Get this update in your email box on a daily basis. Subscribe below: |
%--'VARCACHE:save:This page was newly rebuilt at 21 Sep 2023 - 21:23 GMT. Rebuild the page anyway.
Click to open the web-version of the report.: http://copswiki.org/Occupy/OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2012Apr20
2012-04-20 -- HIGHLIGHTS:
Read more below...
We need to keep the pressure up and make sure all voices are heard at the old Farmer's Market!
Occupy City Heights Kick-Off Fiesta - Noon-4 pm, SATURDAY, at the City Heights Performance Annex (In the park @ Fairmount & Wightman)
Next OccuParty benefit at the Kensington Club on April 25th
Remember Chernobyl and Three Mile Island Rally at San Onofre -- 2012-04-29 Info/RSVP
Full Size JPG -- Printable Flyer
Shut Down San Onofre
- Website: http://www.occupywalkusa.org
- Stream Channel: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/occupywalkusa
- Occupy Walk USA: "Today the walkers go 18 miles closer to their goal, we are camped out in the middle of nowhere and we love it. Walking into Navajo territory tomorrow should get just past Leupp AZ. There is a Citizen detention center there from 1942 or 43 I can not remember but we will be checking that out. I will post a few photos of our camp in the morning. Love you all. night" ~ Chris McKay. Give this a listen: "Occupy Walk Across the USA",
Legal Hearings, etc.
- Project landing web site: http://ShutDownSanOnofre.org
- 30-sec TV Spot Catch it on MSNBC. Thank you Friends of the Earth!
- On Wednesday, Southern California Edison (SEC) admitted that Unit 2 had the same unusual wear as Unit 3 (the one the blew a tube) meaning it will be very difficult to turn on Unit 3 before understanding the problem, as had been suggested as one option by NRC Secretary Gregory Jaczko at the press conference.
- Regarding the press conference -- 20/20 hindsight says our action would have been better not at the San Onofre plant, but in the street outside the Doubletree Hotel where Chairman Jaczko already had all the media, and people could easily see, park, etc.
- Next anti-nuke rally slated for April 29 (Sun) A 29 San Onofre Protest and Rally to commemorate Chernobyl disaster of 1986-04-26. Can you help us make this event even larger than the last one?
- New Facebook page: http://www.Facebook.com/ShutSongs <-- Please like it!
- Cities of Irvine and Solana Beach voted to shut down San Onofre. This needs to be on the agenda of all local cities.
- Zenyatta's (aka Parsley Zen Tart's) trial in dept 2 of San Diego Superior Court has been postponed until April 30th.
- Jury sentencing for Brother Fish scheduled for April 24th.
- Bobby Uribe's trial starts 5/1. Need witnesses to Bobby Uribe's arrest at port protest
- Benjamin Gasper's trial: New Trial date has been set for May 29th.
2012 Apr 20
- Grand Jury To Look Into SDPD Oversight Board Citizens' Review Board Accused Of Showing Favoritism To San Diego Police Officers. A recent 10News I-Team investigation that examined questionable practices inside a local citizens group has prompted a San Diego grand jury inquiry.
- Occupy movement turning to shareholder meetings A group called 99% Power -- a reference to those not among the top 1 percent of earners -- says it plans actions at 36 shareholder meetings, with the first big push coming at Tuesday's Wells Fargo & Co gathering in San Francisco.
- ALEC Wants You To Pay 750 Percent More For High-Speed Internet A few years ago, the city of Wilson, North Carolina, decided that it would create its own broadband system, which it called Greenlight. The service offered speeds twice as fast as private competitors in the area for a similar price. Soon, the success of the service spread, and a number of other cities began offering municipal broadband systems that were cheaper and/or faster than private competitors’.
But state legislators — who received $600,000 in contributions from the telecom industry in the previous election cycle — reacted to the spread of these successful services by undercutting them with a bill that made it very difficult for cities to operate their own broadband systems. One provision in the bill made it illegal for cities to offer broadband services that are priced below their costs.
This report is generated from an extraction filter which may pick up irrelevant articles sometimes.
- There are two OSD groups. A larger group has General Assembly (GA) meetings at Children's Park and every other Saturday at Redwood Circle in Balboa Park. (check Calendar for times). The other group meets weekly at 2 PM Saturdays at Civic Center Plaza.
