Get this update in your email box on a daily basis. Subscribe below: |
%--'VARCACHE:save:This page was newly rebuilt at 21 Sep 2023 - 22:12 GMT. Rebuild the page anyway.
Click to open the web-version of the report.: http://copswiki.org/Occupy/OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2012Mar18?cover=print
2012-03-18 -- HIGHLIGHTS:
Read more below...
Power of the Net
Stop SONGS (San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station = SONGS)
New Facebook page for this project Click to like it!
Occupy Walk may take Route 66 all the way to Chicago. 99% on Route 66!
Legal Hearings, etc.
- Next anti-nuke rally slated for April 28 (Sat) to commemorate Chernobyl disaster of 1986-04-26. Can you help us make this event even larger than the last one?
- New Facebook page: http://www.Facebook.com/ShutSongs <-- Please like it!
- See post-event notes here: M 11 San Onofre Protest And Rally
- Full video of the rally: Fukushima Remembered (2 parts)
- Review of livestream showed 0.015 mR/hr which is about 1.31 mSv/Yr. The legal maximum ABOVE BACKGROUND is 1mSv/yr. So depending on what the background radiation is, this is right at or perhaps slightly over the legal maximum. The typical background radiation is about 3mSv/yr. Depends on how the device is calibrated, that is, perhaps the background is already zeroed out.
- COPS will probably request documentation of surveys from the plant that are required by law regarding radiation levels around the plant.
- The NRC sent a task team to inspect the San Onofre reactors regarding the blown steam generator tubes. Protestors will greet this team on Monday, the best we can figure. Media will be there anyway to cover the arrival of this inspection team.
- After the NRC completes their inspections, they will be having a PUBLIC MEETING! Time/date and location not announced yet. This is a all-hands-on-deck event that can be the end of SONGS. We have to be ready to deploy to this public meeting.
- It's getting worse for SONGS... another 4 tubes blew in the next test. That means they have a serious problem and the reactors will not be restarted for at least months. WE CAN MAKE IT PERMANENT!
- Benjamin Gasper's trial: the parties have agreed to continue the case so there will be no significant proceedings Monday, March 19, and a new date for the trial will be set then.
- Fish's trial will be on March 22nd.
- Bobby Uribe's trial starts 4/19. Need witnesses to Bobby Uribe's arrest at port protest
- HELP: Need video or eye witnesses, anyone who: 1) took video of Mr. Dennison's arrest, especially from the beginning; 2) witnessed Mr. Dennison's arrest; 3) Knows anything about the cops in the photo; 4) was harassed or arrested by any of the cops in the photos. The cops are Button and Newton. The Sgt. is Depress, and Depree started it. Please assist. Mr. Dennison was arrested on 10-28-11 at the civil center.
2012 Mar 18
- Free Speech/Protesting Is Now A Felony Punishable By Jail The First Amendment to the Constitution prohibits the government from infringing upon the freedom of speech, the freedom of association and the freedom to petition the government for a redress of grievances. Speech is language and other forms of expression; and association and petition connote physical presence in reasonable proximity to those of like mind and to government officials, so as to make your opinions known to them.
- Occupy Wall Street moving into phase two? Over the weekend the Occupy Wall Street movement will turn six months old. The movement has had many different messages, but all protesters agree that something in American needs to change. Although the movement has no real leader many individuals have stood out to help promote the ideas of Occupy. One of this is Jesse La Greca, activist and writer for Daily Kos, he joins us to update us on the movement.
- General Assemblies no longer meet daily. See listing below for upcoming GA meeting dates. When GAs fall on a Saturday, meetings will be at Redwood Circle in Balboa Park (about two blocks northeast of 6th and Laurel) afternoons (check Calendar for times).
- Weekly Saturday meetings will also be held at 2 PM at Freedom Plaza.
- GAs require 20 participants for a quorum.
- Committee/Working-Group members: Please update any changes or additions as desired to osd-feedback (at) citizensoversight (dot) org.
