Get this update in your email box on a daily basis. Subscribe below: |
%--'VARCACHE:save:This page was newly rebuilt at 21 Sep 2023 - 22:49 GMT. Rebuild the page anyway.
Click to open the web-version of the report.: http://copswiki.org/Occupy/OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2012Mar27?cover=print
2012-03-27 -- HIGHLIGHTS:
27 Mar 2012 - Tue
Read more below...
Occupy Walk Schedule
Occupy Walk has adopted a more practical walking schedule based on walking an average of 15 miles per day, 5 days per week. The additional 2 days off dedicated to outreach activities.
FROM: Needles, CA
|| Est Time
|| Est. Date of Arrival
| San Diego, CA
|| Feb. 18, 2012
| Needles, CA
|| March 20, 2012
| Crossed into AZ
|| March 22, 2012
| Lake Havasu
|| March 25, 2012
| Flagstaff, Arizona
|| 213 mi
|| 3 weeks
|| April 15, 2012
| Albuquerque, NM
|| 331 mi
|| 4.5 wks
|| May 16, 2012
| Amarillo, Texas
|| 314 mi
|| 4 weeks
|| June 13, 2012
| Wichita, Kansas
|| 346 mi
|| 5 weeks
|| July 18, 2012
| Kansas city, Mo.
|| 215 mi
|| 3 weeks
|| Aug 8, 2012
| Fairfield, Iowa
|| 237 mi
|| 3 weeks
|| Aug 29, 2012
| Chicago, Illinois
|| 260 mi
|| 3.5 wks
|| Sept 23, 2012
| Gary, Indiana
|| 28 mi
|| 2 days
|| Sept 25, 2012
| Toledo, Ohio
|| 204 mi
|| 3 weeks
|| Oct 16, 2012
| Akron, Ohio
|| 121 mi
|| 2 weeks
|| Oct 30, 2012
| Youngstown, Ohio
|| 46 mi
|| 3 days
|| Nov 3, 2012
| Allentown, PA
|| 317 mi
|| 4.5 wks
|| Dec 6, 2012
| Newark, NJ
|| 76 mi
|| 1 week
|| Dec 14, 2012
| Zuccotti Park, NY
|| 9 mi
|| 1 day
|| Dec 15, 2012
War Against Women Continues
At City Heights
Remember Chernobyl and Three Mile Island Rally at San Onofre -- 2012-04-29
Stop SONGS (San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station = SONGS)
- Conservatives compete on how ridiculous they can get to withhold contraceptives, but when unwanted pregnancies occur, pregnancy termination is not an option.
- Flag-waving "Christian" Tea Party leader in this area arrested for kidnapping and raping a woman, 56, on Fiesta Island.
- Arizona representative wants women to have to witness an abortion before it can be an option.
Legal Hearings, etc.
- Next anti-nuke rally slated for April 29 (Sun) to commemorate Chernobyl disaster of 1986-04-26. Can you help us make this event even larger than the last one? NOTE: Moved this event to the 29th to avoid conflict with women's rights event.
- New Facebook page: http://www.Facebook.com/ShutSongs <-- Please like it!
- See post-event notes here: M 11 San Onofre Protest And Rally
- After the NRC completes their inspections, they will be having a PUBLIC MEETING! Time/date and location not announced yet. This is a all-hands-on-deck event that can be the end of SONGS. We have to be ready to deploy to this public meeting.
- It's getting worse for SONGS... another 4 tubes blew in the next test. That means they have a serious problem and the reactors will not be restarted for at least months. WE CAN MAKE IT PERMANENT!
- Stunning video about Fukushima Must view video -- situation is even more dire than I imagined. I hope this is not the end of life on earth, in the year 2012. (Click link to view in You Tube... Embedded player does not show subtitles)
- Fish's Trial: Continues Monday, 3/26 at 10:30am. We need a packed house! At least another 20 people need to show up!
- What I understand about Fish's Arrest: During an early morning raid (2:20am), there were about 200 police officers in riot control gear and maybe 60 protestors. The police made a line to push people out of Freedom Plaza. One woman realized that her dog and dog food were left in the Civic Center, and so she walked from the corner at 3rd and C St. to the police line, which she attempted to cross so she could go get her dog. They stopped her and she became unruly since she did not want to lose her pet. Fish walked over to try to get the woman to back away so she would not get arrested. Fish pulled on the woman's arm. An officer thought he was going to hit him, he said, it was a matter of self defense, so he did a headlock takedown on Fish, and arrested him. The charge is resisting arrest, I believe.