- Finance Committee meets at 6 PM at Children's Park on the same days that GAs meet there. Also one hour before GA at Balboa Park every other Saturday..
- Committee/Working-Group members: Please update any changes or additions as desired to osd-feedback (at) citizensoversight (dot) org.
- Occupy San Diego maintains a website with a calendar, also committee and events forums, and more at http://sandiegooccupy.org/.
- See Event list (below) and Occupy San Diego Calendar for all upcoming events.
. But mark your calendars now for these!
NEXT 7 DAYS
- (This list is automatically generated from the topic Occupy.Occupy San Diego Events). Scroll down the topic almost to the bottom or look at the Calendar for more events, not within the next 7 days.
21 Apr 2012 - Sat
22 Apr 2012 - Sun
23 Apr 2012 - Mon
- (9a) Hearing on demolition of the Sherman Heights Farmer's Market by Wal-Mart at the Hall of Justice at 330 West Broadway, dept. 66. The construction crew will be allowed to work on site but by court order suspend any more demolition until after the results of this hearing.
- (6p-8p) Ocupemos el Barrio - Occupy the 'Hood meets Mondays at Sherman Heights Community Center
24 Apr 2012 - Tue
- (10a) San Diego City Council Meeting (includes Public Comment) at 202 "C" St (12th floor), San Diego, CA 92101
- (10a) San Diego City Council Meeting (includes Public Comment) at 202 "C" St (12th floor), San Diego, CA 92101
- (9a) Sentencing for Fish...come out and be there for our brother Fish during his sentencing! He may be facing JAIL TIME for standing up for what is right and requesting a jury trial. Dept. 47 of San Diego Superior Court.
- (4:30p) COME SUPPORT OUR HERO! March and Rally in support of accused whistleblower Pfc. Bradley Manning. Gather at 3rd Ave & Beech/Cedar St. bridge for bannering, then at 5:15, march to Horton Plaza for rally and speakers. Manning will appear in court April 24-26 at Ft. Meade, MD.
- (5:30p) Help keep San Onofre shut down! Attend and speak out at Vista city council meeting at Vista City Hall. We are going city by city to get the council members on board with KEEPING San Onofre shut down. The cities of Solana Beach, Irvine, and Laguna are already on board with this.
25 Apr 2012 - Wed
- (8:30p) Wal-Mart update! There will be a California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) lawsuit to be filed in Dept. 72 of the San Diego Hall of Justice on the planned "neighborhood" WalMart in Sherman Heights. There is a FB Event page for this and future actions related to WalMart's planned intrusion into Sherman Heights.
- (7:30p-1a) Fourth benefit Occu-party at the Kensington Club at 4079 Adams Ave. Featuring Liquid Blue and more TBA. $5 cover/donation.
- (2p) Occupy San Diego City College meets Wednesdays at Gorton Quad
26 Apr 2012 - Thu
- (1p) Despite the setback this week, we can go face to face with City staff that made the Farmer's Market/Walmart fiasco possible. Historical Resources Board meets at San Diego City Hall, 12th Floor, City Council Committee meeting room. The public has an opportunity to express their displeasure during public comment. Tell them what a lousy job they are doing managing S.D. historical resources. Keep in mind HR staff and the HRB are not the same. HRB are citizens. City staff serves at the Mayor's pleasure. Keep that in mind when addressing the issue. Don't blame the wrong people.
- (5:30p-7:30p) Come learn about the dirtiest secret of America’s Finest City - People For Sale--Human Trafficking in San Diego: How to Protect our Children at Malcolm X Library and Performing Arts Center. Guest speakers include: Assemblymember Marty Block, author of AB-2212, Marisa Ugarte, Bilateral Safety Corridor Coalition, and Jenee Littrell, Coordinator of District Counseling Programs at GUHSD
- 29 Apr 2012 - OSD ENDORSED - "Three Mile Island! Chernobyl! Fukushima! San Onofre?" - Anti-Nuke Rally and Protest at San Onofre to commemorate the 26th anniversary of the continuing Chernobyl meltdown which started on 1986-04-26, the 33-year anniversary of the Three-Mile Island accident, and the continuing disaster at Fukushima (that experts say is perhaps 20x worse than Chernobyl.) Details -- FB Event Page -- BUS TICKETS ARE RUNNING OUT, PLEASE SIGN UP NOW!