- Occupy San Diego maintains a website with a calendar, also committee and events forums, and more at http://sandiegooccupy.org/.
- See Event list (below) and Occupy San Diego Calendar 2 for all upcoming events.
. But mark your calendars now for these!
NEXT 7 DAYS
- (This list is automatically generated from the topic Occupy.Occupy San Diego Events). Scroll down the topic almost to the bottom or look at the Calendar for more events, not within the next 7 days.
19 Mar 2012 - Mon
- Jury trial of Benjamin Gasper: the parties have agreed to continue the case so there will be no significant proceedings Monday, March 19, and a new date for the trial will be set then.. More info at the Facebook event page at Benjamin Gasper - Jury Trial.
- (5:30p-9p) Beyond Money (& the Future of Civilization) - Activist San Diego and Women Occupy San Diego host Tom Greco, author of "The End of Money and the Future of Civilization". Tom is director of the Community Information Resource Center, a nonprofit consulting organization and networking hub dedicated to economic equity, social justice and community improvement, specializing in community currency and mutual credit design, development and implementation.
- (7p) Activist San Diego meets at the Joyce Beers Center in Hillcrest
- (6p) Facilitation Committee meets at Childrens Park
20 Mar 2012 - Tue
- (10a) San Diego City Council Meeting (includes Public Comment) at 202 "C" St (12th floor), San Diego, CA 92101
- (10a) San Diego City Council Meeting (includes Public Comment) at 202 "C" St (12th floor), San Diego, CA 92101
- (1pm) Outside City Council 202 C Street -- The Mayor and his rich downtown cronies are at it once again, pushing a new deal at the 11th hour to give rich hoteliers the keys to the Convention Center and let them loot it for their own profit. If the Mayor and his allies pull this off, it's a direct threat to hundreds of union jobs at the Convention Center and will stifle the voices of all the workers who have a direct interest in the Convention Center. The City Council has a chance to stop this brazen giveaway, and we're going to make sure they hear from the taxpayers who may be on the hook for the giant bill while the profits go to hoteliers. Add your voice!
21 Mar 2012 - Wed
- (2p) Occupy San Diego City College meets Wednesdays at Gorton Quad
22 Mar 2012 - Thu
- (8:15a) Fish's trial starts, at the SD County Courthouse. Public might not be able to enter until the afternoon. See FB Event for updates.
- (5p) Goldman-Sachs partnering with Cogentrix have plans to spoil some of Santee's undeveloped environs with a natural gas power plant which will spew an unrealistically lowballed estimate of 50 tons of carbon per year close to schools and more. Opposed? Concerned? Come to the CEC Public meeting at Mission Trails Park Visitors Center. There will only be room for 200 people so plan to arrive early. See Facebook Event page for more.
- (6p-8p) A family-friendly Spaghetti "Fun-Raiser" for Women Occupy San Diego will be held at The Big Kitchen on 3003 Grape St. Entertainment by the Occupella Chorus! $10 - $20 sliding scale, children $5. See Facebook Event page.
23 Mar 2012 - Fri
- (9a) Fish's trial continues. Jury selection in the morning, likely opening arguments in the afternoon (1:30p) Please come and support Fish, observers in the courtroom send a message to the jury. At the SD County Courthouse. Public might not be able to enter until the afternoon. See FB Event for updates.
24 Mar 2012 - Sat
- (10:30a-12p) CANCELLED! Sue Zesky spoke with the GM of the dealership and they have agreed to stop advertising on Rush Limbaugh's show. REJECT RUSH - RESPECT WOMEN - Picket Rush Limbaugh sponsor Toyota Carlsbad just off the Cannon Road offramp of I-5.
- (3p-7p) No War on Iran! at Childrens Park - following Norwuz March 21st which is celebrated as a new year in Iran.
