Get this update in your email box on a daily basis. Subscribe below: |
%--'VARCACHE:save:This page was newly rebuilt at 30 Sep 2023 - 22:31 GMT. Rebuild the page anyway.
Click to open the web-version of the report.: http://copswiki.org/Occupy/OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2012Mar21?cover=print
2012-03-21 -- HIGHLIGHTS:
21 Mar 2012 - Wed
- (2p) Occupy San Diego City College meets Wednesdays at Gorton Quad
Read more below...
War Against Women Continues
Stop SONGS (San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station = SONGS)
- Conservatives compete on how ridiculous they can get to withhold contraceptives, but when unwanted pregnancies occur, pregnancy termination is not an option.
- Flag-waving "Christian" Tea Party leader in this area arrested for kidnapping and raping a woman, 56, on Fiesta Island.
- Arizona representative wants women to have to witness an abortion before it can be an option.
Legal Hearings, etc.
- Next anti-nuke rally slated for April 29 (Sun) to commemorate Chernobyl disaster of 1986-04-26. Can you help us make this event even larger than the last one? NOTE: Moved this event to the 29th to avoid conflict with women's rights event.
- New Facebook page: http://www.Facebook.com/ShutSongs <-- Please like it!
- See post-event notes here: M 11 San Onofre Protest And Rally
- After the NRC completes their inspections, they will be having a PUBLIC MEETING! Time/date and location not announced yet. This is a all-hands-on-deck event that can be the end of SONGS. We have to be ready to deploy to this public meeting.
- It's getting worse for SONGS... another 4 tubes blew in the next test. That means they have a serious problem and the reactors will not be restarted for at least months. WE CAN MAKE IT PERMANENT!
- Fish's trial will be on March 22nd. Public may not be able to attend until after jury is selected.
- Bobby Uribe's trial starts 4/19. Need witnesses to Bobby Uribe's arrest at port protest
- Benjamin Gasper's trial: New Trial date has been set for May 29th.
2012 Mar 21
- Pension Reform Not What Will Save San Diego Money In fact, it’s estimated that over 30 years, the move could cost the city $13 million. That’s because of an assumed employer match of 9.2 percent and a new death and disability program for future employees to replace one in the current plan. The savings to the city in the pension initiative are considerable: $963 million over 30 years. But they come exclusively from proposed salary freezes.
- Corruption plagues all 50 states: study There is currently no state in America with a great track record in dealing with corruption and transparency issues in its government, according to a detailed study by an investigation group released Monday.
- Tea party joins unions in opposition to Georgia anti-picketing bill The Atlanta Tea Party Patriots have joined labor unions and environmentalists in opposition to legislation that would outlaw some types of mass picketing. “The bill at face value, appears to be geared toward labor unions, but the devil is in the details,” the Atlanta Tea Party Patriots said in an email to members. “It clearly adds a ‘person or organization’, which could include not only big labor, but also Tea Party activists, those protesting outside abortion clinics, or many other scenarios
- #OWS Calls for NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly To Resign Yesterday, members of the New York City Council decried the NYPD´s behavior on the March 17th re-eviction of Liberty Square. Today, Occupy Wall Street will call for the resignation of NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly for authorizing brutality and extreme abuse of police power. At 11am ET, we will march from Foley Square to a 12 noon press conference at 1 Police Plaza. Speakers will include victims of NYPD´s racist ¨Stop and Frisk¨ policies and targeted harassment of the Muslim community, as well as survivors of NYPD violence both within and outside Occupy Wall Street.
- China’s spending on renewable energy soars World’s biggest polluter spends £4bn a year on wind and solar power generation in single region as it aims to cut fossil fuel use. The remote, wind-blasted desert of northwestern Gansu could be the most unloved, environmentally abused corner of China. It is home to the country’s first oilfield and several of the coalmines and steel factories that have contributed to China’s notoriety as the planet’s biggest polluter and carbon dioxide emitter.
- Mandatory ultrasound measure approved by Idaho senate The state Senate in Idaho today passed a bill mandating an ultrasound for any woman seeking an abortion. The legislation prompted a protest on the capitol steps a couple of weeks ago, and last week a senate hearing room was packed as the State Affairs Committee approved the bill, 7-2, along party lines. The final tally was 23-12 in favor of the new ultrasound requirement. The measure now goes to the Idaho House where there are 57 Republicans and 13 Democrats
- Sharp Response Meets Return of Protesters On Monday, George E. Packard, a retired Episcopal bishop, between City Councilmen Jumaane D. Williams, left, and Ydanis Rodriguez, protested the arrests Saturday night in Zuccotti Park. Now, with Occupy Wall Street’s resurgence, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg’s response to the protest movement has not been ambivalent. Asked at a news conference on Monday if he had a strategy to prevent large-scale arrests of protesters, Mr. Bloomberg said: “You want to get arrested? We’ll accommodate you.”
