--* Cannabis Reform and more.
- (2p) Occupy San Diego City College meets Wednesdays at Gorton Quad
15 Mar 2012 - Thu
- (11a) National Week of Bank Protest continues. Meet for rally/speakers/entertainment at Freedom Plaza downtown. Come help us keep pressure on local and federal government to help people out of this financial crisis! ACCE has a new bill, the Property Value Protection bill they have presented to City Council as something we can do on a local level to help people out of their foreclosure crisis. This would hold bankers' feet to the fire by forcing them to maintain any properties that they have chosen to foreclose on. ACCE will talk about what we can do as well as Bryan Pease, who is running for City Council. More speakers TBD. Come support or tell your story! Also…performance by the Occupellas!!..."Bank Robbery" Guerilla Theatre!!! For bank action after the rally get up to the minute info from the event's FB Event page.
- (6p) South Bay Chapter of Americans for Safe Access (ASA) meets at 1233 Palm Ave. in Imperial Beach.
- (12p) San Diego Reinvestment Task Force at 202 C Street, 12th Floor Hearing Room, San Diego, CA 92101
16 Mar 2012 - Fri
- (12p) National Week of Bank Protest continues, the action today at Wells Fargo at 401 B Street.
- (4-6p) Protest of the "Culture of Life crisis pregnancy center" at Washington and 5th. Crisis Pregnancy Centers (CPCs) exist to keep women from having a choice to have an abortion. In many instances, they misinform and intimidate women to achieve their goal. FB Event
- (6:30p) In preparation for Saturday's neighborhood council meeting, Occupier Chris McKay will host an evening showing of the documentary film "WAL-MART: The High Cost of Low Price", at the corner of Imperial Ave and 21st St. Check Facebook page for updates.
17 Mar 2012 - Sat
- (10a) - (new location) - Stop Wal-Mart from moving into Sherman Heights, by attending and voicing your views at the Sherman/Logan Neighborhood Council Meeting at Sherman Elementary School at J and 22nd San Diego.
- (12:30p) - Labor Solidarity Committee’s meeting today at Freedom Plaza will be the Second Multi-Organization Planning Meeting for May Day 2012
- (4p) BBQ, followed by GA at Balboa Park (northeast of 6th and Laurel). Join us for United GA. Bring your thoughts and ideas regarding Monsanto. Bring a dish of food if you can. Munchies always appreciated.
- (12p-2p) OccupYrCorner at one of the busiest corners in the city on a busy shopping day, at Balboa and Genesee. Check with Anita Simons on Facebook or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org for links to print info handouts, and bring signs.
- (1p) Women Occupy SD w/potluck at Childrens Park
- (1p) Education committee meets at Childrens Park
- (7p) "We the People" meets at the foot of Brighton Ave. at Ocean Beach For details ask Hex.
- (1p-4p) Occupy Encinitas - 1 PM rally at the corner of Encinitas Blvd. and Coast Highway 101 followed by general assembly at 2:30 PM at Cottonwood Creek Park, corner of Encinitas Blvd. and Vulcan Ave. (GA meets at Leucadia Pizzeria if raining) More info: Facebook or Website
19 Mar 2012 - Mon
Warning: Can't find named section OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2012May01 in topic Occupy.OccupySanDiegoEvents2012Mar
Warning: Can't find named section OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2012Jul14 in topic Occupy.OccupySanDiegoEvents2012Mar
- Jury trial of Benjamin Gasper: the parties have agreed to continue the case so there will be no significant proceedings Monday, March 19, and a new date for the trial will be set then.. More info at the Facebook event page at Benjamin Gasper - Jury Trial.
- (5:30p-9p) Beyond Money (& the Future of Civilization) - Activist San Diego and Women Occupy San Diego host Tom Greco, author of "The End of Money and the Future of Civilization". Tom is director of the Community Information Resource Center, a nonprofit consulting organization and networking hub dedicated to economic equity, social justice and community improvement, specializing in community currency and mutual credit design, development and implementation.
- (7p) Activist San Diego meets at the Joyce Beers Center in Hillcrest
- (6p) Facilitation Committee meets at Childrens Park
http://copswiki.org/Occupy/OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2012Mar12 <== click here to see the rest of the report.