- (12p-2p) OccupYrCorner at one of the busiest corners in the city on a busy shopping day, at Balboa and Genesee. Check with Anita Simons on Facebook or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org for links to print info handouts, and bring signs.
- (1p) Women Occupy SD w/potluck at Childrens Park
- (1p) Education committee meets at Childrens Park
- (7p) "We the People" meets at the foot of Brighton Ave. at Ocean Beach For details ask Hex.
- (1p-4p) Occupy Encinitas - 1 PM rally at the corner of Encinitas Blvd. and Coast Highway 101 followed by general assembly at 2:30 PM at Cottonwood Creek Park, corner of Encinitas Blvd. and Vulcan Ave. (GA meets at Leucadia Pizzeria if raining) More info: Facebook or Website
25 Mar 2012 - Sun
- (2p) Trayvon Martin, who was unarmed, was shot and killed for no reason and the murderer walks free. San Diego must come together and rally support for Trayvon Martin’s parents, who are calling for (assailant) George Zimmerman’s arrest and prosecution. No parent should ever go through this tragedy. Meet for a rally in City Heights at Landis Park between the libary and rec. center at 4380 Landis near Fairmount and Wightman. FB event page
- (2p-3p) - Meditation Teach-in at Childrens Park, by Nick Neild.
- (7pm) Screening the film "Fukushima Never Again" with discussion following at Equality Hall, 1159 6th Ave, San Diego, CA 92101, (corner of 6th and B) in the basement of the Southern Hotel. Free street parking, esp. up 6th Ave near Balboa Park. FREE (This is a new venue that is available for progressive events, so please come and check it out!)
- 01 May 2012 - MAY DAY SAN DIEGO - A Day Without the 99% - International Workers Day by Occupy Labor Solidarity - also check Occupy Labor Solidarity's event page or FB Event page. Some of the events will run concurrently.
- 01 May 2012 - (11a) City College Rally just east of Park Blvd. and A Street, then march to Civic Center Plaza.
- 01 May 2012 - (12p) Rally at Civic Center Plaza - speakers to include workers from various occupations (small 'o'), then a march will start at Civic Center, go through downtown and end at the proposed Wal-Mart site in Sherman Heights between 21st and 22nd on Imperial Ave sometime after 2 PM.
- 01 May 2012 - (2p-4p) Occupy San Diego Events at Civic Center Plaza. Also actions are planned in the financial district just a couple of blocks to the east at the various banks (B of A, Wells Fargo on B Street and at Citibank near Horton Plaza).
- 01 May 2012 - (3:30p-6p) SDEA Rally at Roosevelt Middle School and March to Board Meeting - NOT AN OLS EVENT, This event for SDEA runs concurrently with the other events listed here. SDEA: The event begins at 3:30 at Roosevelt Middle School. Work at a late-start school? If you can’t make it to Roosevelt before the march takes off at 4:15, join the march at the Education Center on Normal Street from 4:45 – 5:15 before it loops back to Roosevelt.
- 01 May 2012 - (4p-6p) OSD Labor Solidarity Rally at Civic Center and March to Chicano Park around 6 PM to join the event in progress at Chicano Park. There will be many speakers at Civic Center, representing organized and non-organized groups, including hotel workers, in-home care providers, representatives from student groups, LGBT activists on achieving equality in the workplace, and more.
- 01 May 2012 - (5:30p) Chicano Park Festival
- 01 May 2012 - (6p) March to and direct action at the Westin Hotel near Horton Plaza protesting management's lack of willingness to negotiate a new contract with the hotel workers there.
- 01 May 2012 - (7p) GA at Freedom Plaza
- Bobby Uribe's court date has been postponed until June11th.
http://copswiki.org/Occupy/OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2012Mar18 <== click here to see the rest of the report.
To update your mailing list preferences, including unsubscribing, go to this address: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
Things YOU can do right now to help.
I think a complaint to the Citizens Review Board of Police Practices CRBOPP is in order!