- 01 May 2012 - MAY DAY SAN DIEGO - A Day Without the 99% - International Workers Day by Occupy Labor Solidarity - also check Occupy Labor Solidarity's event page or FB Event page. Some of the events will run concurrently.
- 01 May 2012 - (11a) City College Rally just east of Park Blvd. and A Street, then march to Civic Center Plaza.
- 01 May 2012 - (12p) Rally at Civic Center Plaza - speakers to include workers from various occupations (small 'o'), then a march will start at Civic Center, go through downtown and end at the proposed Wal-Mart site in Sherman Heights between 21st and 22nd on Imperial Ave sometime after 2 PM.
- 01 May 2012 - (2p-4p) Occupy San Diego Events at Civic Center Plaza. Also actions are planned in the financial district just a couple of blocks to the east at the various banks (B of A, Wells Fargo on B Street and at Citibank near Horton Plaza).
- 01 May 2012 - (3:30p-6p) SDEA Rally at Roosevelt Middle School and March to Board Meeting - NOT AN OLS EVENT, This event for SDEA runs concurrently with the other events listed here. SDEA: The event begins at 3:30 at Roosevelt Middle School. Work at a late-start school? If you can’t make it to Roosevelt before the march takes off at 4:15, join the march at the Education Center on Normal Street from 4:45 – 5:15 before it loops back to Roosevelt.
- 01 May 2012 - (4p-6p) OSD Labor Solidarity Rally at Civic Center and March to Chicano Park around 6 PM to join the event in progress at Chicano Park. There will be many speakers at Civic Center, representing organized and non-organized groups, including hotel workers, in-home care providers, representatives from student groups, LGBT activists on achieving equality in the workplace, and more.
- 01 May 2012 - (5:30p) Chicano Park Festival
- 01 May 2012 - (6p) March to and direct action at the Westin Hotel near Horton Plaza protesting management's lack of willingness to negotiate a new contract with the hotel workers there.
- 01 May 2012 - (7p) GA at Freedom Plaza
- Bobby Uribe's court date has been postponed until June11th.
http://copswiki.org/Occupy/OccupySanDiegoEmailBlast2012Apr20 <== click here to see the rest of the report.
To update your mailing list preferences, including unsubscribing, go to this address: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
Occupy Walk has adopted a more practical walking schedule based on walking an average of 15 miles per day, 5 days per week. The additional 2 days off dedicated to outreach activities.
FROM: Needles, CA
|| Est Time
|| Est. Arrival
| San Diego, CA
|| 18 Feb 2012
| 29 Palms
|| 19 Mar 2012
Janson Brock at 29 Palms
| Needles, CA
|| 20 Mar 2012
| Crossed into AZ
|| 22 Mar 2012
| Lake Havasu
|| 25 Mar 2012
| Oatman, AZ
|| 27 Mar 2012
|| Oatman to Golden Valley
| Kingman, AZ
|| 30 Mar 2012 - 01 Apr 2012
Video: Occupy Walk in Kingman, AZ
| Seligman, AZ
|| 09 Apr 2012
Photos to the tune of Kid Rock "Born Free"
| Flagstaff, AZ
|| 12 Apr 2012 - 15 Apr 2012
DJ, who joined the walk in L.A., playing in the snow
| Albuquerque, NM
|| 331 mi
|| 4.5 wks
|| May 16, 2012
| Amarillo, TX
|| 314 mi
|| 4 weeks
|| June 13, 2012
| Wichita, KS
|| 346 mi
|| 5 weeks
|| July 18, 2012
| Kansas city MO
|| 215 mi
|| 3 weeks
|| Aug 8, 2012
| Fairfield, IA
|| 237 mi
|| 3 weeks
|| Aug 29, 2012
| Chicago, IL
|| 260 mi
|| 3.5 wks
|| Sept 23, 2012
| Gary, IA
|| 28 mi
|| 2 days
|| Sept 25, 2012
| Toledo, OH
|| 204 mi
|| 3 weeks
|| Oct 16, 2012
| Akron, Ohio
|| 121 mi
|| 2 weeks
|| Oct 30, 2012
| Youngstown, OH
|| 46 mi
|| 3 days
|| Nov 3, 2012
| Allentown, PA
|| 317 mi
|| 4.5 wks
|| Dec 6, 2012
| Newark, NJ
|| 76 mi
|| 1 week
|| Dec 14, 2012
| Zuccotti Park, NY
|| 9 mi
|| 1 day
|| Dec 15, 2012
Things YOU can do right now to help.