- Update: I listened to almost all of the closing arguments and jury instructions. Definitely, Fish's attorney kicked butt compared to the prosecutor, who was flailing badly at the end. Fish was only trying to help the police defuse a bad situation -- and the woman was upset because her dog and dog food was left in FP, but they did not allow that to be stated very clearly. If it were tea partiers, they would have escorted the woman in to get her dog. That could have been the approach instead of opting for hard-lining the police line and arrests.
- Bobby Uribe's trial starts 4/19. Need witnesses to Bobby Uribe's arrest at port protest
- Benjamin Gasper's trial: New Trial date has been set for May 29th.
2012 Mar 27
- Underemployment Holding Back San Diego Economy Ironworkers local 229 has about 1,200 members. Nearly 100 are actively seeking work, but that can change. The recent financial collapse has put a lot of pressure on these workers. Business manager Jose Naranjo says that can easily swell to several hundred. He says the recent financial collapse was not kind. People put too much focus on the jobless rate, said Cox, who thinks adding the unemployed and underemployed paints a more accurate picture.
- Wells Fargo Won't Turn Over Documents To Feds: Report Federal securities regulators are asking a federal court to order Wells Fargo & Co. to turn over documents in an investigation of the bank's sale of $60 billion in mortgage-backed securities. The Securities and Exchange Commission said in a statement Friday that Wells Fargo agreed to produce the documents under subpoenas dating to September of 2011, but the bank has failed to hand over much of the requested material.
- Lobbyists, Guns and Money Specifically, language virtually identical to Florida’s law is featured in a template supplied to legislators in other states by the American Legislative Exchange Council, a corporate-backed organization that has managed to keep a low profile even as it exerts vast influence. Many ALEC-drafted bills pursue standard conservative goals: union-busting, undermining environmental protection, tax breaks for corporations and the wealthy.
- The Fukushima Lie Documentary - asks how it could come to this catastrophe, and how the Japanese nuclear bosses and government dealt with the crisis. Our research shows even before the catastrophe a network of energy criminals existed who kept serious mistakes and flaws secret to save costs. For decades many Japanese workers and top government officials are forced into silence
- 5 Ways Wall Street Is Putting the Squeeze on American Students The damage Wall Street inflicted on our educational infrastructure is growing. As state funding has dwindled, public colleges have raised tuition and are now resorting to even more desperate measures — cutting training for jobs the economy needs most.
- California Unions Compromise on Millionaires Tax Paving the way for an uncluttered ballot in November, a California teachers union struck a deal Wednesday with Governor Jerry Brown that would combine a millionaires tax with a sales tax boost
- Finally, OWS gets police to arrest the people in suits Sometimes justice requires a little imagination. On Saturday, when much of the Occupy Wall Street movement in New York was loudly denouncing police violence against minorities and protesters, a small group of environmentalists dreamed up a way to get the police to focus on the crimes of the 1 percent, to the point of arresting five corporate suits on United Nations property.
Granted, those five were actually members of the OWS affinity group Disrupt Dirty Power, which used Saturday’s action (billed as a “mock’upation”) to launch a month of actions targeting the “corrupt partnership between Wall Street, politicians and the business of pollution.” Police officers seemed thrown for a loop as they tore down tents bearing corporate logos and cuffed people who claimed to be from Bank of America and Exxon Mobil. Compared to the rowdy anti-NYPD march earlier that afternoon, this time, the cops had more of a chance to think about what side they’re really on.
- Court orders FDA to restrict use of antibiotics in livestock The ruling favors a coalition of plaintiffs including the Natural Resources Defense Council, which filed suit last May in a bid to push the FDA to exert more control over agricultural use of penicillin and tetracycline, two popular antibiotics used in feed to protect chickens, pigs and cattle from disease and speed their growth.
- When Other Voices Are Drowned Out The Supreme Court’s 5-to-4 ruling in Citizens United in 2010 was shaped by an extreme view of the First Amendment: money equals speech, and independent spending by wealthy organizations and individuals poses no problem to the political system
This report is generated from an extraction filter which may pick up irrelevant articles sometimes.
- General Assemblies no longer meet daily. See listing below for upcoming GA meeting dates. When GAs fall on a Saturday, meetings will be at Redwood Circle in Balboa Park (about two blocks northeast of 6th and Laurel) afternoons (check Calendar for times).
- Finance Committee meets at 4:30 PM at Childrens Park on the same days that GAs meet. Also one hour before GA at Balboa Park every other week.
- Weekly Saturday meetings will also be held at 2 PM at Freedom Plaza.
- GAs require 20 participants for a quorum.
- Committee/Working-Group members: Please update any changes or additions as desired to osd-feedback (at) citizensoversight (dot) org.
- Occupy San Diego maintains a website with a calendar, also committee and events forums, and more at http://sandiegooccupy.org/.
- See Event list (below) and Occupy San Diego Calendar 2 for all upcoming events.
. But mark your calendars now for these!