See All Occupy San Diego Announcements
to read all previous announcements about
- Where we meet, how to recover confiscated property from the San Diego Police Department, information for people were arrested, etc.
- OSD speaks at the Citizens Review Board of Police Practices on 1/24
Have you been mistreated by the Police? Have your First Amendment rights been violated? Have you been arrested for nothing, only to have the charges "unfiled" but held over your head for up to a year?
- First read this document: http://www.2momslaw.com/police_misconduct.pdf
- Make a Complaint: How to Make a Police Complaint
- Use this form: Complaint Form
- Forms also available in the lobby of City Hall.
- Citizen's Review Board member says we do NOT need names & badge numbers. File the complaint & it's up to SDPD to determine who the officer was (But it is better if we have them, of course).
- ALSO: By telephone or in writing to
- SDPD Internal Affairs Unit, 1401 Broadway, MS 709, San Diego CA 92101, (619) 531-2801
- Complaints made to the Citizens Review Board do not necessarily make it into the officers' personnel files
- Read this: Making Police Compliants That Stick
- Also, consider making a CLAIM against the city for your BOND money if charges were never filed. They have 45 days to reject the claim, then you file a lawsuit. It costs $400 to file unless you can claim low income.
Lutz suing Civic Center Plaza building owners and operators Project Details
- TELL POLICE HOW THEY ARE DOING: Police host monthly meetings in the community to get feedback from community members.
- More on this project... Including collected media, documents, photos, videos, etc.
- This is a VERY IMPORTANT project because we will directly engage wall street firms who own and operate the Civic Center Plaza office building.
- The National Lawyers Guild resources to protesters who have been arrested 619-500-4486 email@example.com
- 1st Circuit Rules Public Has Right to Videotape Police
- What to say to cops if you're busted. What you say and do can hurt you in court -- This is what I advise my clients to say when confronted by a law enforcement officer: "Officer, please understand I refuse to talk with you until I consult with my attorney. I also refuse to consent to any search of these premises or any other premises under my control, or in which I have a possessory, proprietary, or privacy interest, including my car, my body, or effects. I hereby demand to immediately be allowed the reasonable opportunity to obtain the advice of my attorney by telephone. from: http://layon.net/busted.php
- To check if someone is in jail check this website: http://apps.sdsheriff.net/wij/wij.aspx
- It usually takes about 6 hours for someone who has been arrested to pop up here. This site will tell you their charges, bail, etc. Jail's number is (619) 615-2700. The jail won't tell you much if anything that is not on the website. Please check this website before saying someone is in or out of jail to avoid confusion.
- FYI -- Penal Code 849.5. In any case in which a person is arrested and released and no accusatory pleading is filed charging him with an offense, any record of arrest of the person shall include a record of release. Thereafter, the arrest shall not be deemed an arrest, but a detention only.
- http://www.constitution.org/uslaw/defunlaw.htm -- Your rights when you are being arrested falsely.
LINKS AND REFERENCES
Links to sites/pages below that are no longer actively updated:
SEND THIS LINK AND TELL OTHERS TO SUBSCRIBE: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
If you have:
- lists of emails that should be subscribed
- events or notices that should be included
- needs or wants to request from our supporters
- specific requests for volunteers
SEND TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
and we'll work to get that information included in this daily update.
NOTICE TO MEDIA / DISCLAIMER |
Occupy San Diego is comprised of many people
with diverse opinions. This email does not provide
the official position of Occupy San Diego, but is
compiled for the use of supporters and occupiers
by a number of volunteers.
News Media that may subscribe to this email blast
should confirm all information from other sources.
THANK YOU FOR BEING INVOLVED.
Edited by Email Blast Team:
- Ray Lutz (Editor)
- Josephine P. (Media / Facebook)
- Chris West (Events)
- Occupy San Diego project page in "Common" web: Occupy San Diego
- New Occupy Project (new web): Occupy Web -- we will be migrating to this new web.