RECENT GA MINUTES
See All Occupy San Diego Announcements
to read all previous announcements about
- Where we meet, how to recover confiscated property from the San Diego Police Department, information for people were arrested, etc.
- Social Network Moderator Guidelines - OSD guidelines for moderating social network discussions
- OSD speaks at the Citizens Review Board of Police Practices on 1/24
Have you been mistreated by the Police? Have your First Amendment rights been violated? Have you been arrested for nothing, only to have the charges "unfiled" but held over your head for up to a year?
- First read this document: http://www.2momslaw.com/police_misconduct.pdf
- Make a Complaint: How to Make a Police Complaint
- Use this form: Complaint Form
- Forms also available in the lobby of City Hall.
- Citizen's Review Board member says we do NOT need names & badge numbers. File the complaint & it's up to SDPD to determine who the officer was (But it is better if we have them, of course).
- ALSO: By telephone or in writing to
- SDPD Internal Affairs Unit, 1401 Broadway, MS 709, San Diego CA 92101, (619) 531-2801
- Complaints made to the Citizens Review Board do not necessarily make it into the officers' personnel files
- Read this: Making Police Compliants That Stick
- Also, consider making a CLAIM against the city for your BOND money if charges were never filed. They have 45 days to reject the claim, then you file a lawsuit. It costs $400 to file unless you can claim low income.
Lutz suing Civic Center Plaza building owners and operators Project Details
- TELL POLICE HOW THEY ARE DOING: Police host monthly meetings in the community to get feedback from community members.
- More on this project... Including collected media, documents, photos, videos, etc.
- This is a VERY IMPORTANT project because we will directly engage wall street firms who own and operate the Civic Center Plaza office building.
- The National Lawyers Guild resources to protesters who have been arrested 619-500-4486 firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1st Circuit Rules Public Has Right to Videotape Police
- What to say to cops if you're busted. What you say and do can hurt you in court -- This is what I advise my clients to say when confronted by a law enforcement officer: "Officer, please understand I refuse to talk with you until I consult with my attorney. I also refuse to consent to any search of these premises or any other premises under my control, or in which I have a possessory, proprietary, or privacy interest, including my car, my body, or effects. I hereby demand to immediately be allowed the reasonable opportunity to obtain the advice of my attorney by telephone. from: http://layon.net/busted.php
- To check if someone is in jail check this website: http://apps.sdsheriff.net/wij/wij.aspx
- It usually takes about 6 hours for someone who has been arrested to pop up here. This site will tell you their charges, bail, etc. Jail's number is (619) 615-2700. The jail won't tell you much if anything that is not on the website. Please check this website before saying someone is in or out of jail to avoid confusion.
- FYI -- Penal Code 849.5. In any case in which a person is arrested and released and no accusatory pleading is filed charging him with an offense, any record of arrest of the person shall include a record of release. Thereafter, the arrest shall not be deemed an arrest, but a detention only.
- http://www.constitution.org/uslaw/defunlaw.htm -- Your rights when you are being arrested falsely.
LINKS AND REFERENCES
Links to sites/pages below that are no longer actively updated:
SEND THIS LINK AND TELL OTHERS TO SUBSCRIBE: http://lists.citizensoversight.org/mailman/listinfo/occupysd
If you have:
- lists of emails that should be subscribed
- events or notices that should be included
- needs or wants to request from our supporters
- specific requests for volunteers
SEND TO: email@example.com
and we'll work to get that information included in this daily update.
NOTICE TO MEDIA / DISCLAIMER |
Occupy San Diego is comprised of many people
with diverse opinions. This email does not provide
the official position of Occupy San Diego, but is
compiled for the use of supporters and occupiers
by a number of volunteers.
News Media that may subscribe to this email blast
should confirm all information from other sources.
THANK YOU FOR BEING INVOLVED.
Edited by Email Blast Team:
- Chris West (Editor/Events)
- Josephine P. (Media / Facebook)
- Ray Lutz (Mentor/Editor/Infrastructure)
- Occupy San Diego project page in "Common" web: Occupy San Diego
- New Occupy Project (new web): Occupy Web -- we will be migrating to this new web.