- GMO Protesters Shut Down California Monsanto While proposed government regulation, previous legal action, and the threat of agricultural collapse does not seem to affect Monsanto’s daily operations, it appears protesters can and do. Dozens of protesters disrupted Monsanto’s California office in Davis, an area close to Sacramento, through vocal activism and calls to shut down the biotech giant with deep known ties into the United States government. Braving the rain, the dozens of protesters — not thousands — were successful in shutting down the entire office for the day.
This report is generated from an extraction filter which may pick up irrelevant articles sometimes.
- General Assemblies no longer meet daily. See listing below for upcoming GA meeting dates. When GAs fall on a Saturday, meetings will be at Redwood Circle in Balboa Park (about two blocks northeast of 6th and Laurel) afternoons (check Calendar for times).
- Weekly Saturday meetings will also be held at 2 PM at Freedom Plaza.
- GAs require 20 participants for a quorum.
- Committee/Working-Group members: Please update any changes or additions as desired to osd-feedback (at) citizensoversight (dot) org.
- Occupy San Diego maintains a website with a calendar, also committee and events forums, and more at http://sandiegooccupy.org/.
- See Event list (below) and Occupy San Diego Calendar 2 for all upcoming events.
. But mark your calendars now for these!
NEXT 7 DAYS
- (This list is automatically generated from the topic Occupy.Occupy San Diego Events). Scroll down the topic almost to the bottom or look at the Calendar for more events, not within the next 7 days.
21 Mar 2012 - Wed
- (2p) Occupy San Diego City College meets Wednesdays at Gorton Quad
22 Mar 2012 - Thu
- (8:15a) Fish's trial starts, at the SD County Courthouse. Public might not be able to enter until the afternoon. See FB Event for updates.
- (5p) Goldman-Sachs partnering with Cogentrix have plans to spoil some of Santee's undeveloped environs with a natural gas power plant which will spew an unrealistically lowballed estimate of 50 tons of carbon per year close to schools and more. Opposed? Concerned? Come to the CEC Public meeting at Mission Trails Park Visitors Center. There will only be room for 200 people so plan to arrive early. See Facebook Event page for more.
- (6p-8p) A family-friendly Spaghetti "Fun-Raiser" for Women Occupy San Diego will be held at The Big Kitchen on 3003 Grape St. Entertainment by the Occupella Chorus! $10 - $20 sliding scale, children $5. See Facebook Event page.
23 Mar 2012 - Fri
- (9a) Fish's trial continues. Jury selection in the morning, likely opening arguments in the afternoon (1:30p) Please come and support Fish, observers in the courtroom send a message to the jury. At the SD County Courthouse. Public might not be able to enter until the afternoon. See FB Event for updates.
24 Mar 2012 - Sat
- (10:30a-12p) CANCELLED! Sue Zesky spoke with the GM of the dealership and they have agreed to stop advertising on Rush Limbaugh's show. REJECT RUSH - RESPECT WOMEN - Picket Rush Limbaugh sponsor Toyota Carlsbad just off the Cannon Road offramp of I-5.
- (3p-7p) No War on Iran! at Childrens Park - following Norwuz March 21st which is celebrated as a new year in Iran.
- (12p-2p) OccupYrCorner at one of the busiest corners in the city on a busy shopping day, at Balboa and Genesee. Check with Anita Simons on Facebook or email her at email@example.com for links to print info handouts, and bring signs.
- (1p) Women Occupy SD w/potluck at Childrens Park
- (1p) Education committee meets at Childrens Park
- (7p) "We the People" meets at the foot of Brighton Ave. at Ocean Beach For details ask Hex.
- (1p-4p) Occupy Encinitas - 1 PM rally at the corner of Encinitas Blvd. and Coast Highway 101 followed by general assembly at 2:30 PM at Cottonwood Creek Park, corner of Encinitas Blvd. and Vulcan Ave. (GA meets at Leucadia Pizzeria if raining) More info: Facebook or Website
25 Mar 2012 - Sun
- (2p) Trayvon Martin, who was unarmed, was shot and killed for no reason and the murderer walks free. San Diego must come together and rally support for Trayvon Martin’s parents, who are calling for (assailant) George Zimmerman’s arrest and prosecution. No parent should ever go through this tragedy. Meet for a rally in City Heights at Landis Park between the libary and rec. center at 4380 Landis near Fairmount and Wightman. FB event page
- (2p-3p) - Meditation Teach-in at Childrens Park, by Nick Neild.