NEXT 7 DAYS
- (This list is automatically generated from the topic Occupy.Occupy San Diego Events). Scroll down the topic almost to the bottom or look at the Calendar for more events, not within the next 7 days.
27 Mar 2012 - Tue
28 Mar 2012 - Wed
- (6p) Planning meeting for We are Women March and Rally - SAN DIEGO at the Organ Pavillion in Balboa Park. NOT an OSD Event.
- (6:30p-9p) Retired Colonel/Diplomat and peace & human rights activist Ann Wright will speak at 10940 Roselle St. in Sorrento Valley about the NDAA and HR 347. She was one of three State Department officials to publicly resign in direct protest of the March 2003 invasion of Iraq. Social time at 6:30 followed by Ann's presentation/Q&A at 7 PM. Beer, wine and light snacks will be offered. Donations welcome. Seating limited to 70, so please RSVP to Martha at marthasullivan@Mac.com. More info at Facebook event page.
- (2p) Occupy San Diego City College meets Wednesdays at Gorton Quad
30 Mar 2012 - Fri
31 Mar 2012 - Sat
01 Apr 2012 - Sun
- (11a) OSD Wellness Committee presents The Joke's on Us (the 99%) parade right across from the Farmer's Market, at the DMV in Hillcrest on the Cleveland Ave side. Come early to cash-mob the Farmer's Market! Download an appropriately themed promotional flyer here. Dress the fool and play the part!
- (2p) Women Occupy San Diego's Occupella Chorus will have their monthly reheasal. See the web page for sign up/contact details.
- (7p) The Peace Resource Center will sponsor Jeff Paterson, speaking of Bradley Manning's upcoming court martial, and about his new book, "About Face: Military Resisters Turn Against War". The doors open at 6:30 pm so that his talk can begin promptly at 7 pm. Free. Donations are appreciated. Light refreshments
02 Apr 2012 - Mon
03 Apr 2012 - Tue
- 24 Apr 2012 - (9a) Sentencing for Fish...come out and be there for our brother Fish during his sentencing! He may be facing JAIL TIME for standing up for what is right and requesting a jury trial. Dept. 47 of San Diego Superior Court.
- 24 Apr 2012 - (4:30p) COME SUPPORT OUR HERO! March and Rally in support of accused whistleblower Pfc. Bradley Manning. Gather at 3rd Ave & Beech/Cedar St. bridge for bannering, then at 5:15, march to Horton Plaza for rally and speakers. Manning will appear in court April 24-26 at Ft. Meade, MD.
- 24 Apr 2012 - (5:30p) Help keep San Onofre shut down! Attend and speak out at Vista city council meeting at Vista City Hall. We are going city by city to get the council members on board with KEEPING San Onofre shut down. The cities of Solana Beach, Irvine, and Laguna are already on board with this.
- 29 Apr 2012 - OSD ENDORSED - "Three Mile Island! Chernobyl! Fukushima! San Onofre?" - Anti-Nuke Rally and Protest at San Onofre to commemorate the 26th anniversary of the continuing Chernobyl meltdown which started on 1986-04-26, the 33-year anniversary of the Three-Mile Island accident, and the continuing disaster at Fukushima (that experts say is perhaps 20x worse than Chernobyl.) Details -- FB Event Page -- BUS TICKETS ARE RUNNING OUT, PLEASE SIGN UP NOW!
- 01 May 2012 - MAY DAY SAN DIEGO - A Day Without the 99% - International Workers Day by Occupy Labor Solidarity - also check Occupy Labor Solidarity's event page or FB Event page. Some of the events will run concurrently.
- 01 May 2012 - (11a) City College Rally just east of Park Blvd. and A Street, then march to Civic Center Plaza.
- 01 May 2012 - (12p) Rally at Civic Center Plaza - speakers to include workers from various occupations (small 'o'), then a march will start at Civic Center, go through downtown and end at the proposed Wal-Mart site in Sherman Heights between 21st and 22nd on Imperial Ave sometime after 2 PM.
- 01 May 2012 - (2p-4p) Occupy San Diego Events at Civic Center Plaza. Also actions are planned in the financial district just a couple of blocks to the east at the various banks (B of A, Wells Fargo on B Street and at Citibank near Horton Plaza).
- 01 May 2012 - (3:30p-6p) SDEA Rally at Roosevelt Middle School and March to Board Meeting - NOT AN OLS EVENT, This event for SDEA runs concurrently with the other events listed here. SDEA: The event begins at 3:30 at Roosevelt Middle School. Work at a late-start school? If you can’t make it to Roosevelt before the march takes off at 4:15, join the march at the Education Center on Normal Street from 4:45 – 5:15 before it loops back to Roosevelt.