To update your mailing list preferences, including unsubscribing, go to this address: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
Things YOU can do right now to help.
Have comments you want sent out? Send it to email@example.com
See All Occupy San Diego Announcements
to read all previous announcements about
- Where we meet, how to recover confiscated property from the San Diego Police Department, information for people were arrested, etc.
- OSD speaks at the Citizens Review Board of Police Practices on 1/24
Have you been mistreated by the Police? Have your First Amendment rights been violated? Have you been arrested for nothing, only to have the charges "unfiled" but held over your head for up to a year?
- First read this document: http://www.2momslaw.com/police_misconduct.pdf
- Make a Complaint: How to Make a Police Complaint
- Use this form: Complaint Form
- Forms also available in the lobby of City Hall.
- Citizen's Review Board member says we do NOT need names & badge numbers. File the complaint & it's up to SDPD to determine who the officer was (But it is better if we have them, of course).
- ALSO: By telephone or in writing to
- SDPD Internal Affairs Unit, 1401 Broadway, MS 709, San Diego CA 92101, (619) 531-2801
- Complaints made to the Citizens Review Board do not necessarily make it into the officers' personnel files
- Read this: Making Police Compliants That Stick
- Also, consider making a CLAIM against the city for your BOND money if charges were never filed. They have 45 days to reject the claim, then you file a lawsuit. It costs $400 to file unless you can claim low income.
Lutz suing Civic Center Plaza building owners and operators Project Details
- TELL POLICE HOW THEY ARE DOING: Police host monthly meetings in the community to get feedback from community members.
- More on this project... Including collected media, documents, photos, videos, etc.
- This is a VERY IMPORTANT project because we will directly engage wall street firms who own and operate the Civic Center Plaza office building.
- The National Lawyers Guild resources to protesters who have been arrested 619-500-4486 firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1st Circuit Rules Public Has Right to Videotape Police
- What to say to cops if you're busted. What you say and do can hurt you in court -- This is what I advise my clients to say when confronted by a law enforcement officer: "Officer, please understand I refuse to talk with you until I consult with my attorney. I also refuse to consent to any search of these premises or any other premises under my control, or in which I have a possessory, proprietary, or privacy interest, including my car, my body, or effects. I hereby demand to immediately be allowed the reasonable opportunity to obtain the advice of my attorney by telephone. from: http://layon.net/busted.php
- To check if someone is in jail check this website: http://apps.sdsheriff.net/wij/wij.aspx
- It usually takes about 6 hours for someone who has been arrested to pop up here. This site will tell you their charges, bail, etc. Jail's number is (619) 615-2700. The jail won't tell you much if anything that is not on the website. Please check this website before saying someone is in or out of jail to avoid confusion.
- FYI -- Penal Code 849.5. In any case in which a person is arrested and released and no accusatory pleading is filed charging him with an offense, any record of arrest of the person shall include a record of release. Thereafter, the arrest shall not be deemed an arrest, but a detention only.
- http://www.constitution.org/uslaw/defunlaw.htm -- Your rights when you are being arrested falsely.
LINKS AND REFERENCES
Links to sites/pages below that are no longer actively updated:
SEND THIS LINK AND TELL OTHERS TO SUBSCRIBE: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
If you have:
- lists of emails that should be subscribed
- events or notices that should be included
- needs or wants to request from our supporters
- specific requests for volunteers
SEND TO: email@example.com
and we'll work to get that information included in this daily update.
NOTICE TO MEDIA / DISCLAIMER |
Occupy San Diego is comprised of many people
with diverse opinions. This email does not provide
the official position of Occupy San Diego, but is
compiled for the use of supporters and occupiers
by a number of volunteers.
News Media that may subscribe to this email blast
should confirm all information from other sources.
THANK YOU FOR BEING INVOLVED.
Edited by Email Blast Team:
- Ray Lutz (Editor)
- Josephine P. (Media / Facebook)
- Chris West (Events)
- Occupy San Diego project page in "Common" web: Occupy San Diego
- New Occupy Project (new web): Occupy Web -- we will be migrating to this new web.