- (7pm) Screening the film "Fukushima Never Again" with discussion following at Equality Hall, 1159 6th Ave, San Diego, CA 92101, (corner of 6th and B) in the basement of the Southern Hotel. Free street parking, esp. up 6th Ave near Balboa Park. FREE (This is a new venue that is available for progressive events, so please come and check it out!)
26 Mar 2012 - Mon
- (8a-11a) Zenyatta's trial begins today at San Diego Superior Court...no access until after jury selection, but she would like us to meet outside the courthouse. Bring chalk and decorate the courthouse sidewalk! If you DARE. FB Event
- (10:30a) Fish's trial continues, will probably finish today. Please come and support Fish, observers in the courtroom send a message to the jury. We need at least another 20 people. At the SD County Courthouse, dept 47. See FB Event for updates.
- (10:30a) Call to action to protest and rally against Mitt Romney's appearance in SD for a fundraiser with Pete Wilson at the U.S. Grant Hotel downtown. Park free at Horton Plaza and come with signs reflecting that Romney is part of the GOP war against women's reproductive rights, healthcare, medicare and social security. Check Anita Simons' Facebook post for more info or contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- (5p) Justice for Trayvon Martin Rally and March begins at Centro Cultural de la Raza in Balboa Park, followed by a march to Department of Justice, then a candlelight vigil.
- (7p) Meeting regarding the demolition of ECPAC (East County Performing Arts Center) at Cocos Restaurant on Main In El Cajon. Meet for dinner at 6pm. For details on this project, see Save ECPAC. Sponsored by Citizens Oversight. Anyone interested in saving ECPAC should come to the meeting for an open discussion.
- (6p) Facilitation Committee meets at Childrens Park
27 Mar 2012 - Tue
28 Mar 2012 - Wed
- (6p) Planning meeting for We are Women March and Rally - SAN DIEGO at the Organ Pavillion in Balboa Park. NOT an OSD Event.
- (6:30p-9p) Retired Colonel/Diplomat and peace & human rights activist Ann Wright will speak at 10940 Roselle St. in Sorrento Valley about the NDAA and HR 347. She was one of three State Department officials to publicly resign in direct protest of the March 2003 invasion of Iraq. Social time at 6:30 followed by Ann's presentation/Q&A at 7 PM. Beer, wine and light snacks will be offered. Donations welcome. Seating limited to 70, so please RSVP to Martha at marthasullivan@Mac.com. More info at Facebook event page.
- (2p) Occupy San Diego City College meets Wednesdays at Gorton Quad
- 29 Apr 2012 - OSD ENDORSED - "Three Mile Island! Chernobyl! Fukushima! San Onofre?" - Anti-Nuke Rally and Protest at San Onofre to commemorate the 26th anniversary of the continuing Chernobyl meltdown which started on 1986-04-26, the 33-year anniversary of the Three-Mile Island accident, and the continuing disaster at Fukushima (that experts say is perhaps 20x worse than Chernobyl.) Details -- FB Event Page -- BUS TICKETS ARE RUNNING OUT, PLEASE SIGN UP NOW!
- 01 May 2012 - MAY DAY SAN DIEGO - A Day Without the 99% - International Workers Day by Occupy Labor Solidarity - also check Occupy Labor Solidarity's event page or FB Event page. Some of the events will run concurrently.
- 01 May 2012 - (11a) City College Rally just east of Park Blvd. and A Street, then march to Civic Center Plaza.
- 01 May 2012 - (12p) Rally at Civic Center Plaza - speakers to include workers from various occupations (small 'o'), then a march will start at Civic Center, go through downtown and end at the proposed Wal-Mart site in Sherman Heights between 21st and 22nd on Imperial Ave sometime after 2 PM.
- 01 May 2012 - (2p-4p) Occupy San Diego Events at Civic Center Plaza. Also actions are planned in the financial district just a couple of blocks to the east at the various banks (B of A, Wells Fargo on B Street and at Citibank near Horton Plaza).
- 01 May 2012 - (3:30p-6p) SDEA Rally at Roosevelt Middle School and March to Board Meeting - NOT AN OLS EVENT, This event for SDEA runs concurrently with the other events listed here. SDEA: The event begins at 3:30 at Roosevelt Middle School. Work at a late-start school? If you can’t make it to Roosevelt before the march takes off at 4:15, join the march at the Education Center on Normal Street from 4:45 – 5:15 before it loops back to Roosevelt.
- 01 May 2012 - (4p-6p) OSD Labor Solidarity Rally at Civic Center and March to Chicano Park around 6 PM to join the event in progress at Chicano Park. There will be many speakers at Civic Center, representing organized and non-organized groups, including hotel workers, in-home care providers, representatives from student groups, LGBT activists on achieving equality in the workplace, and more.