- 01 May 2012 - (4p-6p) OSD Labor Solidarity Rally at Civic Center and March to Chicano Park around 6 PM to join the event in progress at Chicano Park. There will be many speakers at Civic Center, representing organized and non-organized groups, including hotel workers, in-home care providers, representatives from student groups, LGBT activists on achieving equality in the workplace, and more.
- 01 May 2012 - (5:30p) Chicano Park Festival
- 01 May 2012 - (6p) March to and direct action at the Westin Hotel near Horton Plaza protesting management's lack of willingness to negotiate a new contract with the hotel workers there.
- 01 May 2012 - (7p) GA at Freedom Plaza
- Bobby Uribe's court date has been postponed until June11th.
http://copswiki.org/Occupy/OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2012Mar27 <== click here to see the rest of the report.
To update your mailing list preferences, including unsubscribing, go to this address: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
Things YOU can do right now to help.
See All Occupy San Diego Announcements
to read all previous announcements about
- Where we meet, how to recover confiscated property from the San Diego Police Department, information for people were arrested, etc.
- OSD speaks at the Citizens Review Board of Police Practices on 1/24
Have you been mistreated by the Police? Have your First Amendment rights been violated? Have you been arrested for nothing, only to have the charges "unfiled" but held over your head for up to a year?
- First read this document: http://www.2momslaw.com/police_misconduct.pdf
- Make a Complaint: How to Make a Police Complaint
- Use this form: Complaint Form
- Forms also available in the lobby of City Hall.
- Citizen's Review Board member says we do NOT need names & badge numbers. File the complaint & it's up to SDPD to determine who the officer was (But it is better if we have them, of course).
- ALSO: By telephone or in writing to
- SDPD Internal Affairs Unit, 1401 Broadway, MS 709, San Diego CA 92101, (619) 531-2801
- Complaints made to the Citizens Review Board do not necessarily make it into the officers' personnel files
- Read this: Making Police Compliants That Stick
- Also, consider making a CLAIM against the city for your BOND money if charges were never filed. They have 45 days to reject the claim, then you file a lawsuit. It costs $400 to file unless you can claim low income.
Lutz suing Civic Center Plaza building owners and operators Project Details
- TELL POLICE HOW THEY ARE DOING: Police host monthly meetings in the community to get feedback from community members.
- More on this project... Including collected media, documents, photos, videos, etc.
- This is a VERY IMPORTANT project because we will directly engage wall street firms who own and operate the Civic Center Plaza office building.
- The National Lawyers Guild resources to protesters who have been arrested 619-500-4486 firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1st Circuit Rules Public Has Right to Videotape Police
- What to say to cops if you're busted. What you say and do can hurt you in court -- This is what I advise my clients to say when confronted by a law enforcement officer: "Officer, please understand I refuse to talk with you until I consult with my attorney. I also refuse to consent to any search of these premises or any other premises under my control, or in which I have a possessory, proprietary, or privacy interest, including my car, my body, or effects. I hereby demand to immediately be allowed the reasonable opportunity to obtain the advice of my attorney by telephone. from: http://layon.net/busted.php
- To check if someone is in jail check this website: http://apps.sdsheriff.net/wij/wij.aspx
- It usually takes about 6 hours for someone who has been arrested to pop up here. This site will tell you their charges, bail, etc. Jail's number is (619) 615-2700. The jail won't tell you much if anything that is not on the website. Please check this website before saying someone is in or out of jail to avoid confusion.
- FYI -- Penal Code 849.5. In any case in which a person is arrested and released and no accusatory pleading is filed charging him with an offense, any record of arrest of the person shall include a record of release. Thereafter, the arrest shall not be deemed an arrest, but a detention only.
- http://www.constitution.org/uslaw/defunlaw.htm -- Your rights when you are being arrested falsely.
LINKS AND REFERENCES
Links to sites/pages below that are no longer actively updated:
SEND THIS LINK AND TELL OTHERS TO SUBSCRIBE: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
If you have:
- lists of emails that should be subscribed
- events or notices that should be included
- needs or wants to request from our supporters
- specific requests for volunteers
SEND TO: email@example.com
and we'll work to get that information included in this daily update.
NOTICE TO MEDIA / DISCLAIMER |
Occupy San Diego is comprised of many people
with diverse opinions. This email does not provide
the official position of Occupy San Diego, but is
compiled for the use of supporters and occupiers
by a number of volunteers.
News Media that may subscribe to this email blast
should confirm all information from other sources.
THANK YOU FOR BEING INVOLVED.
Edited by Email Blast Team:
- Ray Lutz (Editor)
- Josephine P. (Media / Facebook)
- Chris West (Events)
- Occupy San Diego project page in "Common" web: Occupy San Diego
- New Occupy Project (new web): Occupy Web -- we will be migrating to this new web.