- 01 May 2012 - (5:30p) Chicano Park Festival
- 01 May 2012 - (6p) March to and direct action at the Westin Hotel near Horton Plaza protesting management's lack of willingness to negotiate a new contract with the hotel workers there.
- 01 May 2012 - (7p) GA at Freedom Plaza
- Bobby Uribe's court date has been postponed until June11th.
http://copswiki.org/Occupy/OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2012Mar21 <== click here to see the rest of the report.
To update your mailing list preferences, including unsubscribing, go to this address: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
Things YOU can do right now to help.
I think a complaint to the Citizens Review Board of Police Practices CRBOPP is in order!
See All Occupy San Diego Announcements
to read all previous announcements about
- Where we meet, how to recover confiscated property from the San Diego Police Department, information for people were arrested, etc.
- OSD speaks at the Citizens Review Board of Police Practices on 1/24
Have you been mistreated by the Police? Have your First Amendment rights been violated? Have you been arrested for nothing, only to have the charges "unfiled" but held over your head for up to a year?
- First read this document: http://www.2momslaw.com/police_misconduct.pdf
- Make a Complaint: How to Make a Police Complaint
- Use this form: Complaint Form
- Forms also available in the lobby of City Hall.
- Citizen's Review Board member says we do NOT need names & badge numbers. File the complaint & it's up to SDPD to determine who the officer was (But it is better if we have them, of course).
- ALSO: By telephone or in writing to
- SDPD Internal Affairs Unit, 1401 Broadway, MS 709, San Diego CA 92101, (619) 531-2801
- Complaints made to the Citizens Review Board do not necessarily make it into the officers' personnel files
- Read this: Making Police Compliants That Stick
- Also, consider making a CLAIM against the city for your BOND money if charges were never filed. They have 45 days to reject the claim, then you file a lawsuit. It costs $400 to file unless you can claim low income.
Lutz suing Civic Center Plaza building owners and operators Project Details
- TELL POLICE HOW THEY ARE DOING: Police host monthly meetings in the community to get feedback from community members.
- More on this project... Including collected media, documents, photos, videos, etc.
- This is a VERY IMPORTANT project because we will directly engage wall street firms who own and operate the Civic Center Plaza office building.
- The National Lawyers Guild resources to protesters who have been arrested 619-500-4486 email@example.com
- 1st Circuit Rules Public Has Right to Videotape Police
- What to say to cops if you're busted. What you say and do can hurt you in court -- This is what I advise my clients to say when confronted by a law enforcement officer: "Officer, please understand I refuse to talk with you until I consult with my attorney. I also refuse to consent to any search of these premises or any other premises under my control, or in which I have a possessory, proprietary, or privacy interest, including my car, my body, or effects. I hereby demand to immediately be allowed the reasonable opportunity to obtain the advice of my attorney by telephone. from: http://layon.net/busted.php
- To check if someone is in jail check this website: http://apps.sdsheriff.net/wij/wij.aspx
- It usually takes about 6 hours for someone who has been arrested to pop up here. This site will tell you their charges, bail, etc. Jail's number is (619) 615-2700. The jail won't tell you much if anything that is not on the website. Please check this website before saying someone is in or out of jail to avoid confusion.
- FYI -- Penal Code 849.5. In any case in which a person is arrested and released and no accusatory pleading is filed charging him with an offense, any record of arrest of the person shall include a record of release. Thereafter, the arrest shall not be deemed an arrest, but a detention only.
- http://www.constitution.org/uslaw/defunlaw.htm -- Your rights when you are being arrested falsely.
LINKS AND REFERENCES
Links to sites/pages below that are no longer actively updated:
SEND THIS LINK AND TELL OTHERS TO SUBSCRIBE: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
If you have:
- lists of emails that should be subscribed
- events or notices that should be included
- needs or wants to request from our supporters
- specific requests for volunteers
SEND TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
and we'll work to get that information included in this daily update.
NOTICE TO MEDIA / DISCLAIMER |
Occupy San Diego is comprised of many people
with diverse opinions. This email does not provide
the official position of Occupy San Diego, but is
compiled for the use of supporters and occupiers
by a number of volunteers.
News Media that may subscribe to this email blast
should confirm all information from other sources.
THANK YOU FOR BEING INVOLVED.
Edited by Email Blast Team:
- Ray Lutz (Editor)
- Josephine P. (Media / Facebook)
- Chris West (Events)
- Occupy San Diego project page in "Common" web: Occupy San Diego
- New Occupy Project (new web): Occupy Web -- we will be migrating to this new web.